• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The way I understand current law, if one has a CCW permit in, say, Virginia, one can carry concealed in national parks in Virginia (or reciprocal states). But what about national parks in Maryland? Does state law keep anyone from carrying handguns? The idea of hiking or camping in national parks and not being able to carry a gun is outrageous.

Having just gotten my national parks card, if like to visit some national parks and am planning on getting a Virginia permit. To me, it's horribly unfair that some people can carry guns in a wilderness area with no cops and few rangers, and others can't.

Is it a good idea to carry anyway and be discreet, or is it a bad idea?

Thanks!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    nope. National Parks follow the law of the state they are in.

Therefore in MD-illegal

It's also horribly unfair that I can't get a W&C permit while some people can.

MD doesn't care about fairness

And forum rules prohibit advocating illegal acts

Attachments

• National Park Carry FAQ.pdf
      38.9 KB · Views: 232

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's a really, REALLY, bad idea to carry a handgun is this state without a carry permit.

Discreet or not.

Remember, boys and girls: Maryland will see us dead, before Maryland sees us carry.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Carry anyway???

You might want to edit your post.

Suggestions of illegality can get you in trouble here. Do what you do but don't talk about it here unless it's legal. Just my .02

WildBill

May 7, 2017
    I'm curious what the consequences would be, as no Maryland LEOs have jurisdiction in a national park. And as far as I know, the park service can't enforce state law, so it would be some federal charge in federal court.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You'd be violating Federal law, subject to arrest by Federal LE, including US Park Police

the only way to be legal in a National Park would be with an unrestricted W&C permit.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Any time I'm tempted, I think I have a better chance of getting hurt by some other means, break a leg or something. Then where do I hide the gun? In a bush, under a log, or in the back of the ambulance somewhere?

Get caught, THEN I lose all my guns. No, I'm doing that.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    Like others mentioned, I would not bring it to the parks because it is a federal government property and we have to comply. Regardless if I have W&C I would not bring it unless the law states so.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I plan on carrying (open) while I'm out in the back country of Glacier National Park. Just to avoid any issues I applied for my Utah CCW. Went to the class at Free State!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Like others mentioned, I would not bring it to the parks because it is a federal government property and we have to comply. Regardless if I have W&C I would not bring it unless the law states so.
    State law can't address carry in a national park so with a permit valid in that state you are good to go, just stay out of federal buildings on-site. Unlicensed open carry may even be an option depending on state law. IANAL

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    State law can't address carry in a national park so with a permit valid in that state you are good to go, just stay out of federal buildings on-site. Unlicensed open carry may even be an option depending on state law. IANAL

This!

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The way I understand current law, if one has a CCW permit in, say, Virginia, one can carry concealed in national parks in Virginia (or reciprocal states). But what about national parks in Maryland? Does state law keep anyone from carrying handguns? The idea of hiking or camping in national parks and not being able to carry a gun is outrageous.

Having just gotten my national parks card, if like to visit some national parks and am planning on getting a Virginia permit. To me, it's horribly unfair that some people can carry guns in a wilderness area with no cops and few rangers, and others can't.

Is it a good idea to carry anyway and be discreet, or is it a bad idea?

Thanks!

What is a national parks card?

You'd be violating Federal law, subject to arrest by Federal LE, including US Park Police

the only way to be legal in a National Park would be with an unrestricted W&C permit.

Or carry within your restrictions. It's possible for some.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is NO Federal law prohibiting CCW. The Federal statute says state law where the park is located applies.

As Boundless mentioned, stay out of Federal buildings where Federal employees are regularly present, like visitor centers and/or concession areas.

bathrooms are ok

Last edited:

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Just applied for my South Carolina CWP and I will be able to carry in any SC State park or any national park within SC. No federal building though.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Hmmm, so my unrestricted Maryland permit gives me a green light in national parks in Maryland?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    Hmmm, so my unrestricted Maryland permit gives me a green light in national parks in Maryland?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wish that were true. Carry in national parks is up to the laws of the state it is in. For example, to carry in Acadia you have to have a Maine permit. Maryland law states specifically no carry in State or Federal parks even if you have an unrestricted W&C permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom