• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Who's training jiu-jitsu and where are you training? I've been listening to the Jocko Willink podcasts and he's finally talked me into getting some training.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    CPMMA is good. My brother and I used them for a while.

http://www.cpmma.net

$50/month gets you as many classes as you want. I focused on Striking and my brother mainly did BJJ. Good people there and the owner, Josh, is a solid dude.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Try it out. Keep an open mind. Try other things too. When you get some free time, explore the history of the arts you're considering. Also consider 'combat' arts.

I personally love jiu jitsu. I like the art part of it. For self defense, it is going to depend on the situation and the attacker. If it's a family member, I want to be gentle. I want to walk away first. If I can't, I'll use jiu jitsu to restrain them and maybe because they went a little too far, I want to provide them with some temporary discomfort and a small degree of embarrassment.

On the other hand (if for some reason I'm taken by surprise by multiple attackers), I'm going to go with a hard style (not a competition martial art like boxing, muay thai, or tae kwon do) and end things quickly, violating all of the competition rules in place.

I think one should practice both hard and soft styles, so that one can have the option of being gentle (wrestling) or decisive (boxing without rules) based upon the unfortunate and unlikely situation that they have to protect themselves.

Distance is the key. Keep your distance (and angle). If you run away, no one loses. If you're surprised and it's very close, any martial art reflex will beat a knife or pistol draw attempt provided that you have a follow up or a withdrawal reflex.

Sign up and have fun with the classes, but always explore and be open to learning more.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Try it out. Keep an open mind. Try other things too. When you get some free time, explore the history of the arts you're considering. Also consider 'combat' arts.

I personally love jiu jitsu. I like the art part of it. For self defense, it is going to depend on the situation and the attacker. If it's a family member, I want to be gentle. I want to walk away first. If I can't, I'll use jiu jitsu to restrain them and maybe because they went a little too far, I want to provide them with some temporary discomfort and a small degree of embarrassment.

On the other hand (if for some reason I'm taken by surprise by multiple attackers), I'm going to go with a hard style (not a competition martial art like boxing, muay thai, or tae kwon do) and end things quickly, violating all of the competition rules in place.

I think one should practice both hard and soft styles, so that one can have the option of being gentle (wrestling) or decisive (boxing without rules) based upon the unfortunate and unlikely situation that they have to protect themselves.

Distance is the key. Keep your distance (and angle). If you run away, no one loses. If you're surprised and it's very close, any martial art reflex will beat a knife or pistol draw attempt provided that you have a follow up or a withdrawal reflex.

Sign up and have fun with the classes, but always explore and be open to learning more.

This is really why I am really attracted to Jiu-Jitsu. I trained Krav Maga for awhile, but it is all or mostly striking based. So with Krav you are either not engaged with anyone or you are punching/kicking them in the groin. There is no middle ground, you're either at 0 or turned up to 11. That might be fine for a SHTF scenario but for everyday self defense that is not practical.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    This is really why I am really attracted to Jiu-Jitsu. I trained Krav Maga for awhile, but it is all or mostly striking based. So with Krav you are either not engaged with anyone or you are punching/kicking them in the groin. There is no middle ground, you're either at 0 or turned up to 11. That might be fine for a SHTF scenario but for everyday self defense that is not practical.
    Huge :thumbsup: It's always better to look at how to end things peacefully. That said, everyone should look at hard styles like Krav Maga and Bando. We all have to be able to flip the switch and end things decisively.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I train at Ivey League MMA, and they cross train with Crazy 88 all the time. Both are fantastic schools, and offer classes in more than just BJJ (although that's my passion).

I wouldn't call BJJ (or grappling) in general a "soft" style. It is however controlled. Almost all fights end up on the ground at some point. There is a reason BJJ was a dominant martial art back in the days when UFC was no rules / any style. That said...always good to know striking skills too.

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    Who's training jiu-jitsu and where are you training? I've been listening to the Jocko Willink podcasts and he's finally talked me into getting some training.

+1 for Jocko Podcast. I love it. Listen to him every week

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I train at Ivey League MMA, and they cross train with Crazy 88 all the time. Both are fantastic schools, and offer classes in more than just BJJ (although that's my passion).

I wouldn't call BJJ (or grappling) in general a "soft" style. It is however controlled. Almost all fights end up on the ground at some point. There is a reason BJJ was a dominant martial art back in the days when UFC was no rules / any style. That said...always good to know striking skills too.

yes, because strikers had essentially no takedown defense back then. Once strikers actually spent a small portion of training on takedown defense, they again became pretty dominant. It's easier to defend a takedown than to actually get one.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Eruby and I approve.

Attachments

• Jew-jitsu.jpg
      Jew-jitsu.jpg
      36.3 KB · Views: 324

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've been watching the Gracie University videos and have been learning a lot except that I have no one to roll with. I may do the online thing for awhile to learn some fundamentals before I try a class.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I've been watching the Gracie University videos and have been learning a lot except that I have no one to roll with. I may do the online thing for awhile to learn some fundamentals before I try a class.
    My two cents as someone with a background in BJJ/MMA/Muay Tha/Judo, for whatever it is worth:

Unless you lack time, qualified instructors in your area (which you do not), or money, this is not a great idea. You are just as likely to develop bad habits as you are good. The best and quickest way to develop good fundamentals is to start training in person under a qualified instructor, non a$$hole classmates, and plenty of alive training. Don't wait until you "learn some fundamentals", "get into better shape", or for anything else outside of an injury or health condition. By all means, schedule gym visits and attend a class or three before you commit to anything. Some gyms are better than others, and you should shop around for a place that fits your personality, style of learning, and goals. But do it in person, not via GU or other online video sources. They can be a good training enhancer, but you will really benefit from in person classes.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I've trained with many of the schools in the area and haven't been to a "bad" one yet. Of course, I know what to look for and that helps. Many of the schools listed here are legit.

I prefer the one-stop shops and they all seem to be moving in that direction as I like striking and ground-work... I used to train at two locations at once (Muay Thai & BJJ) and it sucked. So, beginners might want to make sure they can train in the full spectrum to get a good understanding of fight dynamics. The small schools are more to my liking, but they're typically limited in their schedule. So, I am forced to look at bigger schools to accommodate my family's time requirements. The big schools aren't bad, but I just like training in smaller groups.

Lately, I have been intrigued with adding techniques from Geoff Thompson, Lee Morrison, and Kelly McCann.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Just make sure you get a qualified instructor. BJJ is so new, you can track lineage back to its founders at this point. A good competition record also helps.

So many mcdojos out there, be careful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom