• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/12/04/dno-firearms-dx-7/

Well this looks really interesting. I get it isn't really an AK as such, but this sure looks like it would be MD legal. At least for the folks who are going plastic fantastic magpul (and similar) furniture AKs anyway, this seems good. Now if someone were wanting a traditional wood or baiklite furniture AK...not a chance.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Interesting, but I prefer my Arsenal 106FR. 5.56 in a reliable AK platform. Shoots steel cased ammo like nobody's business. Without knowing the price of this AK-DX7, I like the Arsenal rifle.

But if this rifle sells for about $600-$700, it will be a good buy. Waiting to hear more about this new design. It has promise.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Time will test it. I was interested in the M&M MX10 or whatever it was called. Looked promising, and still may be, but they did have some trouble, and the short warranty didn't inspire confidence.

jjsat

Apr 14, 2014
    Montgomery Co., MD
    Interesting, but I prefer my Arsenal 106FR. 5.56 in a reliable AK platform. Shoots steel cased ammo like nobody's business. Without knowing the price of this AK-DX7, I like the Arsenal rifle.

But if this rifle sells for about $600-$700, it will be a good buy. Waiting to hear more about this new design. It has promise.

I'm with you all the way :party29:

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys

"We are currently in preproduction it’s going to be right around the thousand dollar*range"

Still quite pricey IMO but cheaper than the Arsenals.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Interesting idea, but count me out at $1K.

If it makes it into full production, we'll see how it fares after a few years on the market.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Saw this earlier..
    I’d def be interested especially if available in 5.56 too, if they are saying $1,000 as in MSRP which should translate to $800ish I’m all for it since I was going to buy a Arsenal and then throw magpul furniture on and have to get a red dot mount for the SLR-106 anyhow (plus it just looks strange mounted soo far forward).. All the in stock Arsenal’s I’ve seen have hovered around $1,000 for a bone stock rifle

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Pencil me in for a maybe. Only because it's different, not because it's better.

The one major improvement is the top receiver which resolves the issue of mounting a scope or a rear peep to anything other than a dogleg rail or the clunky side scope mount.

If the barrel isn't attached via pins and rivets that is a huge plus--one of the AKs weak points has been how these variable stresses make it an unpredictable shooter.

One of the AKs plusses (and minuses) are the monolithic heavy bolt carrier/gas piston assembly. Switching the bolt handle is great for ergos but doesn't improve on the physics of that reciprocating mass. Why not go with a short stroke piston and a modified bolt carrier?

Really though I'm left with "why". I celebrate the "because" and would love to shoot one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Pencil me in for a maybe. Only because it's different, not because it's better.

The one major improvement is the top receiver which resolves the issue of mounting a scope or a rear peep to anything other than a dogleg rail or the clunky side scope mount.

If the barrel isn't attached via pins and rivets that is a huge plus--one of the AKs weak points has been how these variable stresses make it an unpredictable shooter.

One of the AKs plusses (and minuses) are the monolithic heavy bolt carrier/gas piston assembly. Switching the bolt handle is great for ergos but doesn't improve on the physics of that reciprocating mass. Why not go with a short stroke piston and a modified bolt carrier?

Really though I'm left with "why". I celebrate the "because" and would love to shoot one.

The barrel does not seem to be pressed/pinned in. Seems like maybe as easy (easier?) to replace than an AR barrel. Part of my interest in it. They mention making 7.62x39, 5.45 and 5.56 barrels initially. If it is around $1000 and street price is $800-900 and barrels are $150-200 that could be really sweet.

Not that I have a spare grand plus, but if it is MD legal (should be) and I could pick one up with a 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 barrel for a little over $1000, I feel like that would scratch all AK itches for me. Other than owning a REAL vintage 1950s/early 60s AK, I’d just like an AK like rifle at some point (chambered in 7.62x38 for preference so I could hunt deer with it at some point, but 5.45 would be fine as a pure range toy).

A vz2008 is probably still my best, eventual, bet. But this has certainly caught my eye.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I would have been interested if they had left the charging handle on the right side, or made a provision for switching. Does not appear to be the case. Being wrong handed is a pain sometimes.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    A vz2008 is probably still my best, eventual, bet. But this has certainly caught my eye.

Have you had a chance to shoot a VZ? I'd go with that option first, they aren't nearly as cheap as they were but it FEELS like an AK even if its not.

Definitely a solid option if you are looking for a Soviet-bloc era rifle with history and some unique internals. Like an AK and a SKS had an illegitimate striker-fired baby.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Have you had a chance to shoot a VZ? I'd go with that option first, they aren't nearly as cheap as they were but it FEELS like an AK even if its not.

Definitely a solid option if you are looking for a Soviet-bloc era rifle with history and some unique internals. Like an AK and a SKS had an illegitimate striker-fired baby.
    If you see VZ mags for sale do a lifetime buy... Also, the rifle mechanism is pretty cool and ergonomics on it are surprisingly good, even by modern standards.

Only obnoxious thing with the VZ (for me at least) is dealing with the aftermarket rails - I don't like side scope mounts and run a red dot on the handguard top rail. However, to clean the operating rod the handguard top has to be removed, ergo rifle really ought to be re-zeroed after every cleaning.

OTOH given the ammo and effective range this experiences with a red dot and no magnification it may not matter all that much, for 300yd or less certainly.

This is the fundamental reason why short stroke piston designs really ought to have a split upper/lower, allowing op rod removal from the inside. Long stroke Kalashnikov action has the awesome rigid bolt/op rod linkage allowing for op rod removal from the inside. Hence the design in the OP is solving a problem that isn't really there - an optic with an infinitive field of view can go on top of the handguard and never leave again. There's no practical need to have a scope on top of the receiver in an M43 Kalashnikov system, and there are vastly better options for other calibers.

People keep effing with the Kalashnikov system even after so many years, I don't get it. Then again, ppl can get what they want so I don't have to get it.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    If you see VZ mags for sale do a lifetime buy... Also, the rifle mechanism is pretty cool and ergonomics on it are surprisingly good, even by modern standards.

Only obnoxious thing with the VZ (for me at least) is dealing with the aftermarket rails - I don't like side scope mounts and run a red dot on the handguard top rail. However, to clean the operating rod the handguard top has to be removed, ergo rifle really ought to be re-zeroed after every cleaning.

OTOH given the ammo and effective range this experiences with a red dot and no magnification it may not matter all that much, for 300yd or less certainly.

This is the fundamental reason why short stroke piston designs really ought to have a split upper/lower, allowing op rod removal from the inside. Long stroke Kalashnikov action has the awesome rigid bolt/op rod linkage allowing for op rod removal from the inside. Hence the design in the OP is solving a problem that isn't really there - an optic with an infinitive field of view can go on top of the handguard and never leave again. There's no practical need to have a scope on top of the receiver in an M43 Kalashnikov system, and there are vastly better options for other calibers.

People keep effing with the Kalashnikov system even after so many years, I don't get it. Then again, ppl can get what they want so I don't have to get it.

Totally agree about scope options. I have 3 VZ-58/2008s. That's my only issue with the platform.

However, I have had no problem finding VZ mags. I have over 20 and six of them are cut down 10 rounders.

My VZs and SKS couldn't scratch my AK itch and I just ordered a E545 from Engage Armament. In my opinion, their builds are more solid than most of the Arsenals. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=215015

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Totally agree about scope options. I have 3 VZ-58/2008s. That's my only issue with the platform.

However, I have had no problem finding VZ mags. I have over 20 and six of them are cut down 10 rounders.

My VZs and SKS couldn't scratch my AK itch and I just ordered a E545 from Engage Armament. In my opinion, their builds are more solid than most of the Arsenals. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=215015
    I'm really struggling with the concept of owning a non-soviet or non-chinese AK, but will hopefully get over that.

I like having a bolt action and semi-auto caliber option, and keep both 223 and M43 in each, down to my 223s sharing the same mags... Is there a bolt action 5.45mm option? And is there 5.45 ammo at anything close to M43 prices?

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I'm really struggling with the concept of owning a non-soviet or non-chinese AK, but will hopefully get over that.

I like having a bolt action and semi-auto caliber option, and keep both 223 and M43 in each, down to my 223s sharing the same mags... Is there a bolt action 5.45mm option? And is there 5.45 ammo at anything close to M43 prices?

Engage's builds are based on Bulgarian parts kits just like the Arsenals. I'd prefer an AK-47, but I'm not interested in dishing out cash for a trust for my wife and I and then paying Uncle Sam for a SBR, so I'm settling for a well-built custom AK-74.

Typical prices I see for 5.45 are between .23 and .25 cpr. I don't know of a 5.45 bolt action, but I've never looked.

I saw my options as get what I can get or move out of Maryland. :)

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Looks like it could have been designed by ToS mirror-universe Eugene Andreyevich Stonerov.

Attachments

• stoner_eugene_evil.jpg
      stoner_eugene_evil.jpg
      74.7 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads