• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I like my XDs 3.3 .45 ACP.

Me too. But if OP is looking for 9mm, I love me my S&W MP Performance Center Shield. It's thinner and lighter than the XDS in 9mm which is actually heavier than the XDS in .45 :D

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I got the XDs, because the Shield has me tip my wrists over more in an awkward way. Same happens to my wrists with Glocks and 1911's.

BUT, I'm going to sell my 4" barreled XDs 9mm and get A CZ Rami :)

Interested in my XDs?

2- 7rd mags
    2- 9rd mags
    3- 8rd mags
    Case
    XDs Gun holster
    2 XDs mag holsters

I'm a CZ fanboy and although I shoot the XDs well at a static range, I don't in IDPA.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I like my XDs 3.3 .45 ACP.

My XDS 45 3.3 is my favorite carry gun. It's deceptively easy to conceal because of it's thinness. It's very accurate and reliable and the narrow but long grip fits my large hands. I have yet to find a .45 round that it doesn't feed reliably. I can shoot it all day long with standard pressure .45. but it's a little uncomfortable to shoot with +P .45. because of the narrow grip. My 10mm's recoil more but they have wider grips.:D

My Glock 30S is another good one. Although larger than the XDS it's slide is thinner than the Glock 30 and it conceals very well IWB.

If you're willing to do some gunsmithing the Kahr CM45/PM45 is a little shorter and lighter than even the XDS 45. It's probably the smallest and lightest .45 produced right now. I prefer the XDS though because of it's reliability right out of the box.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Not sure what you mean by: because the Shield has me tip my wrists over more in an awkward way.

But I'll be looking for that next time I shoot one, thank you.

My XDS 45 3.3 is my favorite carry gun. It's deceptively easy to conceal because of it's thinness. It's very accurate and reliable and the narrow but long grip fits my large hands. I have yet to find a .45 round that it doesn't feed reliably. I can shoot it all day long with standard pressure .45. but it's a little uncomfortable to shoot with +P .45. because of the narrow grip. My 10mm's recoil more but they have wider grips.:D

My Glock 30S is another good one. Although larger than the XDS it's slide is thinner than the Glock 30 and it conceals very well IWB.

If you're willing to do some gunsmithing the Kahr CM45/PM45 is a little shorter and lighter than even the XDS 45. It's probably the smallest and lightest .45 produced right now. I prefer the XDS though because of it's reliability right out of the box.

Very true. Never really thought about a small gun being a good fit for someone with big hands and small hands, and everything in-between.

The XDs in .45 is identical to the XDs in 9mm, so other than the increased recoil, slightly lower capacity, and more expensive cartridges, I'd otherwise give the edge to the .45 ACP. It's cool factor and 'big bore' nostalgia are well worth the premium.

For the record, I own both calibers, shoot both regularly and agree with you. The .45 ACP is reliable as heck, and in standard pressures is no problem to shoot/train with some regularity. (wear gloves shooting over 100 rounds) :D

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Not sure what you mean by: because the Shield has me tip my wrists over more in an awkward way.

Very true. Never really thought about a small gun being a good fit for someone with big hands and small hands, and everything in-between.

The XDs in .45 is identical to the XDs in 9mm, so other than the increased recoil, slightly lower capacity, and more expensive cartridges, I'd otherwise give the edge to the .45 ACP. It's cool factor and 'big bore' nostalgia are well worth the premium.

For the record, I own both calibers, shoot both regularly and agree with you. The .45 ACP is reliable as heck, and in standard pressures is no problem to shoot/train with some regularity. (wear gloves shooting over 100 rounds) :D

When I first shot an XDs, I thought it handle very well for a fairly compact polymer pistol. Not sure what ammo I was shooting since it was provided by a shooting buddy who owned the pistol. After buying mine back in early 2013 and shooting it with both hardcast handloads and Golden Saber I had for my 1911s, I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate it is.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    The XDs is a better made gun and has better fit and finish. Despite having an M&P 9c as my other carry gun, I went with the XDs 3.3 9mm. Upon using it more, I found one annoying flaw. If you shoot thumbs forward like I do (and most do), your thumb rides across the slide release. What happens is that if you are not careful, the slide doesn't lock back on the last shot. I've adapted by having my trigger hand thumb pointed up more. I guess I'll get used to it. Other than that I like it better than the Shield. YMMV

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009

If I draw, bring the gun up on target and aim, I find I'm aiming high and have to "push" the barrel down.

It's my anatomy and it's a real shame, because the Shield is not a big deal, but 1911's just are not easy for me to shoot. Never a problem with any CZ.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If I draw, bring the gun up on target and aim, I find I'm aiming high and have to "push" the barrel down.

It's my anatomy and it's a real shame, because the Shield is not a big deal, but 1911's just are not easy for me to shoot. Never a problem with any CZ.

Thank you sir, I get it now.

Was starting to suspect something like that being the issue.

I find many people like us, have the same issue but with different guns. I think it's mostly just a natural pointing issue, some have slightly more issue pointing some guns. Other guns seem to naturally point better for some, not others.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009

I find many people like us, have the same issue but with different guns. I think it's mostly just a natural pointing issue, some have slightly more issue pointing some guns. Other guns seem to naturally point better for some, not others.

Hickok has a video on that. A guns pointing and accuracy is not necessarily the gun, but the user.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Someone else pointed out the Sig P320 compact. I take the FCU from the fullsize frame and slide drop, then that FCU gets dropped into the sub-compact frame and install the compact slide and barrel. It usually take less than a minute.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    The Sig p320sc is larger than the Shield or XDs. I have both a 320sc and 320 c, G42 and Shield. I find I can conceal all well when wearing a jacket (suit or sports coat). But, when all I have is an untucked shirt the p320 becomes hard to conceal. From a pure comfort perspective the g42/g43 is much easier to carry. The shield is too big for me to pocket carry comfortably. I am 6'1" and 240lbs.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Check out the Ruger LC9s. I absolutely LOVE mine! But whatever you decide, rent a variety first to see what you shoot naturally. I'm so glad I did when I was looking for 9mm compact and was seriously looking at the Shield. I really liked the Shield a LOT. But couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. Checked out the LC9s and everything just was perfect. You may find just the opposite but better to know by trying before shelling out the bucks to find out it isn't the right fit. Just my $.02.

btw... it isn't a Ruger vs S&W thing for me. I have a M&P9 (full size) and it works better for me than the SR9 I used to have.

For me, the USP series is like pointing my finger. This is also why I'm not a Glock fanboy- they don't point even close for me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Strange that you have the same problem with both Glocks and 1911s. As they have different grip angles.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I don't find much issue, but it's interesting, and a lot of people talk about this 'grip angle'. Some love the 1911 grip angle, others the Glock, or whatever.

At typical defensive shooting distances, I don't think it matters much.

This is a good discussion:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.18.56 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 5.18.56 PM.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl