• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Got the ARRL manuals for Tech and General, let's see where this goes. Davidsonville is just down the road.

Q

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Got the ARRL manuals for Tech and General, let's see where this goes. Davidsonville is just down the road.
    Q

For anyone looking to take the General test the National Electronics Museum club is giving a course starting Nov 7th that runs for 10 weeks with an exam given at the end. Their website says attendance is free but you supply the manual. Also Exams are given monthly at the Museum, on the 4th Tuesday (except December, when there is no exam date) by the Maryland Mobileers. These exams are also free and offered for Technician, General, and Amateur Extra Classes. So if you live closer to BWI than Davidsonville this could be a good option for you.
    I would like to also suggest if you take the Tech test and pass don't stop just jump right into the General material. It's easier to keep studying than to stop and start again later. I made the mistake of stopping after passing the General exam back in 2007 and still haven't gotten around to taking the Extra

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    For anyone looking to take the General test the National Electronics Museum club is giving a course starting Nov 7th that runs for 10 weeks with an exam given at the end. Their website says attendance is free but you supply the manual. Also Exams are given monthly at the Museum, on the 4th Tuesday (except December, when there is no exam date) by the Maryland Mobileers. These exams are also free and offered for Technician, General, and Amateur Extra Classes. So if you live closer to BWI than Davidsonville this could be a good option for you.
    I would like to also suggest if you take the Tech test and pass don't stop just jump right into the General material. It's easier to keep studying than to stop and start again later. I made the mistake of stopping after passing the General exam back in 2007 and still haven't gotten around to taking the Extra

Anyone putting on an Extra Class any time soon?

Come on Tracker, lets get our Extras!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Anyone putting on an Extra Class any time soon?

Come on Tracker, lets get our Extras!

I’m just wondering what can the Extra do that the general license cannot. I understand the operating band differences but how about from a practical/fun standpoint. Is there some super secret exclusive Extra worldwide net event or something?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I’m just wondering what can the Extra do that the general license cannot. I understand the operating band differences but how about from a practical/fun standpoint. Is there some super secret exclusive Extra worldwide net event or something?

It's the secret hand shake and the cool call signs...

and the challenge, I supose.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County

Good advise. The General test is not that far removed from the Tech test and if you can do it I would say study for both of them at the same time. Lots of information is very similar between the two.

I got the above advise from several others and took it, studying for the Extra shortly after passing the Tech and General and it helped me quite a bit to have that other information still fresh in my mind.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    More frequencies on the HF bands.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Jim in advance of getting my General, I’ve been trying to test out Ham Radio Deluxe and Fldigi to use digital modes. I think I finally have the interface setup. Is this something you have experienced with?

If so Im wondering if there would be a way that I could try and contact you either VHF/UHF or maybe 10m CW band area to see if I can send, receive and decode properly.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011

The NEM has superb classes. For those that may not know, the guy that runs the classes, Rol Anders, K3RA, is the FCC Amateur Question Pool Committee Chairperson. So, basically, he has the insight on every question. Wording, meaning, etc. I took a total of five classes up there, from Tech to Operating and even a Propagation Class. Top notch staff with a nice station. If you show up for the class a half hour in advance he even runs a CW class for all who want it.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    You betcha!

Fldigi is sort of a pain, but functional. My friend Shawn, KB3ZHC, and I experimented with 5watts on 2M using PSK31. Our farthest simplex connection so far is 7.8 miles.

I dont have my HF antenna set up permanently right now but I do for VHF.

Shoot me a PM and we'll set up a time to try it.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Just got my technician license at the CARA show last weekend and have asked the POC at NEM about the General class. Thanks for the info!

No plans for setting up a shack just yet. I've got a lot on my plate but I have a donated Titan DX antenna in the basement that I'm looking forward to poking up over the garage in 2020.

My youngest kid is also interested in getting a license primarily for getting into drone racing.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Just got my technician license at the CARA show last weekend and have asked the POC at NEM about the General class. Thanks for the info!
    Congrats!
    I recommend checking into a local net at least once a week. I made the mistake of not doing much with my tech ticket right off the bat and lost interest. Make a small goal like one contact a week or something easy just to use it.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Access to more HF frequencies. Depending on what you are doing, that can be important. If you are in to working dx, it is important.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    For anyone planning to hit the Linthicum (National Electronics Museum/Nursery Road) exam session this month:

Please note that at the ARRL Exam page and in my posts above, date info was/is incorrect.

The actual exam date this month is one week sooner, Tuesday, October 22nd.

This was just verified with our Team Leader, who also points out that we conduct exams every 4th Tuesday, except December (no exams). Our club calendar does show the correct date: https://sites.google.com/site/marylandmobileers/calendars/calendar

As with the AA club, these exams are FREE, so do it.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Upgrade from General to get your Amateur Extra endorsement?
    Access to more HF frequencies. Depending on what you are doing, that can be important. If you are in to working dx, it is important.
    This^^^^

If no DX, then you can have a fine time with a General ticket. If you are not electronically inclined and/or have difficulty with the exams, the General is a decent place to stop and gives you a huge area to work. Realizing that not everyone is an AE or Advanced, most domestic contesters stay in the General ares of the bands anyway, as to not rule out potential contacts/contest points.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I am a new HAM and considering going to the Hamvention in 2020. Is there enough going on to justify staying for whole 3 days? I wanted to take my plane to the local airport there and camp but I am not seeing a lot of tent camping. Is there any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom