• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Very good and you got your feet in the picture also as per MDS standards. Just remember when you shoot it it kicks a lot harder than it's little brother.

So no putting the buttstock on my jewels and touching off a round to show the boys how gentle she kicks?

It’s been a couple of years, but I’ve run a few clips through my neighbor’s Garand. Which is what hooked me on them.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The M1 Garand is about the most satisfying rifle to shoot. If you can shoot it well so much the better. It may be obsolete in terms of current military tactics but that takes nothing away from it in terms of what it can do and has done in defending our country.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    So it finally showed. Almost exactly 2 months to the day I put my application in the mail. Serial number low 5.6 million Garand. Harrington and Richardson Arms Company, early 1955 manufacture. Barrel is Springfield Armory 4/55 dated. I’ll post a few detail pictures later when I have the time. It does not look like the bolt SN matches to the receiver. So a total mixer, but a fine condition one!

2ME, 3+TE. Gas cylinder has most of the park worn off, but the barrel is pretty good and the rest of the parts show strong parkerization. No corrosion anywhere I can see. New walnut CMP stock and butt plate. Slightly disappointed in that, but it also makes me feel better that I may tru oil it and then buff it to a matte finish instead of BLO for better moisture/weather sealing.

My Carbine is all parts matching (except the sight) including original early WWII stock.

The bayonet I picked up I think is almost the same as the rifle, early 1950s, but Greek! They might have been living in armories just a few miles apart (I am assuming the Garand was a Turk return).

At least externally it looks fairly dry. I see a spot or two of what might be cosmoline on the rifle. Sometime in the next few nights I’ll get it out of the stock to go over it, grease and oil it as well as get some detail pictures.

I am in love!

PS did CMP change the cases they are using recently? Beast of a case and FDE.

Nice rifle! Glad you got the CMP walnut and it probably is a mixer but the number you see on the bolt is not a serial number! It is a drawing/lot number and still could be correct for your rifle. Here’s a link to check what should have come on your rifle from the factory. http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsList.aspx
    Just pick your manufacturer and put your serial number in and it will give you a list of all the components.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice rifle! Glad you got the CMP walnut and it probably is a mixer but the number you see on the bolt is not a serial number! It is a drawing/lot number and still could be correct for your rifle. Here’s a link to check what should have come on your rifle from the factory. http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsList.aspx
    Just pick your manufacturer and put your serial number in and it will give you a list of all the components.

Thanks!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The CMP done you good, lazarus. :thumbsup: The one you received is a beauty. You'll love shooting the rifle. And your M1 carbine makes a perfect pair. You gotta have both! The CMP was well worth waiting for, right? :D

4570inMD and I are scheduled to attend a CMP "AMC" class in Anniston AL in late August. There we'll both be building Garand's we will bring home with us (as if we didn't both already have nice examples...). That seemed like a long time away in January, but it's getting closer every day...

;)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looks really good. If you never get a second Garand, at least you have one good one.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully it’ll be when CMP still has some and hopefully they also won’t be astronomical in prices. I am sure some other countries still have some USA Gov’t property in their arsenals they’ll turn back over again some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom