Does HK MP5A3 Collapsible Stock Meet Minimum 29" OAL Requirement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    The new Tailhook brace may be a option. There were photos from Shot Show showing it on an MP5. You wouldn't even have to go the SBR route. Get an A3 stock, remove buttpad, weld in the buffer tube part that takes the Tailhook, and voila!

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I've not yet been able to locate a link, but a friend told me there's some fellow in Arizona who sells OEM MP5 stocks he's modified along the lines of my original plan (i.e., welding an additional piece of rod into the sliders). The intention, in his case, is simply to give taller shooters a more comfortable reach with the MP5, but that'd also work to mitigate our mommies' [size] hysteria (even tho' they always assure us that size doesn't matter).

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    I've not yet been able to locate a link, but a friend told me there's some fellow in Arizona who sells OEM MP5 stocks he's modified along the lines of my original plan (i.e., welding an additional piece of rod into the sliders). The intention, in his case, is simply to give taller shooters a more comfortable reach with the MP5, but that'd also work to mitigate our mommies' [size] hysteria (even tho' they always assure us that size doesn't matter).
    that sounds perfect. I tried searching based on what you mentioned,but found nothing.

For the time being, I'm going to try to build an extension for my A2 stock. I ordered a cheap airspoft MP5A2 stock ($15) off eBay, and a 12"x12" sheet of 0.125" Kydex from Amazon. I'll make what amounts to a giant cheekrest or bridge the gap between the sling mount holes on the real stock and the rearmost ~3" of the airsoft one.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    For the time being, I'm going to try to build an extension for my A2 stock. I ordered a cheap airspoft MP5A2 stock ($15) off eBay, and a 12"x12" sheet of 0.125" Kydex from Amazon. I'll make what amounts to a giant cheekrest or bridge the gap between the sling mount holes on the real stock and the rearmost ~3" of the airsoft one.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just curious... has anyone considered the 12.7" barrel HK sells? With the A3 4 position stock it would be about 31.5". collapsed, 25" or so. Longer than desirable, but I see 4 options: Frankenstock, AR stock, muzzle abomination, or longer barrel.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    FYI - I have an older ATI AT94P with the MSP. If it gets approved for the March roster, then you will have an option for a factory 16" MP5 pistol.

These were the MKE pistols imported in 2010 or so. They came as pistols but with 16" barrels. Probably cheaper to have one cut as opposed to installing a whole new barrel.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    A little bit of a sidetrack with respect to MP5K pistols, but SB Tactical is releasing a brace that fits on a standard milspec receiver extension.

While it may diverge from the look, you could possibly install this brace on a K and get to >26". That means you can install the forward vertical grip on your "firearm" since its not a "handgun" per the ATF.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sba3/

A3_Extended_Right_5674_EDITFLAT-web1.jpg

As for the Tail Hook brace, I have parts at a shop for modification and can provide some pics once its done. For the short term, I am punting my plans to SBR the fullsize MP5.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Personally, I would be hesitant to use a brace that uses a standard milspec receiver. It’s easy to argue that the brave could easily be removed and replaced with a stock. Just my opinion though.

SwerveAM

Jun 26, 2011
    Just curious... has anyone considered the 12.7" barrel HK sells? With the A3 4 position stock it would be about 31.5". collapsed, 25" or so. Longer than desirable, but I see 4 options: Frankenstock, AR stock, muzzle abomination, or longer barrel.

Adding to this a question about how tough would it be to change barrel?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    How difficult is it to change a barrel?
    Similar to AK if you've ever done it. Press out cross pin, press out bbl, press in new bbl to proper headspacing (this is the fiddly part), drill and press cross pin in (this likely needs a jig to prevent egging out holes in the trunnion)

Not sure this has been brought up: There is a HK 3-lug flash hider you could weld to get about another inch. Wouldn't look silly (but couldn't use a suppressor either.) Might get you over 29" w/ other stock solutions that are close but no cigar? You wouldn't actually have to weld to the bbl. Just weld the latch closed. Would be easy to remove w/ a grinder if you ever permanently left MD w/o doing any damage to the bbl.

Attachments

• 3-Lug-9mm-Flash-Hider-German-7.jpg
      3-Lug-9mm-Flash-Hider-German-7.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 594

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Personally, I would be hesitant to use a brace that uses a standard milspec receiver. It’s easy to argue that the brave could easily be removed and replaced with a stock. Just my opinion though.
    Your point is moot unless he has a stock on hand and readily available to be installed on said MP5.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

SwerveAM

Jun 26, 2011
    Similar to AK if you've ever done it. Press out cross pin, press out bbl, press in new bbl to proper headspacing (this is the fiddly part), drill and press cross pin in (this likely needs a jig to prevent egging out holes in the trunnion)

Not sure this has been brought up: There is a HK 3-lug flash hider you could weld to get about another inch. Wouldn't look silly (but couldn't use a suppressor either.) Might get you over 29" w/ other stock solutions that are close but no cigar? You wouldn't actually have to weld to the bbl. Just weld the latch closed. Would be easy to remove w/ a grinder if you ever permanently left MD w/o doing any damage to the bbl.

Never done AK before but thank you very much for the reply and walkthrough. Sounds like I might have to sell before moving... :(

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    This is a lot of fun to shoot and measures 26.5" to the 3-lug. I could install a VFG and fall into the legal firearm category. An SBR is preferable but at this point $200 is better spent elsewhere.

I like this full size so much I am considering selling the Z-5P. This AT94P is super smooth and, knock on wood, has eaten the flat point point ammo from KCI/ATI mags without any hiccups.

Currently running through 135gr HP subsonics from LAX Ammo.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This is a lot of fun to shoot and measures 26.5" to the 3-lug. I could install a VFG and fall into the legal firearm category. An SBR is preferable but at this point $200 is better spent elsewhere.

I like this full size so much I am considering selling the Z-5P. This AT94P is super smooth and, knock on wood, has eaten the flat point point ammo from KCI/ATI mags without any hiccups.

Currently running through 135gr HP subsonics from LAX Ammo.

what brace is that?

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    what brace is that?

POF A3 stock + 3D printed round thing from internet + tailhook

Add in some cutting and drilling! I bought the 3D part from this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v91Tww7vVFc&t=21s
    flood@farrow.tech

I bought the POF and tailhook used, so it wasn't too bad.

https://techsmithmfg.com/
    This a company that is making adapters as well as modifying stocks BUT they require the "F" stock, which is 4 position and much more money than a POF. But man, this Techsmith outfit is killing it with their stuff. Lots of adapters for a bunch of the PCCs.

hiattda

Aug 30, 2018
    MP5 29 Inches

So I read everything I could find on other's attempts to modify the collapsible stock to get it long enough for a 29 inch length.

I could only think of one thing that I have not read before. The HK33 collapsible stock is supposed to have a longer LOP and could be used to attach to the MP5 collapsible stock by swapping out the forks. I asked Gatewood Supply to measure the fork length and they are the same as the F stock. The longer LOP just puts it to ruffly the same size as the F stock when extended.

I couldn't find a way to get out to 29 inches with a collapsible stock. I ended up going the muzzle route. I had the SilencerCo ASR 9mm flash hider pinned and welded. It's a little over 29.25 inches and it still can be shot suppressed.

SilencerCo has the Omega 9 and the Hybrid that can be used with the ASR 9mm mount.

Attachments

• IMG_6157.jpg
      IMG_6157.jpg
      100.7 KB · Views: 406
    • IMG_6156.jpg
      IMG_6156.jpg
      112.5 KB · Views: 398

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    29.5"
    Shoulder thing that goes up
    Schnejerator has a point about the metal. I’ve never handled an MPX, but in photos it looks much more robust than the MP5 one.

I never thought of a Shoulder Thing That Goes Up! (STTGU?) Looks like the wire shoulder rest on the M240/M249 stock. Very clever!

Right after I posted, I ordered an A2 stock and was thinking I’d do a fixed (read low-tech, low-skill) version of schnejerator’s extension to keep it legal in MD. Now I kinda wish I’d just ordred the A3 stock to try the dontpanic STTGU. Maybe I'll try the shoulder rest loop on the A2. When it gets here I'll decide which one I want to try.

Finally got around to tracking down one of these:

M249 shoulder rest, aka STTGU.

I’m going to drill 1 or 2 holes laterally in the buttpad of my A2 stock. I’m guessing offset side’s in separate holes will make it lock in the up and stowed positions.

Attachments

• 189858D3-1306-4226-BD80-C5F7BD3A8057.jpg
      189858D3-1306-4226-BD80-C5F7BD3A8057.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 318

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Does the HK MP5A3 Collapsible Stock Meet Minimum 29" OAL Requirement? If not, is there another collapsible or fold-able stock that fits the MP5A3 that does?

2.5664-heckler-e-koch-mp5-2.5785web.jpg

I still think there's money to be made for someone to make an inflatable buttpad (for more comfortable shooting while adding 6 or so inches to LOP:innocent: ).

So funny that the ATF loses their shirt over what constitutes a permanently attached flashhider when determining OAL, but nobody cares about the buttpad held in place with 2 screws at the other end. Then again, someone would probably write letters to the ATF asking for clarification until they said no...

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Finally got around to tracking down one of these:

M249 shoulder rest, aka STTGU.

I’m going to drill 1 or 2 holes laterally in the buttpad of my A2 stock. I’m guessing offset side’s in separate holes will make it lock in the up and stowed positions.

It's pretty easy. I even bent my own sttgu out of 3/16" round stock. I used another puece of it as the stop in the up position and black domed screw covers to hold it in the down position.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom