• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a tree that I want to put 2 person stand in. Any suggestions? Do they have stands that can span across the 2 like this?
    87ed91437df3f5cdfdb20ab6b2fa6682.jpg

8f9ad486a0db06da9913e644187736dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I like ladder stands because my climbing days are coming to an end. I climbed utility poles for 25 years and before that did manual tree removal and would climb anything. With that out of the way I like to use the manufactured ladder stands nowadays because they are comfortable and I don't care all that much how many deer I kill anymore but I still like to go. You can get a nice two man ladder that will fall right into one of those leaders no problem. Some of the stands I hunt are only 10-12 foot tall which allows me to see better through the marsh areas that I hunt but some are also significantly taller with the addition of extra ladder sections.
    Last year I bought a Remington two man stand that came with a portable roof and zippered blind that I didn't use but is really nice. It was aluminum, required a little assembly and the only problem with it was that the rail was a little short for getting a solid rest because of my height. I got it from dicks on sale for about 140 bucks and apart from the assembly was more than pleased. I would set one of them to one of the leaders on that walnut tree and use the other for a bit of cover. I just brush them in and use blind wrap where necessary. Being comfortable and safe while being able to sit it out for awhile is what I do know. This one had a full platform which is good for young ones or somebody with a disability, could be enclosed if I wanted it to be but I got it up late and came with quality binders and pads for the seat, back rest, rail. It was about 14 feet to to the platform as well.
    I still use a lone wolf climber when I get all hard core but for the most part I could sit in that tree right there all day and even take a nap with the right rigging going on.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have a tree that I want to put 2 person stand in. Any suggestions? Do they have stands that can span across the 2 like this?
    87ed91437df3f5cdfdb20ab6b2fa6682.jpg

8f9ad486a0db06da9913e644187736dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubt you could hang a double person ladder to span across both of those trunks. All the ones I've seen has a sort of arch or recessed profile in the rear so that it nestles around the tree, then the ratchet straps cinch it down tight. Even if you could rig it somehow to get the platform section ratcheted down around the two different sides, I think you'll have a problem with the fact that each of those trunks will move independently of each other & would work loose any fastening system you might come up with. At a minimum you'll be creaking, cracking, & popping most of the time - at worse it will torque you right outta the tree. I'd hang 2 individual hang-on stands, one on each trunk if your goal is two actual seats. If you're just looking for an extra wide seat for one (I do this too as I prefer not being too confined), I'd select one trunk or the other. Good luck.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Melnic, you'll need to choose one trunk for your double stand. you can add a couple ratchet straps to the other trunk if part of the stand is in contact with it, but something to consider...when the wind blows, the two trunks will put a lot of force on your stand and try and tear it in half.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Exactly what Outrider recommended. Plus the other trunk will allow u to hang gear in easy reach. Nothing sucks worse than having to reach above you. If your gonna leave the stand up year round be sure to loosen strap at end of season. Double trunk trees are the perfect set up to brush in. Good luck.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I would be leery about putting a stand on that tree, the crack between the two trunks looks like it could easily split off, especially the trunk on the left.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would be leery about putting a stand on that tree, the crack between the two trunks looks like it could easily split off, especially the trunk on the left.

You read my mind...

I'd look again a that tree. It's been there a long time. It's only a $100 tree stand. My only hope is that there is a forest behind the shot and that that the tree isn't standing in the middle of a field.

Sumac ?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Tree is down at the end of a hill. Facing a creek and a few more trees where I will put my corn feeder. Already lots of deer activity around it. I'm sort of limited on where I want to hunt and proximity to neighbors.
    My other alternative is to put a ground blind in but I don't really like that idea for how it will look.
    Below is a pic zoomed in from the house. you can see the tree on the right.

The other alternative is to pick one of the trees along the creek and face the hill. I just don't like the idea of facing the nearest neighbor

5df56c681acd0b52de0e956f5461afd1.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Tree is down at the end of a hill. Facing a creek and a few more trees where I will put my corn feeder. Already lots of deer activity around it. I'm sort of limited on where I want to hunt and proximity to neighbors.
    My other alternative is to put a ground blind in but I don't really like that idea for how it will look.
    Below is a pic zoomed in from the house. you can see the tree on the right.

The other alternative is to pick one of the trees along the creek and face the hill. I just don't like the idea of facing the nearest neighbor

5df56c681acd0b52de0e956f5461afd1.jpg

Before the sun rises, Your scent will be driven down into that bottom. Once the sun rises, the thermals will draw your scent up hill. That's on a calm morning. Afternoons will be the opposite. Hunting at the bottoms of hills like this can be...complicated.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I'd look again a that tree. It's been there a long time. It's only a $100 tree stand. My only hope is that there is a forest behind the shot and that that the tree isn't standing in the middle of a field.

Sumac ?

IF I was going to put a tree stand there, I'd wrap a piece of chain around both halves of the tree & at least 7 feet above my stand...

Obviously I'd put a bolt thru the ends of the chain...

It does look like Sumac leaves...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    IF I was going to put a tree stand there, I'd wrap a piece of chain around both halves of the tree & at least 7 feet above my stand...

Obviously I'd put a bolt thru the ends of the chain...

It does look like Sumac leaves...

A more permanent remedy would be to go a lot higher and 'cable' the two leaders. That's how it's done.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Dont even use a stand, just stack some straw bales up around it and sit in there like a king. Stake some tree limbs in the bales and pull one apart a little at a time after its been wet to hide your scent. Thats what I'm going to do when I take Charles here. If you are hunting with a firearm, bust them before they hit your scent trail after taking safety considerations into account. Put your stand in that bottom in case you want to bowhunt or take some pictures maybe. dales woods.JPG

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yeah! just don't fall through the side with your arm straight out or you'll suffocate. I'm seeing blinds on one or two bucks of scaffolding but that's a whole lot better I think. Looks pretty decent I think though. There's all kinds of pitfalls when going aloft, you just have to remember where your at.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Honestly, I dont like the treestand in that spot. Too open.

I am not as concerned about scent as outrider - in HoCo the deer are pretty used to humans. Plus if you are putting a feeder out, you can also put out some cover scent and then use the cover scent when you hunt. They will be used to the scent.

I like the hay bales idea. Short of that, there is a tree 2nd from the left post #11 in the shadow of a much two larger trees. Right on the creek. That is where I would be, with my crossbow. Deer rarely travel too far on me, I've hunted in some tight spaces too. I bet I'd kill a lot of deer there. Let me know when I can come over. ;)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Doc, has it figured out. One of my favorite things are hay bales. Spot I used last year.
    Nice ground there, that looks like it might be near the Luthy's on the 69 line between Aries and Golden Hill substations. Egypt or Maple Dam rd thereabouts I bet. I know a little about tree-stands and a lot about climbing those poles and moving the wire on those Mother^%$s. Dont shoot the glass on them :)

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Nice ground there, that looks like it might be near the Luthy's on the 69 line between Aries and Golden Hill substations. Egypt or Maple Dam rd thereabouts I bet. I know a little about tree-stands and a lot about climbing those poles and moving the wire on those Mother^%$s. Dont shoot the glass on them :)

Good call, maple dam rd. ( thereabouts )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom