• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Not sure if this is correct place for topic but wondering if anyone frequents this facility and could give an overview of its services? Any and all info is welcomed.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    The offer Skeet, trap (American and sometimes International), Sporting Clays, and wobble trap. They rent guns and sell shells so you can just bring a bunch of money and they’ll set you up with everything you need. Ear and eye protection is mandatory. They do have a minimum barrel length of 23”. I believe targets are $6.00 a round for Skeet and trap. I don’t know about Sporting since I haven’t shot it there in years. No rifles or pistols or shells with shot sizes larger than 7 1/2’s. And the smaller the number the larger the shot. So 5’s are larger than 7 1/2’s and therefore not allowed. Anything else more specific?

http://www.pgparks.com/Facilities/Facility/Details/Trap-Skeet-Center-109

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Went there with a group from work. Took a group lesson in Sporting Clays. Center provided several guns and the shells.

Nice facility, very good instruction, good experience.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Aamd.... covered the basics.

What are you look to do? What experience do you have?

I work there most weekends and helped a handfull of first timers shoot today. Normally, I would be working the Wobble stand tomorrow, except I'm racing my boat tomorrow.

Sporting Clays: you will need to buy a card, $10, card is yours to keep. They will load targets on the card in sets of 50. It's $22 per 50 targets, which they actually give you 65, the extra 15 are called lookers. Example, you and two friend are gonna short Sporting Clays, then typically you would load 3 sets on your card. Card $10, 3 sets of targets $66 which would be 195 targets; sounds like a lot, really isn't. When I soot sporting by myself, and am working on some of the stands I'm struggling with, I can blow thru 75 shots/ Targets in 25 minutes.

A couple ways to save $, are:
    - buy ammo by the flat or case which is 10 boxes, price varies a little
    - buy trap/ skeet/ or Wobble tickets buy the book of 10; $5 per game instead of $6.
    - Gun rental: $15/ gun. Share a gun. You can share a gun in Skeet and Sporting and shoot together. In trap and wobble if you're sharing a gun you won't be able to shoot together in the same game.

Golf carts if available are $15.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actual address is Glen Dale , but it is near Greenbelt Rd , and only a few minutes from the eastern border of Greenbelt city .

Was built by Winchester circa 1977 . ( Winchester built it, had 10yr lease, at end of lease the buildings and improvements belonged to PG Co .

After that , Beretta had the contract to operate . After Beretta's contracts ran out , MNCPPC operates directly .

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Went there with a group from work. Took a group lesson in Sporting Clays. Center provided several guns and the shells.

Nice facility, very good instruction, good experience.

How big or small of a group do they take and is it by appointment only or walk up?

Aamd.... covered the basics.

What are you look to do? What experience do you have?

I work there most weekends and helped a handfull of first timers shoot today. Normally, I would be working the Wobble stand tomorrow, except I'm racing my boat tomorrow.

Sporting Clays: you will need to buy a card, $10, card is yours to keep. They will load targets on the card in sets of 50. It's $22 per 50 targets, which they actually give you 65, the extra 15 are called lookers. Example, you and two friend are gonna short Sporting Clays, then typically you would load 3 sets on your card. Card $10, 3 sets of targets $66 which would be 195 targets; sounds like a lot, really isn't. When I soot sporting by myself, and am working on some of the stands I'm struggling with, I can blow thru 75 shots/ Targets in 25 minutes.

A couple ways to save $, are:
    - buy ammo by the flat or case which is 10 boxes, price varies a little
    - buy trap/ skeet/ or Wobble tickets buy the book of 10; $5 per game instead of $6.
    - Gun rental: $15/ gun. Share a gun. You can share a gun in Skeet and Sporting and shoot together. In trap and wobble if you're sharing a gun you won't be able to shoot together in the same game.

Golf carts if available are $15.

Looking to do it all I guess since I have no experience at all.
    The ammo is sold at facility or do you bring your own ammo?
    Why are golf cart needed?
    And what size ammo is used for skeet and trap shooting?

Last edited:

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    How big or small of a group do they take and is it by appointment only or walk up?

Looking to do it all I guess since I have no experience at all.
    The ammo is sold at facility or do you bring your own ammo?
    Why are golf cart needed?
    And what size ammo is used for skeet and trap shooting?

They sell ammo. I think its around $7-8 per 25 shells. I'd suggest you go to walmart or academy and buy a box (100 shells) for like $20-22.

You don't really need a golf cart if you're able to walk 300-400 yards around the whole place.

Size >7.5, but its preference...

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    They sell ammo. I think its around $7-8 per 25 shells. I'd suggest you go to walmart or academy and buy a box (100 shells) for like $20-22.

You don't really need a golf cart if you're able to walk 300-400 yards around the whole place.

Size >7.5, but its preference...
    Just got in from WM and purchased #8 100 count

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Why the 23" barrel length minimum? I understand stand not wanting sbs but why not 18.5?

They got tired of the tacticool guys showing up wanting to shoot slugs, buckshot, etc. Some of the guns didn’t even have full stocks, just pistol grips. The rule at my club is 21”.

It’s just the wrong gun for the task at hand. It’s like taking a desert eagle to an IPSC/USPSA/IDPA match.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Haven't been there in a few years. It's a decent place and the wait isn't usually long. The staff outside is usually young guys who are pretty cool. No Nazi nuts searching for excuses to exert their impotence on you.
    Inside the building actions have to be open. Cheaper to bring your own shells.
    You can arrange for groups if you want to take the office for team building or whatever the PC term is these days.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    They got tired of the tacticool guys showing up wanting to shoot slugs, buckshot, etc. Some of the guns didn’t even have full stocks, just pistol grips. The rule at my club is 21”.

It’s just the wrong gun for the task at hand. It’s like taking a desert eagle to an IPSC/USPSA/IDPA match.

I'd like to bring my 22" FN SLP, as some 3-gun stages require hitting clays and I can not reliably hit a moving clay with said shotgun. Bull Run has a 23" minimum barrel length, so I haven't been able to try with the FN or the 590a1. I really don't want to have to cross the river to use the FN, looks like I'll have to. I'm sure I'll get the side eye with the +4 extended tube on it :rolleyes:

I'd like to bring my 22" FN SLP, as some 3-gun stages require hitting clays and I can not reliably hit a moving clay with said shotgun. Bull Run has a 23" minimum barrel length, so I haven't been able to try with the FN or the 590a1. I really don't want to have to cross the river to use the FN, looks like I'll have to. I'm sure I'll get the side eye with the +4 extended tube on it :rolleyes:

Just remember at PG - no field loads - no high brass. 2 3/4 dram equivalent, 7 1/2 or smaller. Shotguns in cases in the house is a no no.

All voice control on trap/skeet ranges. Wobble uses 5-stand positions, self pull on timer, or immediate with a friend.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    Shotguns in cases in the house is a no no.

I’ve been going there for 30 years and have never heard of this though it’s not my home club. Then again I put my O/U together at the back of my SUV. Does this apply to breakdown cases? Or just long cases?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I’ve been going there for 30 years and have never heard of this though it’s not my home club. Then again I put my O/U together at the back of my SUV. Does this apply to breakdown cases? Or just long cases?

All cases!

Sign on entry to each of the two doors regarding firearms in cases.

Actually they are very anal about firearm in cases, which in my opinion is more secure.

BUT their range & rules.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    All cases!

Sign on entry to each of the two doors regarding firearms in cases.

Actually they are very anal about firearm in cases, which in my opinion is more secure.

BUT their range & rules.

Shows you how much I read. I agree, their range, their rules. Now that I think about it I remember the signs on the doors but probably stopped reading when it started talking about no cases because it never applied to me. I agree, it probably is safer without the cased guns in there. I shoot an 11 pound o/u with Skeet tubes in a Nasco case. I try not to carry it any more than I have to. It’s heavy. At my home club we have guys that bring their cases into the club house. They’re breakdown cases so I’m not concerned about the safety of it. We do have a rule about no dry firing or use of snap caps at our club. Which I agree with too. I’ve heard many stories of ND’s using snap caps/dry firing guns in club houses. PG must be doing something right with all the new/casual shooters that come through there with nothing major happening. Thanks again for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom