• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    So while wasting time at work, I ran into this website called Rocket Hub. Apparently this is a place you can use to try and take your buisness to the next level. I know... why is this thread in The Depot... well they have buisnesses that are providing 80% receivers at what looks to be awesome prices. Here is one place I found most interesting.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/24384-80-lower-receiver-ar15-ar10-rudius-1911

Discuss...

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Did you buy a jig set?

And does our new law affect the sale of AR10 stripped lowers or just the AR15s?

I have always wanted to build an AR10 but need to focus the money on things which will be restricted in OCT.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    My concern would be to send this guy money and then never see it again. Is there any confirmation that he's actually started shipping 80% receivers. Legally, he's touting this as an 'Investment' not a purchase. If you invest, all of your money is at risk, should the venture fall through. $30 for an AR-15 and a free jig set. It sounds 'too good to be true' and we all know what that means. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    This is were I see a problem. Unless the 2nd cnc machine has a 60" or larger X axis travel. they will not have the room for the vises needed to do all 8 operations. and even if they did they would only be able to make 1 model at a time ( another words only ar 15 lowers, but couldn't do the 1911 or ar10s at the same time). Also a machine with that type of travel would not fit in a small shop. As far as making a profit ? there isn't much if any fudge room in a billet 80% lower. Also if they only have the 2 machines what will they use to produce the jigs ??

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I didn't see the pricing till now. Id stay far far away from this !!! the cost of the peice of the alluminum allone is about $30.00 a blank at 6061. so your telling me there going to spend thousands on tooling and fixtures and run time and only charge you $5.00 to make it ??? sounds like a scam !

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    I didn't buy into it. I did read some people were asking for some ATF letter and others were asking for more pictures of his prototype stuff. One even said a picture was of someone else's receivers.

How I got to this site was for another builder doing the same. Just thought I would link this guys stuff.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Aluminum is roughly $2/# in quantity. We buy a lot of it here at work for products. I don't have a receiver here in front of me but iirc its about a 1x6x8 envelope. Thats 4.7# of bar stock = $10. Pretty slim margin there for a LOT of machining. If from a 7075 forging, those runs close to $20 in quantity (unless you're Colt and have HUGE quantities.) I still have a hard time believing you would want to do the machining ops on those for just $5. ($100 for four 80% lowers = $25ea)

Sounds like a scam.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    There was another that was charging $65 per receiver, would that be more along the lines of what to expect?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Does rocket hub allow for recourse if failire to provide services? Some type of insurance?

At $55 for an AR10 and jig.... It is a gamble.

Question still remains, are AR10 lowers to be banned?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Does rocket hub allow for recourse if failire to provide services? Some type of insurance?

At $55 for an AR10 and jig.... It is a gamble.

Question still remains, are AR10 lowers to be banned?

Really why would that be in question?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Perhaps by setting it so low, say break even, they bank on the orders to be voluminous. That money going beyond 100% is profit... they are already at 120+% when I clicked the link earlier. There is a lot of time to still fulfill their crowdfunding....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom