• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Pretty sure that there is no requirement for FCC Part 97 acceptance or certification of VHF/UHF transmitters in the Amateur Service.

The UV-5X Can be used to receive FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies without issue. Transmitting is not allowed without the proper certification/acceptance.
    Correct, there are technical standards which they may or may not meet (I've measured some) but there is no such thing as Part 97 type acceptance.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Correct, there are technical standards which they may or may not meet (I've measured some) but there is no such thing as Part 97 type acceptance.

The part 97 type acceptance standards are for amplifiers for use on the ham bands.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I learned something new on my ICOM ID-5100 today.

I figured out how to do the crossband repeater function. So I can set my HT to a 70cm simplex frequency then in my car set it to the 2M W3MUM repeater. Then when I key up on my HT it goes to the car which sends it back out to 2M to the big repeater on the hill.

The ID-5100 has up to 50 watts on both UHF and VHF.

Today I was able to test this also with a buddy who was 24mi away on 2M simplex.

My goal is to be able to walk around the park or go hiking with my HT and x-band to a repeater outside the range of the HT.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

I figured out how to do the crossband repeater function. So I can set my HT to a 70cm simplex frequency then in my car set it to the 2M W3MUM repeater. Then when I key up on my HT it goes to the car which sends it back out to 2M to the big repeater on the hill.

Today I was able to test this also with a buddy who was 24mi away on 2M simplex.

My goal is to be able to walk around the park or go hiking with my HT and x-band to a repeater outside the range of the HT.
    Now you've made me curious...gonna have to look that up for my ID-51/ID-5100 radios...

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    That cross band repeat is also very useful for an ad-hoc repeater - in the event that things really, really do hit the fan. (No, not condoning setting up a repeater in absence of coordination in a normal world).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem comes with trying to cross band repeat into a repeater, at least in the past.

Say you are on 440 with your dual band mobile rig crossbanding to a 2 meter repeater. You key on 440, your mobile rig is listening on 440, transmitting on 2m. No problem.

You release your mic key, and now your dual band is listening on 2m and transmitting on 440. The problem is, it will not switch out of listening on 2m until the transmissions stop. So if there are a number of people talking, the repeater never stops transmitting and you cannot talk to the repeater.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    The problem comes with trying to cross band repeat into a repeater, at least in the past.

Say you are on 440 with your dual band mobile rig crossbanding to a 2 meter repeater. You key on 440, your mobile rig is listening on 440, transmitting on 2m. No problem.

You release your mic key, and now your dual band is listening on 2m and transmitting on 440. The problem is, it will not switch out of listening on 2m until the transmissions stop. So if there are a number of people talking, the repeater never stops transmitting and you cannot talk to the repeater.

Yea that’s why I rarely had my setup close the loop back to my HT. I would depend on my HT being able to rcv directly from the repeater. That also takes care of the relay radio not being able to ID on the 440 link to HT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

In the old days the cops had a similar system in their car, called a pack-rat (Motorola PAC-RT).

Did exactly the same thing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    In the old days the cops had a similar system in their car, called a pack-rat (Motorola PAC-RT).

Did exactly the same thing.

They still have them except they are called SVPs these days.

Not quite the same thing since it is basically two radios, low power to/from the handheld, hardwired to the 110 watt radio in the vehicle.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

Yeah, you can't let your crossbander hear the repeater.... also raises ID issues if the repeater signal is (re)generated at your site not using your call.

I use an HT and my crossband repeater is an FT-8900 in the truck. I use tones on the truck input so no one else can key my truck unit.

I TX with CTCSS from the HT on 440 to the truck.
    Truck TXs on 2m to the repeater with their tone, if required.
    Truck RX frequency for 2m side is set out of band, so even though the dual band has to be active, it will never hear or repeat the repeater.
    The repeater does its thing and I can monitor the repeater directly on the HT.

I can hear the repeater from much further away than I can quiet it with the HT, so this usually works.

This lets me roam within HT TX range of the truck and within HT listening range of the repeater.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA

I'm not understanding what you mean by this.

Yesterday I set it up again with my HT on 440 and the ID-5100 A band on 440 and B side set to W3MUM repeater. We walked around the park about 1/2 mile away through trees and I was able to get the W3MUM repeater loud and clear. I heard other hams talking through the repeater and it was coming out my HT as we walked around the park. I was able to activate the repeater from my HT.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not understanding what you mean by this.

Yesterday I set it up again with my HT on 440 and the ID-5100 A band on 440 and B side set to W3MUM repeater. We walked around the park about 1/2 mile away through trees and I was able to get the W3MUM repeater loud and clear. I heard other hams talking through the repeater and it was coming out my HT as we walked around the park. I was able to activate the repeater from my HT.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Maybe your radio is different.

But most, if the repeater is transmitting, it will not "hear" you on 440 to activate the repeater.

If the repeater is not too busy, it will be OK. But the repeater normally holds the transmitter up for a few seconds after the person talking unkeys. And if someone keys up, during the "hold up" time, the repeater stays up.

In the old days, the CARA repeater, during drive time, would not drop for hours.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I feel that I have reached "pass" on the Technician material, so I've moved on to study for the General.

I'm currently on Part 5 (of 9) of this series. The presenter (not the YouTuber picutred) gives a good practical presentation of the material, at least from my point of view. I also have the ARRL General study manual.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    What digital voice modes do you have/operate on, and what reflectors/talkgroups do you use most often?

I have a D74, so DStar via rf. But I also have a hotspot and can cross-mode to dmr & fusion.

I've done a look of lurking on various reflectors and talk groups, but they are all pretty quiet.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What digital voice modes do you have/operate on, and what reflectors/talkgroups do you use most often?

I have a D74, so DStar via rf. But I also have a hotspot and can cross-mode to dmr & fusion.

I've done a look of lurking on various reflectors and talk groups, but they are all pretty quiet.

P25 (phase 1, and phase 2), DMR (MotoTRBO), DTsar (1.2 GHz data).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom