• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I haven't read this in a while, but why would anyone consider spot lighting for woodchucks at night? The aren't even up at first light and normally in the hole way before dusk.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I have a groundhog that took up residence under my shed.

I live in Baltimore county, can I shoot it with a .22 or bow? I called the Maryland Wildlife, they said I don't need permit to trap. I forget to ask if I could just shoot it.

I can't seem to find any info online about shooting nuisance wildlife in Baltimore county.

if anyone knows or can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.

Nutria And Woodchuck

The nutria and woodchuck (groundhog) are classified as “unprotected mammals.” As such:

A hunting license and furbearer permit are not required to hunt nutria and woodchucks except in Baltimore County, where a hunting license is required to hunt woodchucks.
    Nutria and woodchucks may be hunted throughout the year, including Sundays.
    Hunters must wear daylight fluorescent color clothing while hunting woodchucks.
    All hunting devices legal for other game animals may be used to hunt nutria and woodchucks.
    Daily furbearer shooting hours are one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset (unless otherwise specified).

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/furbearer-hunting-trapping/

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've got a new "Fatty" moved in under my shed. Almost had a shot at him today. I will apply bait tomorrow. Mmmmm, cantaloupe! Come and get it...

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My whistlepig fatwa has been on pause. My big farm is tied up in some drama. I've done pretty good on my FIL's. So not to many there now. At least easily seen.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Finally!

Attachments

• 20180811_181106.jpg
      20180811_181106.jpg
      188.1 KB · Views: 175

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Hit one at my FIL's today. It dumped a bunch of blood before self burying itself. I was walking along the fenceline and it was sitting on the same pile of old poles I've shot many off of. In the pic above. No pics from today. I did put a AR500 groundhog silhouette at 135yards out to plink.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No pics, but took out a whistle pig at about 40yds a few yards from going under my garden fence with some CCI quiet segmented. Not sure how many I hit it with. Took 4 shots and I know I hit it with 2, but may have been all 4. First one it spun 180 and headed back the way it came about a yard before I stopped, but it again and it flipped and started rolling around so I waited another couple of seconds it popped two more. Not sure on the 3rd shot, but 4th I am pretty sure it raked it front to rear when it was twisted on its back.

When I went to chuck it a little later I saw two easily identifiable entry sounds and another one that might have been an entry wound. A few tiny little exit wounds were segements punched through. Maybe 4 in all?

Those segmented rounds sure are nasty. I’d really like to get some of the segmented minimags to see what they’d do. I am pretty sure the first shot was lethal as it entered right at its lungs, but pest or no, didn’t really care to just let it sit around and bleed out slowly if it took a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom