• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Could you have your wife sign over all her firearms/ammo? Then get a steel gun cabinet and ammo cabinet. I would then put all firearms/ammo in them. You keep the only key. I personally, don't care about the use of medical cannabis, for medical reasons. Issued under a doctors care of course. I think cannabis use for personal consumption has a few issues, its not like alcohol. I'm also concerned about what will be next, people are already want stronger stuff to be made legal.

You mean in the sense that unlike alcohol it doesn't kill ~80,000 people annually? :sad20:

Alcohol and nicotine should be illegal. By that I mean, if the standard is what is "dangerous" and destructive to use and what kills totally innocent bystanders. Both are physically addictive and cause far more misery and expense.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    You mean in the sense that unlike alcohol it doesn't kill ~80,000 people annually? :sad20:

Alcohol and nicotine should be illegal. By that I mean, if the standard is what is "dangerous" and destructive to use and what kills totally innocent bystanders. Both are physically addictive and cause far more misery and expense.

No... In the sense, one drinks from a container (glass, bottle, etc), the other is ingested via a gas and the exhale, still a gas, contains the drug. Kinda like cigarettes, pipes etc. :sad20: So maybe there needs to be special place to use the drug. Public makes it very hard for smokers these days.

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    IANAL

On the question of constructive possession, a safe in home (even if she does NOT have the combo) will not suffice. Maryland appears to take an extremely liberal interpretation of constructive possession.

The only safe way for your colleague to proceed is to vault with an approved entity completely outside the home and never bring the weapons to the residence. Further, they should never travel together if he has the weapon, any ammo, or any magazines. This also includes staying in hotels. Maryland could determine those circumstances as constructive possession as well.

It might also be useful if she discontinues any memberships to ranges / gun clubs / other entities that show an ongoing interest in firearms.

I realize this is all waaaaay tinfoil hat paranoid - we live in Maryland. Everyone here knows what 2A folks are up against.

I sorry for your colleague’s wife’s circumstance. I hope she recovers to full health soonest.

Last edited by a moderator:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    No... In the sense, one drinks from a container (glass, bottle, etc), the other is ingested via a gas and the exhale, still a gas, contains the drug. Kinda like cigarettes, pipes etc. :sad20: So maybe there needs to be special place to use the drug. Public makes it very hard for smokers these days.

There is no need to "smoke" Cannabis any longer..... There are several ways to ingest.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    There is no need to "smoke" Cannabis any longer..... There are several ways to ingest.

Great, as long as it is not in a form that can be transmitted to another person against their will or as long as they don't drive, use heavy machinery, etc. But I'm a fan of the heaver stuff.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Great, as long as it is not in a form that can be transmitted to another person against their will or as long as they don't drive, use heavy machinery, etc. But I'm a fan of the heaver stuff.

I'm not sure what "heavier" exactly means.

A grown/healthy male can begin to consume ~90 proof alcohol in 1.5oz doses every 5 minutes. Within an hour he will fully useless both mentally and physically, within two hours that person will likely die from the consumption.

Now,... your turn. Lay out that same example using Marijuana. Should be easy right? if you consume enough you'll become ill, throw up,........die?

Right?

.....Wrong. :o

There IS such a thing as alcohol overdose (that can lead to death).

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    MDS Cage Match!!

th
    vs.
    th

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I'm not sure what "heavier" exactly means.

A grown/healthy male can begin to consume ~90 proof alcohol in 1.5oz doses every 5 minutes. Within an hour he will fully useless both mentally and physically, within two hours that person will likely die from the consumption.

Now,... your turn. Lay out that same example using Marijuana. Should be easy right? if you consume enough you'll become ill, throw up,........die?

Right?

.....Wrong. :o

There IS such a thing as alcohol overdose (that can lead to death).

You need to chill, your barking up the wrong tree. I'm not after or against your Marijuana. I don't need a lecture about the virtues of Marijuana. In fact, I welcome it, and hope it is taxed as heavily as cigarettes. Heaver stuff are things such as but not limited to: Magic Mushrooms, heroin, hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, benzodiazepines, alprazolam, flunitrazepam , clonazepam, lorazepam, methamphetamine, cocaine, etc. If you have a problem with that we will just have to disagree.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Man something that should be so simple is so complicated. It is crazy to me that there is no readily available information on this. My coworker cannot possibly be the first person to ask this question... The fact regular people almost need a lawyer to understand wtf the laws are is so frustrating.....

Thanks for all the input so far, maybe one day we will know for sure.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Man something that should be so simple is so complicated. It is crazy to me that there is no readily available information on this. My coworker cannot possibly be the first person to ask this question... The fact regular people almost need a lawyer to understand wtf the laws are is so frustrating.....

Thanks for all the input so far, maybe one day we will know for sure.

Sadly, this is something that will have to be clarified by the courts. And somebody is going to have to be the test case, and spend a bunch of money to find out. All of this is a shame, but the law (or maybe law enforcement officers and the courts) assumes guilt before innocence can be proven.

All of this is ********, of course. It's time for the fed to decriminalize pot for medical use. They can deal with recreational use later.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Brad I often feel that bills are written by lawyers, pushed to pass by lawyers, passed into law by lawyers (in office) and therefore need interpretation by lawyers before one even walks out of there house. Job security of sorts. Good luck.

Over sensitive vs. blind to the 80K deaths per year. Hmmm

I honestly believe that ... we’ll shit, given the fact that alcohol companies are against legalizing it shows that less people will turn to the “drug” alcohol, eat some pot brownies (or just one!) and therefore that 80K Deaths # will drop. Yeah, I don’t believe eliminating firearms will reduce the murder rate but I do believe that less people drinking and driving will reduce that 80K. Follow the money.
    No offense meant my good peeps, just a thought.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I really don't know for sure.. but...
    I do not remember ever seeing a question "Is anyone living in your home a prohibited person" on the forms you fill out to buy a gun.

tmo8320

Mar 31, 2019
    I really don't know for sure.. but...
    I do not remember ever seeing a question "Is anyone living in your home a prohibited person" on the forms you fill out to buy a gun.

You are 100% correct, kalister1.

There is no question that asks that as it is beyond the scope of the laws governing firearm purchases.

It would be analogous to a car dealer asking if anyone in the home is not a licensed driver prior to selling the car. They don’t need to ascertain that to sell the vehicle. It also does not negate the requirement that of age / licensed drivers are the only persons that should be conducting a vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Does anyone have any information or can help shed some light on how to legally tread these waters?

Forget the pot card and get the doctor to prescribe Dronabinol. It's been around for years. IANAL and IANAD.

In my book, the medical marijuana "thing" is just legalized pot usage. Dronabinol exists for cases where there is some efficacy without all the need for the smokescreen.

Dmacri25

Ultimate Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    BelAir,MD
    For what its worth, I got a letter back from MSP in regards to being a caretaker for someone with a card; My dad was prescribed it for various things. Its actually helped him alot!

Dear Mr Macri;

A medical marijuana caretaker would not be prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm.

Below is the question on the 77R concerning medical marijuana.

Are you a legal user of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes or are you issued a valid medical cannabis patient identification number or a valid medical cannabis patient identification card?

Thank you,

Sergeant Jason Edwards
    Maryland State Police
    Licensing Division
    Firearms Registration Unit

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    .......My dad was prescribed it for various things. Its actually helped him alot!

Don't waste your breath around here.... as far as most Members here are concerned, no one benefits from Cannabis and it's all a big ploy for people to get high.

Alcohol use/abuse? That we're totally fine with, drinking yourself into a stupor is perfectly acceptable as alcohol is legal per out Government.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom