• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We need pics of the used brass(and steel).

I can get some of the brass later today or tomorrow. I didn’t collect any of the steel. Taking another look at the feed ramps, they aren’t polished to a mirror finish, but they seem fine. The receiver ramps are a few thousands higher than the ramps on the barrel extension (which it should be as far as I know).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The pictures are each cartridge rotated one third turn.

First picture the scratch near the base I can barely feel with my finger tip. Second picture near the throat I can just feel the two scratches with my finger nail. No other scratches that I can feel with a finger nail anywhere.

Not visible in the pictures is a very slight dent from the brass deflector. Barely noticeable. Less then my AR-15 .223 16” carbine length gas upper, about the same as my .223 20” rifle length gas upper.

Attachments

• F4F88DA9-6B07-4BEC-867B-24D6EB8D44C3.jpg
      F4F88DA9-6B07-4BEC-867B-24D6EB8D44C3.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 498
    • 3477F417-3FE8-4DA7-9ADF-570291716C10.jpg
      3477F417-3FE8-4DA7-9ADF-570291716C10.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 494
    • FF595E37-14EA-414A-8959-98024C4904E2.jpg
      FF595E37-14EA-414A-8959-98024C4904E2.jpg
      42.4 KB · Views: 494

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it helps I can chamber a round and extract it to see if it marks the bullet, but I don’t recall seeing any markings when I did that at the range.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Scratches, from the barrel extension scraping the case body as it strips a round from the mag and chambers it. Should be able to remedy that with some slight polishing/contouring of the ramps/extension.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As for the ramps/extension transition - an ideal configuration is one where they are blended smoothly - if you take a ball-point pen and run it up/down the ramps/extension and it hangs up anywhere, there ya go.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I can get some of the brass later today or tomorrow. I didn’t collect any of the steel. Taking another look at the feed ramps, they aren’t polished to a mirror finish, but they seem fine. The receiver ramps are a few thousands higher than the ramps on the barrel extension (which it should be as far as I know).
    If you want, bring the rifle with you when you come out. I can check the ramps for alignment and finish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Quick question about free float hand guard barrel nuts.

Are they all pretty much the same size or is each one proprietary? If I want to change a hand guard from a Midwest Industries to a Hera, do I also need to change the barrel nut?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I got some tungsten weights to convert some of my standard buffers to H2s. I imagine this is a dumb question but I have never done this before. Usually just buy new buffers but I have too many buffers laying around. Thought I would give it a try.

Does it matter what order you stack the weights? I am making H2 buffers so one steel and two tungsten. Do the two tungsten have to be together on the back end to help the dead blow effect as the bolt closes or something?

Attachments

• xdxmdh.jpg
      xdxmdh.jpg
      46.6 KB · Views: 730

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    My first AR15 build. I’m putting together my parts list and would like your input.

Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Lower
    Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Upper
    WMD NiB-X Bolt Cartier Group
    Bear Creek Arsenal 16” .223 Wilde Heavy Contour 1:8 Bear Claw Spiral Fluted Black Nitride
    ALG Defense 12” M-Lok Rail
    Geissele G2S Two Stage (SSA-E if the budget allows)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My first AR15 build. I’m putting together my parts list and would like your input.

Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Lower
    Aero Precision M4E1 Stripped Upper
    WMD NiB-X Bolt Cartier Group
    Bear Creek Arsenal 16” .223 Wilde Heavy Contour 1:8 Bear Claw Spiral Fluted Black Nitride
    ALG Defense 12” M-Lok Rail
    Geissele G2S Two Stage (SSA-E if the budget allows)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks

If you usse BCA you should have headspace checked. I see them often for short Headspace issues.

I would avoid the NiB BCG. I see lots of problems with the coating. Phoapate and chrome lined is better. Toolcraft Phosphate BCG can be acquired for $80 and rarely fail my Gauging.

Otherwise a good list.

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    If you usse BCA you should have headspace checked. I see them often for short Headspace issues.

I would avoid the NiB BCG. I see lots of problems with the coating. Phoapate and chrome lined is better. Toolcraft Phosphate BCG can be acquired for $80 and rarely fail my Gauging.

Otherwise a good list.

Thanks for your input. I found the Toolcraft BCG Phosphate at a few places.
    I struggled with the barrel choice. Criteria are:
    16” midlength
    Heavy
    Lightweight
    .223 Wylde (preferred)
    1:8 or 9 (preferred)

I went with fluted to save weight. I have nerve damage in my left arm, the lighter the better. Any recommendations? Thanks

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    16” midlength
    Heavy
    Lightweight
    .223 Wylde (preferred)

I went with fluted to save weight. I have nerve damage in my left arm, the lighter the better. Any recommendations? Thanks

You could always build a pistol with a SBA3 Brace and a 10.5" barrel to cut weight down.

Otherwise I like Criterion barrels. Here is a HBAR middy.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/criterion-barrels-ar-15-hbar-mid-length-gas-system-barrel.html

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    16” midlength
    Heavy
    Lightweight
    .223 Wylde (preferred)

If you want some help assembling it, let me know, due to being local to you and having the tools.

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    If you want some help assembling it, let me know, due to being local to you and having the tools.

Thank you for the offer. I will, gladly, welcome any assistance. Particularly with the barrel and gas block. The build is probably 4 to 6 weeks out, based on some of the vendors shipping estimate.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thank you for the offer. I will, gladly, welcome any assistance. Particularly with the barrel and gas block. The build is probably 4 to 6 weeks out, based on some of the vendors shipping estimate.

Whenever it all gets in, send me a PM and we'll figure out a day to put it together.

Algot

Feb 13, 2017
    Frederick
    Waiting on one part to show up. Last minute, I decided to order the Larue Tactical MBT-2S, instead of the Geissele G2S. It’s on back order.
    Larue is expecting to fill the back orders in about 7 to 10 more days.
    I opened all the parts and hand fit.
    a10c76a8b0f5a4ecb8c8d84dfae610a0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom