• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hey all:

This is totally pie-in-the sky, but where would one look if one wanted to find a "shooter" Webley (don't care what version, MK I - MK VI and honestly don't really know the difference) in .455? And what would you expect to pay?

I know that there are .45ACP and .45Auto Rim conversions out there, but I also understand that you have to use specially loaded (low pressure) .45 if you want to do it safely. I think that an original in .455 sounds cooler, but I also understand that the ammo is fairly rare - Fiocchi seems to make it, but not regularly.

What's the lowdown on these?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I would try to find a Mark VI in .455 for a "shooters grade". Unfortunately, after some Indiana Jones movie, all of them became trendy and the prices went stupid.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Check the inventory at A1 Uniform Sales. They had a few in the case from my collection.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a Webley with War Finish in 38 S&W
    it was what was affordable.
    The tanker versions with the cut hammer are sometimes less expensive.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I sold my Webley Pryce MKIV for $700 to collector in CA. He low balled me and I had no other interested parties so I sold it. I also had 2 boxes of Canadian Dominion .455. Sold those separately. Everyone seems to be interested in them now. Maybe I should have held on to it. I never shot it but I think it would have been ok. The bullets were LRN not sure on the grains. Pretty cool gun but I tend to get rid of things that just sit around. I had no intention of shooting it. With the money I got for the MKIV I bought a CZ455 and a scope, so not a totally bad deal.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Will be hard to find. They are out there but I have never seen much in the way of "shooter grade" probably most on the market these days fall in lower end collectibles (finish, no unit markings etc.) Figure $900 to $1000. Even the cut ones are starting to get north of $700 (almost turned one down for $150 back years ago and ended up heehawing and snagging it, glad I did).

I have a non matching project gun (uncut) I got for around $400 a couple years ago that only has about 10% finish but I am going to do a minor resto on for a shooter. Needs some work on the internals etc.

Also factor in the cost of shooting the thing. Webley ammo is very hard to find and pricey. Even handloading I probably am looking at $1.50 a round, last times Buffalo Arms had brass I bought them out.

That said its a fun gun to shoot, its like throwing softballs so deeply subsonic you can hear the rounds bounce in the dirt after going through a target like cannon balls. Sort of like black powder.

If you end up with a cut one, just use down powered .45 auto rim, its actually about the same shooting experience and cost.

Oh by the way the Mark V and Mark VI's are the only ones technically rated for cordite and comparable to smokeless powder.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have seen Mark VI examples in .455 for what I think are crazy prices (around $1k) and shaved examples for $600-800. I bought/traded for a "War Finish" Mark IV .380 that likes to hang up a bit when cycling but shoots single action very nicely for under $500 when all said an done. I would like to have the whole "hang up" thing fixed, but I don't shoot it enough to justify spending the money (I almost always shoot single action anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom