• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    The light gray Parkerizing isn't very attractive. The finish looks thin.

The Parkerizing that produces the gray-green color would look much better.

Y'all post up some pics when you get them.

Will be interesting to see if they're all light gray.

I'm still going to throw my name in but given there's 8000 pistols and they're estimating upwards of 100,000 orders expected, I don't think I'm going to get too worked up. I've set the money aside but I'm already thinking of what else I could spend it on. Winchester Garand maybe?

And yeah, that parkerizing is seriously ugly. Kind of like the real light finish I've seen on some of the old Polytech M14s. Not to mention how soft and blasted out the markings appear to be. The pictures look to be pretty much what I considered worst case for them.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I’d love one. Some day. I’d love more than one someday.

But I get it. A lot fewer GI 1911s made and in inventory than there was Garands I’d carbines. No idea how many the US Gov’t kept, but what I can find it looks like somewhere around 2 million made between 1911 and the end of WWII when production stopped.

I assume we also turned some of those over foreign countries.

Honestly one thing that annoys me is CMPs limits on Garand purchases. Not that there are limits, but that they are so damn high. How is 6 Garands a year making a collection? I am sure there ARE a handful of people who are true collectors who are amassing them. I also would bet a lot of money most people who are hitting 6 a year are doing it year after year and selling a lot of them at a markup.

I feel like they should limit it to 3 in a year and not more than 6 in 3 years.

It would be nice to allow real collectors and people interested in them to be able to buy them, rather than just those looking to turn a profit who will snap up the supply in a few years.

The number changes. Once upon a time it was one in a lifetime, later it was 12 a year, now it is 8 per year. I agree with you that the number is probably to high and tempts some people to ignore the spirit and purpose for which the DCM and later CMP were were founded. However talk about cutting the number on the CMP Forum will bring howls of dissent from those who buy not only the maximum number of guns but also trailer loads of low priced surplus ammunition at a time.:sad20:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm torn on the 1911s. The photos shown are decent for a GI gun. The price? We'll see. They are definitely too high for a shooter, but for a collector? Quite possibly not overpriced at all.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm torn on the 1911s. The photos shown are decent for a GI gun. The price? We'll see. They are definitely too high for a shooter, but for a collector? Quite possibly not overpriced at all.

Anything truly collector worthy will be sent off to auction. These pistols, regardless of condition, will all be mixmaster shooters.

Jul 1, 2012
    ^^^ what he said.

Not that there's anything wrong with a mixmaster shooter, but if I'm gonna buy one I want to see what it is first, and not have to do the contortions and agonizing over the "pick me, pick me!".

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    That's sort of my thing. I'd love one of these as a shooter, ugly, mismatched, etc, I don't really care. However, I don't want to pay a collector premium for an ugly shooter. Basically I'm being cheap.

What I am genuinely curious about is magazines though, wonder if some of these crates are full of GI mags? The dumped a supply on the market last year I think, would love to pick some up.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    You're going to be sorely disappointed in this hobby if you count your pennies. Like most things in life, to properly enjoy yourself cost takes a backseat to desire, within reason of course.

Orlando

So who’s busy filling out paperwork and jumping through the various hoops to send off their packet tomorrow?

No one better be sending their packet in yet or its going in the shredder. Any orders received before September 4th are rejected
    CMP has received over 100 orders already which will be thrown out
    I cant understand why people cant follow simple directions yet they will be the first ones to bitch and moan when they don't make the cut

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    No one better be sending their packet in yet or its going in the shredder. Any orders POSTMARKED before September 4th are rejected
    CMP has received over 100 orders already which will be thrown out
    I cant understand why people cant follow simple directions yet they will be the first ones to bitch and moan when they don't make the cut

FIFY

Those people are to stupid to own a gun and anyone who sends it in early should be put on a list to never get one.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I am torn as well. I said last year that I would absolutely be in on this and take a chance as everything I have received from CMP has been above my expectations. I would really like to find one and have not been looking but interested for a long time.

Question that I did not see an answer too. I understand that my FFL-03 will not work for a direct sale here. Providing I choose an FFL in the area to accept the pistol, will I still need to obtain my HQL to take this home? I have been anti HQL since the beginning but lately have been debating.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I am torn as well. I said last year that I would absolutely be in on this and take a chance as everything I have received from CMP has been above my expectations. I would really like to find one and have not been looking but interested for a long time.

Question that I did not see an answer too. I understand that my FFL-03 will not work for a direct sale here. Providing I choose an FFL in the area to accept the pistol, will I still need to obtain my HQL to take this home? I have been anti HQL since the beginning but lately have been debating.

No. The CMP’s decision to ignore an 03FFL has nothing to do with whether the pistol is C or R and has no impact on MD law. The no-HQL rule is a Maryland thing.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    No. The CMP’s decision to ignore an 03FFL has nothing to do with whether the pistol is C or R and has no impact on MD law. The no-HQL rule is a Maryland thing.

Right, I am following the decision to not sell as a C&R firearm. I just have never bought a pistol in MD since a HQL has been required. I was not sure if the MD FFL would require that or if is exempt under these circumstances.

I have gotten in the habit of having C&R handguns shipped directly to me:party29:

Jul 1, 2012
    Because these CMP 1911's are qualified as C&R, you would not need an HQL to purchase in MD.
    There's a box to check on the e77R stating it's exempt due to being C&R.

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    Has anyone in the Frederick area already had their local dealer send a copy of their FFL to the CMP? Either a copy of your dealer's FFL has to be submitted with your 1911 packet or the dealer can email/fax a copy of the FFL to the CMP provided it has your name written on it. From reading the posts on the CMP forum it's seems like some dealers are reluctant to do that.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Has anyone in the Frederick area already had their local dealer send a copy of their FFL to the CMP? Either a copy of your dealer's FFL has to be submitted with your 1911 packet or the dealer can email/fax a copy of the FFL to the CMP provided it has your name written on it. From reading the posts on the CMP forum it's seems like some dealers are reluctant to do that.

Why would anyone do this in light of the fact that you can’t even submit orders until September?

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    Judging by what I see price wise, I'll pass. As a vet who was issued a 1911A1, I would like to have picked one up from CMP but, I will not lose any sleep over it.
    On the plus side, the 1911's I have are in pristine condition so, I'll be smiling all the way to the bank, if I ever decide to part with any of them.

I'm a vet that wasn't issued a 1911, but I did qualify with them. The "range gun" that I was issued was a complete rattletrap and I would have been more accurate just throwing the rounds downrange by hand. Luckily for me, one of the officers in my company brought his Mark IV Gold Cup to qualify with and he let me use his weapon to qualify. When I became an officer, I was supposed to qual with the M9, and IT was junk, too. When I queried the rangemaster about officers being allowed to fire their own weapons, he simply told me that, if it is in the military inventory, then yes. A friend of mine was issued a Sig 226, so I brought my 226 to the range and enjoyed the free ammo. :cool:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    As previously posted, one can always use an out of state FFL to do the transfer. Then the CMP ships to them and they do an FFL to FFL transfer to you using your FFL-03 license. All perfectly legal AND this is the intent of the C&R FFL license.

The state of MD does not have to be involved in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom