• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yesterday I went to Cabela's to pickup some magazines I had to order for in-store pickup due to their capacity. I also needed more FDE PMAG's which are not available on Cabela's website, they had one in the store. While walking from the Magpul aisle I decided to look at the racks in front of the Gun Library to see if they had anything interesting. The last time I was in there they had an ATI GSG STG44 .22 that I'm kind of kicking myself for not buying.

They had a rack of M91/30 Mosin Nagant's ranging from a Pre-WW2 1938 model up to one or two 1943 or 1944 models. I've been wanting a Mosin Nagant for a while but never picked one up. I started looking online Monday to see what they were going for and who actually has any available. Probably not hard to see what happened next.

I did not like the 1938's laminate stock so I bought home what I personally think is a very nice Tula 1939 M91/30. They had two 1939's and the one I didn't buy may have had a little less wear on it but the bolt and receiver had two large spots of damage.

Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy inexpensive ammo? The only thing I saw in Cabela's was Hornady Custom for $1.10/rd. Brownells sells Wolf for $.60/rd but of course they are out of stock. I'm hoping for something in the $.60 to $.80 range but am willing to pay more if I need to. Also if it can be bought in bulk quantities that would be preferable. I don't see myself shooting this too often but I would like to have a decent quantity on hand in the event I do want to shoot it because I doubt I will be able to find anything locally.

Attachments

• IMG_1836 2.jpg
      IMG_1836 2.jpg
      42.6 KB · Views: 220
    • IMG_1837.jpg
      IMG_1837.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 231
    • IMG_1838.jpg
      IMG_1838.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 221
    • IMG_1839.jpg
      IMG_1839.jpg
      96.1 KB · Views: 216
    • IMG_1843.jpg
      IMG_1843.jpg
      119.7 KB · Views: 220
    • IMG_1846.jpg
      IMG_1846.jpg
      146.3 KB · Views: 218
    • IMG_1847.jpg
      IMG_1847.jpg
      96.9 KB · Views: 245
    • IMG_1830.JPG
      IMG_1830.JPG
      40.8 KB · Views: 223
    Holy crap have the prices gone up. I bought my 1943 there 2 years ago for $129...I know the surplus ammo has become harder to find and much more expensive. I bought 2 2 can crates for $69 per when I bought the rifle from an online source. Apparently if you can find it now the price is double that for a single can...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Holy crap have the prices gone up. I bought my 1943 there 2 years ago for $129...I know the surplus ammo has become harder to find and much more expensive. I bought 2 2 can crates for $69 per when I bought the rifle from an online source. Apparently if you can find it now the price is double that for a single can...

Yeah 140 is a steal for a single can now. More like 170.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Corrosive ammo is still the cheapest way to go if you're willing to clean promptly and correctly.

I need to look into how to clean it but I don't imagine I would have any problem taking the time to clean it after I shoot it.

Yeah the guy helping me said he remembered when they were that cheap and that his brother bought one for $250 a few years ago and that was a good price at the time. The 1943/44 models they had were going for $329.99.

Yeah 140 is a steal for a single can now. More like 170.

I got 1740 rounds of bulgarian surplus loaded in 1974 for $138. It's steel core and corrosive of course but it works. I don't shoot it much because after a few mags it starts to hurt just a bit...Cabelas had about 100 of them in the rack and all of them were what you would expect surplus battle rifles to be like...except the one I bought..It was damn near cherry...And I found out why (I think) when I got it home...the extractor was snapped off...$6 for a new one and it was back in action..Beautiful, accurate rifle..and the best part is when you run out of ammo, it makes a great war club..

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I got 1740 rounds of bulgarian surplus loaded in 1974 for $138. It's steel core and corrosive of course but it works. I don't shoot it much because after a few mags it starts to hurt just a bit...Cabelas had about 100 of them in the rack and all of them were what you would expect surplus battle rifles to be like...except the one I bought..It was damn near cherry...And I found out why (I think) when I got it home...the extractor was snapped off...$6 for a new one and it was back in action..Beautiful, accurate rifle..and the best part is when you run out of ammo, it makes a great war club..

Give you $150 right now

Sirex