• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I want to get an AK47. But I haven’t seen a legal way in Maryland. So the next best thing is AR in 7.62. Would it still need to be an HBAR?

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    KS47 or CMMG Mutant are two other options that combine the 7.62x39 Cartridge with AK mags in an AR platform.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    I want to get an AK47. But I haven’t seen a legal way in Maryland. So the next best thing is AR in 7.62. Would it still need to be an HBAR?

I agree with the other post, SBR or pistol. Other options are, The M10 x rifle. It takes AK mags. Or, get an AK74 in 5.45x39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City

Vepr 7.62x39 is another option, if you want a literal AK, but you have to keep it sporterized. Otherwise, just go the pistol+brace--->SBR route.

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    The 300 Blackout is a close cartridge to a 7.62x39.

As a handloader, I prefer the 300 Blackout. The 7.62x39 brass cases are expensive compared to the free 5.56 cases I pick up at the range. They are easily converted to 300 Blackout.

The cheap steel cased 7.62x39 is a draw to the cartridge in the AR-15. PSA makes an AR-15 that takes AK-47 magazines. I would probably go that way for one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Remember the run on them a few years ago? Hogsniper had a few with the full kits.

Still on my list. Still wish I had owned guns back before 2013. I probably wouldn't have been smart enough to have bought all the things and mortgaged a kidney or something to accomplish it.

Not sure if I'll try to track down a 52/2008 eventually or an SBR AK-47.

In some ways having gotten an SKS* was a mistake for me. It lit a burning desire for an AK. Not sure if a 52/2008 would satisfy the desire. Probably? I really love Czs in a funny, yet sad fanboy type way. But a REAL AK would be nice

*Maybe not entirely, I really like the Norinco SKS I have and it shoots decent with most ammo, except Tula it doesn't really like. For some reason Wolf Military Classic is the bees knees in it. I can average 2" or smaller groups at 100 and at 50yds I've shot several sub MOA 5 shot groups. Like all holes touching. And even my typical group usually isn't worse than 1" at 50yds. Have never seen the like (with open sights, old semi-auto). One of these days I need to get the last couple of parts and get my other Norinco SKS assembled and running.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have a AR in 7.62 X39, and am in the process of building another. It is a fun gun to shoot and has a bigger thump than the 5.56.
    The ammo is much cheaper to shoot than .300BO and is much more accurate that my SKS's.
    I have had no problems with ASC mags, but I have heard that C-Products are better.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I have a AR in 7.62 X39, and am in the process of building another. It is a fun gun to shoot and has a bigger thump than the 5.56.
    The ammo is much cheaper to shoot than .300BO and is much more accurate that my SKS's.
    I have had no problems with ASC mags, but I have heard that C-Products are better.

I'm with this guy, I really like my AR in 7.62x39. I bought it as a fun gun with the intent of running cheap, steel case ammo, which makes it cheaper to shoot than my 5.56's.

I did have to do some filling in the feed ramps (manufacturing quality issue) but worse were the mags. They required sanding and polishing and I also had to modify the followers. I don't remember what brand they are but I'm sure the mags were the cheapest I could find.

I believe the "AR47" is notorious for feed issues (which I believe is primarily caused by the mags) but once you get them cycling properly, they are a lot of fun and cheap to shoot.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    In some ways having gotten an SKS* was a mistake for me. It lit a burning desire for an AK. Not sure if a 52/2008 would satisfy the desire. Probably? I really love Czs in a funny, yet sad fanboy type way. But a REAL AK would be nice

The VZ is a fanboy knock-off of the AK in the same way that a Valmet, Galil, or the Sig 550 family are AK "wannabes". They also look pretty sharp and eastern bloc-ish with the beaver barf furniture.

I'd snag one, but the prices are honestly a little insane right now for what they actually are, especially given the rarity of mags, optics, etc, and if I was going to spend that sort of coin on an x39 gun, I'd just buy an x39 Vepr or Saiga and keep it in the MD-legal sporterized configuration.

But you could always run an SBR'd SAM-7 instead...

As for steel cased ammo in AR's, I don't know what the hesitation is. Unless you're doing precision shooting or it's your highly-tuned race gun, there's no reason not to run dirt cheap steel-cased Russian ammo through your ARs and AR-10s, so long as you have a decent bolt/extractor and a well-made barrel with decent chamber tolerances. Any gun is ultimately a tool, and ARs and AKs doubly-so, and as such they're far tougher and more resilient than most people give them credit for being. YMMV, of course, but my friends and I have put literally tens of thousands of steel-cased rounds downrange with our (decently Gucci) ARs and minimal cleaning, with more or less flawless reliability thus far.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The VZ is a fanboy knock-off of the AK in the same way that a Valmet, Galil, or the Sig 550 family are AK "wannabes". They also look pretty sharp and eastern bloc-ish with the beaver barf furniture.

The VZ is not a knock off of the AK, in any way, other that they both use the same cartridge. the VZ is closer to the SKS than the AK, as it uses a falling block locking action.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City

The VZ is not a knock off of the AK, in any way, other that they both use the same cartridge. the VZ is closer to the SKS than the AK, as it uses a falling block locking action.

Hey hey hey, at least the Czechs made it LOOK like an AK to keep the local political officer off their backs while they gave the proverbial finger to the USSR.

But yeah, that's what I meant. I looks like an AK and aped the form factor, but that's about it, and it's otherwise a thoroughly superior and far better constructed weapon than any AK descendant NOT from Finland, Israel, or Switzerland.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I purchased a Bear Creek Arsenal AR 7.62 x 39 HBAR for the purpose of keeping my ammo simple. I have 2 SKS and the ammo is inexpensive to shoot. All shoot accurate enough at 100 yards for my purposes. Just put a Sig red-dot on the AR. Ready to take it to the range and try it out.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I purchased a Bear Creek Arsenal AR 7.62 x 39 HBAR for the purpose of keeping my ammo simple. I have 2 SKS and the ammo is inexpensive to shoot. All shoot accurate enough at 100 yards for my purposes. Just put a Sig red-dot on the AR. Ready to take it to the range and try it out.

Good luck and enjoy.

Noroar1

Jul 20, 2013
    That CMMG mutant did pretty good on the IV8888's meltdown, went for 1200+ rd before the gas tube blew up, seems like a good option

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom