• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Mounted my Nikon M308 scope with a single piece mount to my new Ar10. The first trip to the range, altitude was near dead nuts on. However, it was shooting far to the left: like 8 inches at 25 yards. Is this usual? should I be reassessing the process of mounting the scope to the picatinny rail? I don't want to take up all available windage adjustment just to get it to zero.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You have a few options....if you can dial the 8" to bring it back right and still have a few MOA to move to the right you'd be ok.

2nd option is to lap the rings, there is a chance that the rings aren't aligned correctly.

I don't think its that unusual personally, I've seen worse.

VeryTraumatic

Dec 24, 2014
    Mounted my Nikon M308 scope with a single piece mount to my new Ar10. The first trip to the range, altitude was near dead nuts on. However, it was shooting far to the left: like 8 inches at 25 yards. Is this usual? should I be reassessing the process of mounting the scope to the picatinny rail? I don't want to take up all available windage adjustment just to get it to zero.
    It's actually quite fortunate you got on paper the first few rounds. 8" is fine; I've had to hold off the target frame sometimes with scopes mechanically at 50% adjustment from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just double check that everything is right (scope not twisted/canted/crosshairs vert and horiz, mounted squarely and securely to the rail, etc). how much room do you have to dial right and left after you've zeroed at 100? maybe take a pic or two from each side so we can see if any obvious issues. could be as simple as the scope wasn't set to zero when you got it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    8 inches at 25 yards is 32 MOA. The max internal adjustment is 40 MOA. That is at the edge of acceptable*. You can still be on paper at 100 yds, but I would definitely re-assess the mount to make sure its square.

*If "like 8 inches" means 10 inches, you wont be able to zero it.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Be sure the reticle is properly centered in it's range of travel. Check the mount for any obvious alignment or fitment issues. Remove the BCG and boresight to insure that the bore and scope reticle align to the same point. If they are not reasonably close, you probably have other issues to examine. It may be possible that the receiver face needs to be trued or that the mount is not machined correctly. Be sure to check the mount for burrs left over from the machining process. Worst case, contact a smith, like Clandestine.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Be sure the reticle is properly centered in it's range of travel.

This. In fact, when mounting any new scope for the first time, you should do this, because you don't know how it was adjusted before you got it. Crank the windage all the way over to one side. Then crank it all the way to the other side, while counting clicks. Then crank it half that number of clicks back in the original direction. Do the same thing with elevation. After that, you can be sure that the scope is set to reasonably near the center of its range of adjustment.

After that, you can check all of the other stuff.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Because I fret over details, I also contacted the manufacturer. They told me the scope has 80 clicks of adjustment in all 4 directions. I never thought to verify it shipped in the middle of the range. I have a bore sight on order and will start with that. Get it to zero in the basement, set that to zero on the turrets and then count to the stop. If it's 45 or more, I'm good. If its less, i'll reset the turrets to center both directions, then shim the rings to approximate zero and start again.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    don't need a bore sight. just pull the upper off the lower and pull the bolt and handle out. set it on something sturdy or sandbags etc, on your kitchen table or picnic table or somewhere where you can look out 50-100 yds. look thru the barrel and find a 'target' out there (soda can, top of fencepost, knot in a tree) and center that in your barrel. then just turn your scope knobs until they're on the 'target.'

i wouldn't zero your knobs at that point, just counts clicks left and right and up and down, and if you have plenty of room on each side, you should be GTG. then hit the range, fine tune your zero and then zero the knobs.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    again, maybe attach a few pics there. if there is something wrong with your setup, sure someone here will see that and let you know...

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Sometimes the barrel extension isn’t square to the upper receiver and the barrel will sit a little cockeyed.

This throws off iron sights, and is probably what is throwing off your scope.

Bottom line, it might not be a problem with the scope but the upper.

Brownells makes a lapping tool the will square it, or it’s an easy job for a gunsmith.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    again, maybe attach a few pics there. if there is something wrong with your setup, sure someone here will see that and let you know...

I'll take a few pictures of the scope mounted on the rifle. Any specific detail shots recommended in addition to the overall left/right/top/bottom?

I found that my elevation setting is within a few clicks of the stop, so I know I have some work to do. I assume I *could* shim the front or rear between the scope and the mount, but I'm not sure how I would shim to adjust windage. I counted at least 150 clicks of windage in one direction before I gave up and returned to zero.

As a reminder, I am using a Nikon M308 One piece scope mount. I *assume* the front and rear rings would be lapped in the factory far more precisely than I could accomplish using hand tools and a vice.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the shimming method to correct a poorly aligned scope. I think you'd be better served by figuring out what the underlying cause is and fixing that.

My bet is the following in order:
    - out of square upper to barrel extension causing the barrel to be off center to the upper / bolt face. Fixing this BTW should make things a touch more accurate too
    - scope base is jacked up, replace if needed
    - rings are jacked up, if so they can be lapped to fix that problem.
    - scope is jacked up, replace if needed

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    This your nikon mount? Specifically, the TWO separate rail clamps. That one is *TOTAL SHIT*. I had the 223 version. It will not auto center and you can easily tighten it down w/ the center part not parallel to the pictinny rail. Prove it to yourself: Loosen the clamps, twist it w/ the scope grossly to one side (windage), and re tighten. It will still visibly retain a lot of the offset. You could probably get it close enough centered to work, but I always worried about it holding zero. If you do have that kind of mount, my suggestion is to throw it in a deep lake and get a different mount. One that has one side of the rail integrally machined w/ the upright part. Nikon makes some mounts made correctly, but they still sell that crap 2-pc clamp type in both 223 and 308 variants:(

Attachments

• opplanet-nikon-m-308-1pc-mount-w-built-in-20-moa-slope-black-832-ni-mt-832-main.jpg
      opplanet-nikon-m-308-1pc-mount-w-built-in-20-moa-slope-black-832-ni-mt-832-main.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 219

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    That's the mount, with the 2 piece clamp. I will try returning the reticle to the midpoint both directions and then try messing with the 3 screws to see if I can get it closer. Assuming I am forced to replace the mount, Is there a better one piece mount for 308?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Leupold and Warne both make good 1pc mounts. I have 1 pc Warne on some rifles, never had a problem. Warne XSKEL1 gen 2 (1 in) and XSKEL30 Gen2 (30mm) both come in colors too. Send it in style.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This your nikon mount? Specifically, the TWO separate rail clamps. That one is *TOTAL SHIT*. I had the 223 version. It will not auto center and you can easily tighten it down w/ the center part not parallel to the pictinny rail. Prove it to yourself: Loosen the clamps, twist it w/ the scope grossly to one side (windage), and re tighten. It will still visibly retain a lot of the offset. You could probably get it close enough centered to work, but I always worried about it holding zero. If you do have that kind of mount, my suggestion is to throw it in a deep lake and get a different mount. One that has one side of the rail integrally machined w/ the upright part. Nikon makes some mounts made correctly, but they still sell that crap 2-pc clamp type in both 223 and 308 variants:(

A bad idea borrowed from Millet. Stupidest design ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom