• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Asking for just that - worth buying? I’ve been interested in a bolt gun in 30-06 to keep my Garand company, and I see a Remmie available.

I don’t quite have the scratch for a 1903 currently, and I like the Enfield style action, so it’s a definite ‘maybe’ on this newly found old rifle.

So let’s hear about it!

Echo6mike, going mobile...

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I have one, it was sporterized in the late 40's so with less stock mass it kicks like a mofo. Even with walmart remington .30-06 hunting rounds I can put 5 shots into a 3" circle @ 100 yds.. for a 103 year old 'beater' it is good enough for me.

One thing I do like about the 1917 is the safety position/setup and being a cock on close vs a mauser cock on open. You can store it with the bolt pushed forward into the receiver and flip the safety on to hold it there.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Asking for just that - worth buying? I’ve been interested in a bolt gun in 30-06 to keep my Garand company, and I see a Remmie available.

I don’t quite have the scratch for a 1903 currently, and I like the Enfield style action, so it’s a definite ‘maybe’ on this newly found old rifle.

So let’s hear about it!

Great shooting rifles, I had a Winchester for some time, all a matter of price and ultimately if you feel it’s a good value.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    This one is sporterized, it's got a decent target/hunting stock on it but definitely not original. It also does not have what look like Enfield sights, so I don't know... The rifle really looks like a later production commercial version, but I don't know if Remington actually made any of those. I'm going to have to go back and look at it again, what should I look for on there to figure out what exactly the deal is?

And the asking price is extremely low (< $500) so I'm a little leery of it, but if it's likely to be a good shooter it might be worth picking up.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    This one is sporterized, it's got a decent target/hunting stock on it but definitely not original. It also does not have what look like Enfield sights, so I don't know... The rifle really looks like a later production commercial version, but I don't know if Remington actually made any of those. I'm going to have to go back and look at it again, what should I look for on there to figure out what exactly the deal is?

And the asking price is extremely low (< $500) so I'm a little leery of it, but if it's likely to be a good shooter it might be worth picking up.

Sporterized 1917's don't go for much, couple hundred bucks. Remington did have a commercial model of the 1917, Remington Model 30, some of those can be very desirable, you may be looking at a Model 30.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/56/737/two-remington-model-30-rifles

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

If nothing’s been permanently changed (ex. barrel cut) it can be restored with correct parts and would be indistinguishable. That’s what I did with mine, it had a chopped stock and barrel bands had been removed and missing. I was able to find an original unmolested stock and simply put it on.

Here’s my time machine thread on it from 10yrs ago:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?47968&p=893013#post893013

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The US Model of 1917 is my favorite 30-06. It's also my only 30-06. Shoots great, recoil isn't bad, and you can run any 30-06 loads through it. If I ever go hunting again, I'm tempted to pack this one with me. And if I go feral pig hunting with it, I'll affix the bayonet to it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I like the rifle and the action. If I was ever going to get a dedicated hunting rifle I'd look for one that had been bubba'd.

The only down side is the length. They are a bit longer than most rifles out there, so if you have the shelf in your safe configured for your longest rifle you may need to reconfigure or leave your new possession leaning out a bit.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Just bought a 1903. Saved all my coins to get it. I looked at the other models but I wanted a Springfield and it’s a shooter . High number ,was put in service 1918. Very nice rifle. I paid for it , though

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Always kicking myself for not buying some when there were tables of them at Harrisburg for $95 each. But that was back in the late 80's so oh, well.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Took a couple of pics of the rear sights on this rifle today, they're very not original issue, but look pretty nice. Front sight is a plain post without protective wings, where it looks like the barrel is cut to about 20" (I didn't measure, the shop was swamped with customers).

rear sights 1.jpg

rear sights 2.jpg

Quite thoroughly sporterized, the only proof I see is on the bolt handle, only serial # is on the barrel, but it does seem to be nicely done. For 300 bucks it's tempting, and I'm the only name on the waiting list...

serial.jpg

Whatta y'all think? I'd like to wait until a .223/5.56 bolt action comes up, but this one looks purdy...

Feb 28, 2013
    The US Model of 1917 is my favorite 30-06. It's also my only 30-06. Shoots great, recoil isn't bad, and you can run any 30-06 loads through it. If I ever go hunting again, I'm tempted to pack this one with me. And if I go feral pig hunting with it, I'll affix the bayonet to it.

You like bein able to stab em from a half mile away? :innocent0 :D

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Should be an outstanding shooter, shame they drilled the receiver and cut the barrel, it’s nice to have them in original condition. How much did you pay?

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Should be an outstanding shooter, shame they drilled the receiver and cut the barrel, it’s nice to have them in original condition. How much did you pay?

Oh, I haven’t bought it, just waiting for it to come out of MoCo jail while I think about buying. I wonder if it might be a little harsh shooting, as short as it is. I’m used to 30-06 in a Garand, kinda want a 1903 but this is on the wall there tempting me.

This one might be worth 300 bucks, but I’m waffling.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Oh, I haven’t bought it, just waiting for it to come out of MoCo jail while I think about buying. I wonder if it might be a little harsh shooting, as short as it is. I’m used to 30-06 in a Garand, kinda want a 1903 but this is on the wall there tempting me.

This one might be worth 300 bucks, but I’m waffling.

.30-06 in all bolt guns hits harder than a Garand, my suggestion- use a slip on buttpad and you won’t mind it at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom