What is the status of Senate Bill 1062, the >10 mag ban?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Been very busy and lost track of where we are with Senate Bill 1062, the ban on >10 round magazines that would make simple possession after Oct 2018 a misdemeanor.

I tried googling it but never found a definitive update.

Thanks in advance.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    Withdrawn for now. Shouldn't be too long before it is drawn back up attached to something new.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I'm sure those who were there saw this, but the sponsor and the cohorts kept saying 10 rounds or more will be banned. Not 11 rounds or more. I've never seen 9 round replacement magazines for AR platforms advertised.

Corrected

gbalog

Apr 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks, Trepang, for asking this. As I understand ...the House bill was withdrawn, but SB 1062 (which says the same thing about possession of 10+ magazines) was still out there. Can't the senate bill still be advanced on it's own? If so...we're not out of the woods on this thing yet.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Thanks, Trepang, for asking this. As I understand ...the House bill was withdrawn, but SB 1062 (which says the same thing about possession of 10+ magazines) was still out there. Can't the senate bill still be advanced on it's own? If so...we're not out of the woods on this thing yet.

Yes, the Senate Bill is still in play. I always tell people - it ain't over until the gavels hit the desks (Speaker's & President's Rostrums) at 00:00:00 10APR2018. The shenanigans that can and will happen on Sine Die (09APR2018, this year) are usually entertaining and infuriating at the same time and likely to be fireworks-worthy this year.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yes, the Senate Bill is still in play. I always tell people - it ain't over until the gavels hit the desks (Speaker's & President's Rostrums) at 00:00:00 10APR2018. The shenanigans that can and will happen on Sine Die (09APR2018, this year) are usually entertaining and infuriating at the same time and likely to be fireworks-worthy this year.

What do you think are the odds of it passing are?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    This is true. Until sine die anything can happen. But it is unlikely to advance, but still could in theory if they really wanted to. (Edit - maybe I should take Mike's lead and not give odds?)

The clock is running, and any air time they want to give to something like this will take air time away from something else, that's why it is not too likely it will move.

It's an interesting situation because the Senate bill has not crossed over, we are beyond crossover day. But there was an identical house bill that did get heard, but then withdrawn. Can it be un-withdrawn? I say no and therefore it's dead but what do I know.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    maybe I'm wrong but...The companion bill got an unfavorable in the house. So they would need to introduce a whole new bill in the House which at this point would require rules suspensions. Or the Senate bill would need to get passed, cross over, and get a committee meeting, then get passed in the House. Pretty sure we passed crossover day so again it would require suspending the rules.

Sponsors said that they'd amend this bill during Senate testimony, said they meant it to only apply to repeat offenders. They withdrew this bill in the House during testimony and kept saying this was meant to apply to repeat offenders.

In short, seems pretty dead. Much deader than - cough - some other bills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom