• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Some of these briefs. Dang.

Former NYC police chief argues that it's reasonable to prevent people from possessing (even at home!) let alone carrying weapons for self defense because:

1) NYC is really crowded. Uniquely so. A gun in NYC is much more dangerous than, say, my gun when I get into an elevator at capacity in West Virginia. Because NYC is the center of the universe and everything is always more there.
    2) Even cops have to fire lots of shots to subdue somebody, and normal people will be dangerous if they do that.
    3) Even suicides could get the neighbor shot.
    4) Heller allows regulations on possessing guns in "sensitive places" (such as courtrooms). The ex-PoPo-chief asserts that all of New York City is just such a sensitive place.
    5) ... and more such silliness.

Most importantly: the current draconian laws prevent confrontations on the street. I'm sure he's convinced that criminals also obey the current laws, as they always do. Oh, and this case risks overturning Heller. It's so good of him to look out for Heller for us!

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The Sheldon Whitehouse brief is a complete political attack on the court. Is he trying to piss off the court?

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The Sheldon Whitehouse brief is a complete political attack on the court. Is he trying to piss off the court?

I think he is trying to piss of the court plus all the rest of them it seems to me are really afraid that if SCOTUS does take the case and rules against NYC then it will open the door to allow people to carry and of course they against the little people are allowed to defend themselves and their family while they are out of their home. It all comes down to controlling society as a whole so they can stay in power over the little people..

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

I am sorry but are you really unaware that the Democrats' position is that Heller is illegitimate decision? A huge number of them don't just say Heller was wrong, but that it was illegitimate.

If a Democrat wins the White House, given Clarence Thomas' issues with obesity there is a better than even chance that a Democrat will be replacing RBG and Thomas. This will result in a total reversal of Heller at the earliest moment. Have you heard any national Democratic candidate say they support Heller?

In Blue states this will result in a massive increase in gun control. People who assert that today's gun control in Maryaland is as bad as it can get, or that Democrats and Republican elected officials or judges appointed by them "are the same" on 2A don't understand fck all about reality or what is coming the moment the Democrats change just one vote on Scotus. The target is Australia style gun control, no semi auto of any kind, no pistol of any kind, and essentially "may issue" -- prove a need -- for even a break action shotgun. There are a dozen classes of gun laws that can be passed on the way to that making gun ownership an expensive and liability filled nightmare

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Oh, jebus the National Education Association has filed an amicus brief.

The function of the gun control lobby is to launder dark money and charitable deductible money into the Democratic party. The gun control lobby outspends the NRA and all pro-2A groups by 10x.

The NEA's function is to launder money into campaigns, electioneering and Democratic party policy support. Why would you be surprised?

My kid's teacher in the DC public school was handing out orange shirts given by (charitably donated and charitably deductible) orange shirts and "march for our lives" material while telling kids they would get credit for attending.

Cavalier Knight

I'M YA HUCKLEBERRY!
    Aug 15, 2010
    New York NY
    Some of these briefs. Dang.

Former NYC police chief argues that it's reasonable to prevent people from possessing (even at home!) let alone carrying weapons for self defense because:

1) NYC is really crowded. Uniquely so. A gun in NYC is much more dangerous than, say, my gun when I get into an elevator at capacity in West Virginia. Because NYC is the center of the universe and everything is always more there.
    2) Even cops have to fire lots of shots to subdue somebody, and normal people will be dangerous if they do that.
    3) Even suicides could get the neighbor shot.
    4) Heller allows regulations on possessing guns in "sensitive places" (such as courtrooms). The ex-PoPo-chief asserts that all of New York City is just such a sensitive place.
    5) ... and more such silliness.

Most importantly: the current draconian laws prevent confrontations on the street. I'm sure he's convinced that criminals also obey the current laws, as they always do. Oh, and this case risks overturning Heller. It's so good of him to look out for Heller for us!
    Did the Amicus brief from former Commissioner of the New York City Police Department William J. Bratton include information as to why "Former Police Officers and Ex-Brooklyn Assistant DA Arrested in NYPD Gun License Bribery Scandal" was not a threat to public safety by "knowingly and willfully" putting 100+ illegally owned firearms in the public? Which also caused Sir Bratton to hastily retire from the NYPD.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/25/nypd-gun-license-bribery-scheme-case/

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The responses will be amusing to read. NYC was clearly indulging in irrational harassment of law-abiding citizens - the equivalent of not only requiring gun owners to ride in the back of the bus, but only to ride even-numbered buses as well. And it's going to cost them.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I am sorry but are you really unaware that the Democrats' position is that Heller is illegitimate decision? A huge number of them don't just say Heller was wrong, but that it was illegitimate.

If a Democrat wins the White House, given Clarence Thomas' issues with obesity there is a better than even chance that a Democrat will be replacing RBG and Thomas. This will result in a total reversal of Heller at the earliest moment. Have you heard any national Democratic candidate say they support Heller?

In Blue states this will result in a massive increase in gun control. People who assert that today's gun control in Maryaland is as bad as it can get, or that Democrats and Republican elected officials or judges appointed by them "are the same" on 2A don't understand fck all about reality or what is coming the moment the Democrats change just one vote on Scotus. The target is Australia style gun control, no semi auto of any kind, no pistol of any kind, and essentially "may issue" -- prove a need -- for even a break action shotgun. There are a dozen classes of gun laws that can be passed on the way to that making gun ownership an expensive and liability filled nightmare

I half wonder if Thomas retires under trump so he is able to be replaced under trump.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Senate Democraps threatened the Supreme Court on this case. Stating to heal themselves or they will be restructured.

To me that says drop this case or else we will stack it once we take the Senate and the White House

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Is there a timeline or deadline on this lawsuit currently? and time-frame for Trump to be able to get a Justice appointed?

It’s distributed for conference on 10/1/19. At some point they need to rule on mootness.

As far as court nominee...... there needs to be a vacancy first. Kavanaugh was officially nominated on 7/9/18 and confirmed on 10/6/18. Gorsuch was nominated 1/31/17 and confirmed 4/7/17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Well, it got some attention.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/se...g-to-supreme-court-heal-or-face-restructuring

Several high-profile Senate Democrats warned the Supreme Court in pointed terms this week that it could face a fundamental restructuring if justices do not take steps to "heal" the court in the near future.

The ominous and unusual warning was delivered as part of a brief filed Monday in a case related to a New York City gun law. Sens. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, Richard Durbin, D-Ill., and Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., referenced rulings by the court's conservative majority in claiming it is suffering from some sort of affliction which must be remedied.

This is the kind of thing that backfires. I wonder if Dems are trying to lose in 2020. People hated Trump, but voted for him based on his pledge to nominate strict constitutionals. Note even Ginsburg suggested court packing. This wont just piss off the court, it will piss off most voters.

ETA: if I were pissed off, i'd be inclined to give these five Senators exactly what they request (dismiss and vacate the decision), then grant all 4 other cases :innocent0

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I feel sure the clerks will go on the side of the Justices they represent. Left leaners with report Look, its moot, corpus whatever, petitioners got what they wanted...
    Right leaning clerks will report the voluntary cessation, they will say there is an obvious post Cert attempt only to change laws, the District and Circuit Courts allowed such a BS law to be sustained which is so obvious.
    At the end of the day I believe the Oct 1 conference will moot this case, however 1 of the Held cases will be picked up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom