• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Long Did It Take TO Get Your HQL Approval?

• < 1 Day

Votes: 70 7.3%
    • 2 Days

Votes: 60 6.3%
    • 3 Days

Votes: 44 4.6%
    • 4 Days

Votes: 22 2.3%
    • 5 Days

Votes: 31 3.2%
    • 6 Days

Votes: 18 1.9%
    • 7 Days

Votes: 47 4.9%
    • 8 Days

Votes: 21 2.2%
    • 9 Days

Votes: 30 3.1%
    • 10+ Days

Votes: 611 63.8%
    • Denied HQL

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

Sjones537

Mar 17, 2017
    I applied on 3/16. As of yesterday I had all completes except for 3 incompletes. Hoping it goes through in the next day or so. More because I am tired of checking every day. I just want my new gun!
    If it follows suit with how mine went down you will be approved by morning the next day.

BigpapaXCT

Mar 21, 2017
    That was today and nothing. However, I am sure it will be in the next day or so. My guess is that they do a batch and complete all the easy stuff. Then they go back in to do the remaining criminal checks and secondary review and then approve it.

BigpapaXCT

Mar 21, 2017
    Approved

So original date of app - 3/16 in the evening.
    All status' were approved except 3 on 3/28
    Full approval on 3/30.

14 days..not too bad at all.

Last edited:

Chikane

Mar 29, 2017
    I submitted on 3/18 and was approved online active status on 3/27, I'm still waiting for the card in the mail. Hopefully, it will come soon. How long does it usually take for the mail to arrive? I'm guessing about a week? from looking at the person above me.

and from reading the thread about 16 days.

kargente

Jun 2, 2014
    Beltsville

Applied 3/18/17
    Active 4/3/17

Most of the checks were completed on 3/27/17.

Cheers. The wait is sort of over. Can't wait untill I have it in hand.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Applied 3/18/17
    Active 4/3/17

Most of the checks were completed on 3/27/17.

Cheers. The wait is sort of over. Can't wait untill I have it in hand.

It looks like your card is about as close as we can get to March 31. Would you be willing to share your HQL number just XX the last two digits so I can update this thread about the number of HQL's issued?
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177968&page=7

The March 31 number gives us the total issued for the first quarter of 2017. The numbers are issued sequentially each year starting over on January 1. We have been keeping a running total since it went into effect scroll back in the thread above and you can see the totals.

Sjones537

Mar 17, 2017
    I submitted on 3/18 and was approved online active status on 3/27, I'm still waiting for the card in the mail. Hopefully, it will come soon. How long does it usually take for the mail to arrive? I'm guessing about a week? from looking at the person above me.

and from reading the thread about 16 days.
    I got my card 3 days after my HQL was listed "Active".

I think it's all about timing. They more than likely process in batches to save man hours. I was lucky though because my dealer only needed the Active HQL number while some demand to see the physical card.

kargente

Jun 2, 2014
    Beltsville
    It looks like your card is about as close as we can get to March 31. Would you be willing to share your HQL number just XX the last two digits so I can update this thread about the number of HQL's issued?
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=177968&page=7

The March 31 number gives us the total issued for the first quarter of 2017. The numbers are issued sequentially each year starting over on January 1. We have been keeping a running total since it went into effect scroll back in the thread above and you can see the totals.
    I posted it on that thread. Its HQL-2017-0085XX. Cheers.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    Wow! They are doing this much faster these days. My wife submitted hers on 4/15 and it went active today. All of the checks were completed 4/18.

silentdynasty

Apr 7, 2017
    MoCo
    GUESS WHAT everyone? I got approved for my HQL in one day so my permit is on the way to me in 7-10 business days!!! I got a call from MSP this morning stating that my HQL is approved! One day turnaround! BAM!

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Mine took 11 days but it has not arrived in the mail yet. Way to expensive of a process but I guess I could have saved money if I remembered that hunter's safety could have counted as training. But that was so long ago that I don't know where the paperwork is.

May 21, 2017
    Harm City
    I just applied on 4/20 (ha) and got approved on 5/2. 12 days to get approved. Ironically the NICS-where the I stands for instant- took like 10 days to be completed. Took over two weeks to get my HQL. The card got sent back to the state police and I got an email asking me what I'd like to do. So I called them and the secretary was nice enough to let me drive all the way down to Reisterstown and pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anwil6

May 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I applied 4/19, approved 5/03 and received license in the mail by 5/08. About a two-week time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I applied Friday June 9th, was approved already when I checked Monday AM, received in mail Wed June 14th. I think I got lucky....

Jun 20, 2017
    I applied for my HQL on 06/19 and it's already showing approved today. I'll update once I receive the card, but this was way faster than I had expected!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom