Wear gloves while using petroleum products.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wearing gloves while cleaning guns or using petroleum products.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Wear gloves while using petroleum products.

This past Saturday, a highly respected, senior member of one of my gun clubs gave us this message.

He recently survived his bout with cancer.

He's an expert in many things, including guns; mostly a long gun guy.

It was an honor to have him back at one of our events after months of treatment and recovery.

Among his many words of wisdom were, always wear gloves when you clean your guns.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    He patently said that petroleum based chemicals were the cause of his cancer.

Apparently he had been working (unprotected) with them for years.

Very sad, but he underwent treatment, (actually resigning as a club officer at that time), but now says he's in full remission.

Our friend was back to himself, full strength, he even sold a few of us some of us ammo reserve/misc-extras. We were honored to have him back. He drove several hours to join us.

Wonderful man, in every regard.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I am skeptical of one thing though.

I don't think it can really be proven that the cancer was caused by that.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I don't wear gloves most of the time but I am careful to try and keep my hands clear of the bulk of the chemicals. I wash them promptly when done, too.

People don't understand the potential for unrealized dangers of modern chemistry. We won't know about some things until the people who came in to contact with them get older and start to get sick. For example its a poor idea to let your hands get bathed in motor oil when changing it. Gasoline is another one, lot of different chemicals in gasoline. It can't possibly be any good for you.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I shudder to think how many times I used gas to wash car grease, oil & brake dust off my hands or to kill poison ivy rash as a teenager...just like I saw my pops do when learning how to rebuild cars and motors. Between that, the talc in my shoes and grilled red meat, I'm prolly a goner myself!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I am skeptical of one thing though.

I don't think it can really be proven that the cancer was caused by that.

Agreed.

But he was convinced, and said so unambiguously.

He related that it was a known, but largely covered up hazard.

I'm thinking about the beginning of time when people started to realize that smoking was actually harmful.

I don't wear gloves most of the time but I am careful to try and keep my hands clear of the bulk of the chemicals. I wash them promptly when done, too.

People don't understand the potential for unrealized dangers of modern chemistry. We won't know about some things until the people who came in to contact with them get older and start to get sick. For example its a poor idea to let your hands get bathed in motor oil when changing it. Gasoline is another one, lot of different chemicals in gasoline. It can't possibly be any good for you.

When I attended the USSS FITC (long ago), they were in my opinion hyper vigilant about all things safety. This was the first time in my career that I ever wore DOUBLE hearing protection (actually understood why), and we washed our hands after every shooting exercise or event. But no mention of wearing gloves while cleaning firearms.

I often wear normal gloves while shooting, and wash my hands after shooting or before eating; but never really thought to wear gloves if I were cleaning or lubing a firearm.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I respect his cause, but I would want proof of some type. Shooting a firearm and working at a range can be hazardous of one is not careful.

My understanding is that unfouled petroleum products are rather harmless. When you have burnt fuel deposits, carbon, metals, and lead fouling suspended in the process that it becomes a risk.

Use some hippy bio based lube and don't wear gloves and the risk of being exposed to carcinogens is no different.

One should use gloves when cleaning, regardless of the cleaner or lubricant used.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I remember heavy gun lube for the Bradley bushmaster had warnings on them, which were frankly ignored because C'mon, everything causes cancer, twice as fast in California. Try not to eat the stuff or wear it everyday and you should be A-OK.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I try to use gloves whenever I work on my cars, but I still end up with oil and grease all over my hands and arms. I've gone through quite a bit of Goop in my lifetime.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I've been using gloves when cleaning firearms for a few years now, if only to keep off the residual smell of whatever I'm using at the time. The potential health benefit is nice, as well.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    i am not sure petroleum products cause cancer in everyone. i work mostly in automotive shops where petroleum products are everywhere. i am sure they are not good for our health. but imo not everyone who comes into contact with them will get cancer. there are probably other variables like family history and the type of chemical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom