• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Anyone have one?

I'm thinking about buying one for Texas summer carry. I've never had a small .380, and I'm curious about how snappy the LCP is in firing. Say compared with a J frame .38 revolver?

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    Just bought one a few weeks back, despite what the reviews said I didn’t think it was nearly as snappy as people made it out to be. Pretty darn accurate even at 15 yards for such a small pistol

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    My LCP has milder recoil then my J frames. It's certainly easier to carry in the pocket. However it occasionally fails to eject and I trust the snuby more.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    Are you specifically asking about the older model and not the new LCP II? I have the LCP II and initially had issues with it... it would drop the magazine (especially if it was full + round in chamber) after the first shot. Sent it back to Ruger... First time they fixed it and the problem came back. Second time they changed out the barrel and some other major parts. Currently it functions well, but I don't have enough rounds through it to be able to judge reliability (the most important thing in a CCW).

As far as accuracy, trigger, and snappyness... I find it fairly accurate at up to 10 yards, even further out. The trigger is actually fairly decent and the snappyness is not all that bad. If it works well, I think it's one of the best sized/weighted pocket pistols. Also, as far as .380 ammo... there are a few decent hollow point options... I believe Hornady is one of the better ones.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have a couple of LCP's, both gen 1. I got a Pachmayr grip sleeves on them that makes them easier and more comfortable to hold and shoot. Hogue makes something that slips on the grip as well.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've had a first-gen for years. Very easy to CC. Like it's not there. Consider it a belly gun for SD. On the range, it's so small it's tough to get a good grip and square up like a normal-sized handgun. In a high-stress situation, not going to happen.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    A dot of hi-vis nail polish on the front sight will help a lot with target acquisition. It is very light and for across the room distances, it is OK. I switched to a S&W Bodyguard, a bit better option for me and I like the integrated laser and safety.

Jimdick2949

Aug 19, 2014
    Frostburg, Maryland
    Have the Ruger LCP II and love it. Tried rapid fire with Liberty CD ammo and never once jammed or miss fired. Smooth easy trigger pull not like the original LCP. Have it equipped with a Crimson Trace green laser and really the piece overall. Carry it in a pocket holster from PocketHolster.com. Originally purchased holster for LCP and when I added laser just cut small notch in holster and worked just fine with laser. Holster will fit in rear pocket of jeans and looks like a wallet. Pistol fits well in holster and looks like a wallet. Have to wipe down every day or so due to body moisture.

Beach Runner

Mar 20, 2018
    I have the first generation LCP and the recoil is snappy but less than .38 Special in a S&W Model 40. It is not a gun I would like to run 10 mags through in a row but it is very manageable for a couple of mags at a time and even 50-100 rounds spread out over a range day. My brother has the Hogue grip sleeve on his and it helps with the recoil but I prefer the grip feel without the sleeve. The thin slide and frame, with a pocket holster to break up the outline, make the LCP great for pocket carry.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a keltec .380 which is similar and it definitely isn't something you would want to shoot a lot in one day. I put 50 rounds through it in 30 minutes, and I was toughing it out just to get practice time in. It's not bad but after a few mags it stings.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Very happy LCP-2 owner, here. Have put almost 400 rounds through it so far, no troubles regardless of what I feed it. While it is, as it must be in such a lightweight little piece, a short and sharp recoil, it's very manageable. Hasn't bothered me a bit. It's a very appealing pocket gun. Only thing I didn't like was the black integral sights ... so, used a toothpick to carefully dab some white epoxy paint in place, and let it cure for a few days. Great little gun. I have no trouble keeping it in the dinner plate at the sort of distances it's meant to serve.

Attachments

• lcp2.jpg
      lcp2.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 378
    Last edited:

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I have the LCP II and it is a big improvement over the original. Better trigger, better sights, better grip and the slide locks on an empty mag. Plus it eats anything I feed it. I have tried 6 different types/brands of ammo and it shoots them all. Never had a failure of any kind. Ruger listened and got it right with the LCP II.

Maxx

Apr 4, 2009
    Both my wife and I have matching LCP Gen 1 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and just love them for what they are intended for.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Often times my most carried carry gun, I first had a KelTec P3AT which ran flawlessly, and the wife liberated from me (she still has and carries), then a first generation one, with the longer trigger pull and the smaller sights, then my current LCP Custom, which is from the improved LCP (2nd gen?) period, but also sports a custom red anodized aluminum trigger and improved sights. Do not confuse what I am calling the second generation LCP with the LCP II, which is a striker fired 380.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Anyone have one?

I'm thinking about buying one for Texas summer carry. I've never had a small .380, and I'm curious about how snappy the LCP is in firing. Say compared with a J frame .38 revolver?

Not that snappy in my opinion, I’m 6’7” and have huge hands. I use +1 mag extensions on all my mags which also helps with the grip, and it wears Lasergrips which work great. I use the Recluse pocket holster (mine doesn’t have spare mag but same otherwise) when I can carry, have had it for 10 years with no issue.

https://recluseholster.com/ruger-lcp-i-recluse-os-plus

Attachments

• CC2B9732-0381-4D47-94FE-E2B68685D728.jpg
      CC2B9732-0381-4D47-94FE-E2B68685D728.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 298

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I have the KT P38T which is essentially the gun that Ruger copied to get the LCP.

It is incredibly small and thin. You will forget you are carrying it, like literally.

Fun to shoot at the range? Nope. But mine is nice and broken in and reliable and it's a great carry gun when you want something small and light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom