• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just got volunteered to clean the M1 garands at our American Legion post. I was wondering if theres any good tips from MDS Members on cleaning.

I have PDF's of 2 M1 manuals. PM your E-mail address to me and I'll send them to you.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    M1 Garand

Send a PM to Good Guy 176

Lew has probably forgotten more about Garands than most people ever knew. He has a pretty extensive collection and I believe he's been selling a few here and there.

Thanks Ray! Yes I am actively selling most of my inventory due to a life threatening disease that I've been dealing with for the past 3 years...it's a slow mover similar to cancer and there is no cure. I take a powerful med to
    slow its spread in my lungs. We think my IPF is related to exposure to Agent Orange in the 60s in Vietnam where I flew intel gathering missions for the Army and NSA.

I know the Garand fairly well, and can teach any newbie what to watch for while looking them over. Value is very much set by subjective things such as dates, stampings, marks, whether the rifle is WW2 or Korean vintage, etc. "Paperwork" can also influence price rather nicely, too.

I will be adding listings on GunBroker shortly, but any one interested in what I have available now can email me at: goodguy176@gmail.com and I will then provide my cell # so we can speed up any further conversations.

My remaining rifles are not cheap...start around $1250 for a Service grade
    quality rifle that will be 90% or better period correct, with emphasis on a correct barrel and correct stock influencing price the most.

And, for those considering owning just one Garand in their lifetime, buy one
    that exceeds your budget and get one that is in line with the current market. Buy one that will retain its value, and perhaps grow gradually in worth. The Garand is a very worthwhile investment.

I have owned over 130 of them, after starting out in 2002 to own only one
    of each of the four manufacturers weapons...kinda got the bug and went a bit overboard. I also love to shoot the rifle, and I won or placed well in matches with it as far back as 1960.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Retired--'1984)
    Korea, Vietnam, Vietnam again, West Germany

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Not trying to be rude but if you dont know maybe they should get someone else. They ususally also have function issues so parts will probaly need replaced, issues diagnosed
    Im not an idiot, also its a battle weapon its not intended to be technically difficult per se. If its over my head I'll take it to someone. Im still teachable/learnable monkey for field stripping and cleaning. These weapons prob havent been cleaned properly in 20 years from the sounds of it.

I have PDF's of 2 M1 manuals. PM your E-mail address to me and I'll send them to you.
    sounds good thanks!

Thanks Ray! Yes I am actively selling most of my inventory due to a life threatening disease that I've been dealing with for the past 3 years...it's a slow mover similar to cancer and there is no cure. I take a powerful med to
    slow its spread in my lungs. We think my IPF is related to exposure to Agent Orange in the 60s in Vietnam where I flew intel gathering missions for the Army and NSA.

I know the Garand fairly well, and can teach any newbie what to watch for while looking them over. Value is very much set by subjective things such as dates, stampings, marks, whether the rifle is WW2 or Korean vintage, etc. "Paperwork" can also influence price rather nicely, too.

I will be adding listings on GunBroker shortly, but any one interested in what I have available now can email me at: goodguy176@gmail.com and I will then provide my cell # so we can speed up any further conversations.

My remaining rifles are not cheap...start around $1250 for a Service grade
    quality rifle that will be 90% or better period correct, with emphasis on a correct barrel and correct stock influencing price the most.

And, for those considering owning just one Garand in their lifetime, buy one
    that exceeds your budget and get one that is in line with the current market. Buy one that will retain its value, and perhaps grow gradually in worth. The Garand is a very worthwhile investment.

I have owned over 130 of them, after starting out in 2002 to own only one
    of each of the four manufacturers weapons...kinda got the bug and went a bit overboard. I also love to shoot the rifle, and I won or placed well in matches with it as far back as 1960.

Lew--Ranger63
    US Army (Retired--'1984)
    Korea, Vietnam, Vietnam again, West Germany
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Prayers go out to you.

Do you have a bolt disassembly tool?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    There are plenty of videos on how to clean a Garand on YouTube. I found several for when I first got my SA M1A. Some are good, some are bad, but they all have something useful.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Sounds like I am different from most. I do not find the M1 Garand all that enjoyable to shoot. Just too heavy with too much kick for my 65 year old shoulders.

I've been in software development since 1969 working on IBM systems. My son gave me a present of an IBM made M1 carbine. I find that much more enjoyable to shoot than the Garand. If I owned a Garand it would be a safe queen.

gscott

Jan 8, 2015
    Careful

Surprised no one mentioned this, but buying a firearm as a gift could be seen as a straw purchase. There is a question on the 4473 that asks if the gun is for you. I don't know what happens when you say it is not for you. But buying one with the intent to gift it has been found to be a straw purchase in the courts. I recommend giving a gift of a note that is promise to pay for him to buy the rifle, or gift certificate, or something like that.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Surprised no one mentioned this, but buying a firearm as a gift could be seen as a straw purchase. There is a question on the 4473 that asks if the gun is for you. I don't know what happens when you say it is not for you. But buying one with the intent to gift it has been found to be a straw purchase in the courts. I recommend giving a gift of a note that is promise to pay for him to buy the rifle, or gift certificate, or something like that.

Only if the other person is prohibited from owning a firearm.

You can legally gift a firearm to a law-abiding person.

gscott

Jan 8, 2015
    Not true. The case I cite was a guy who bought for his father. His father also passed the BGC for the transfer. But court decided his intent was to buy for his father (to avoid sales tax). Straw purchase. Punished. I don't like it but true case.

dtherr0203

Apr 1, 2015
    Purchasing an M1

I’m a former Marine and M1 enthusiast. I specialize in M1s and can help out your friend. Drop me a note and let’s talk about a few sources available to her.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Not true. The case I cite was a guy who bought for his father. His father also passed the BGC for the transfer. But court decided his intent was to buy for his father (to avoid sales tax). Straw purchase. Punished. I don't like it but true case.

Please cite the case. It was not Abramski v. United States.

In that one the Supreme Court decided it was not a gift.
    https://www.nssf.org/supreme-court-...-not-make-gift-purchases-of-firearms-illegal/

Giving a firearm as a gift:
    There’s no federal law that prohibits a gift of a firearm to a relative or friend that lives in your home state. Abramski v. United States, a recent Supreme Court decision involving a “straw purchase” of a firearm did not change the law regarding firearms as gifts. The following states (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington State) and the District of Columbia require you to transfer a firearm through a local firearms retailer so an instant background check will be performed to make sure the recipient is not legally prohibited from owning the gun. Maryland and Pennsylvania require a background check for private party transfer of a handgun. There are exceptions, so it’s important to carefully check the law of your state or ask your local firearms retailer.
    https://www.nssf.org/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/

gscott

Jan 8, 2015
    Yes. That is the exact case. And just as your second link says, the ATF recommends you buy a gift certificate to give "Dad as his present. That way he’ll get the exact gun he wants, and there’s no question about who is “the actual buyer of the firearm,” which is a question any purchaser must certify on the Federal Form 4473 at the time of purchase."

Abramson bought the gun with the intent to give to his father or uncle, and even thought they transferred the gun legally after the initial purchase he got busted for being a "straw man".

The OP is wanting to buy a gun for someone else, that is different than just gifting someone a gun. I would proceed cautiously, and certainly would not post my intent on the internet for all to see.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yes. That is the exact case. And just as your second link says, the ATF recommends you buy a gift certificate to give "Dad as his present. That way he’ll get the exact gun he wants, and there’s no question about who is “the actual buyer of the firearm,” which is a question any purchaser must certify on the Federal Form 4473 at the time of purchase."

Abramson bought the gun with the intent to give to his father or uncle
    , and even thought they transferred the gun legally after the initial purchase he got busted for being a "straw man".

The OP is wanting to buy a gun for someone else, that is different than just gifting someone a gun. I would proceed cautiously, and certainly would not post my intent on the internet for all to see.

You really should read the actual case:

In the fall of 2009, Petitioner Bruce Abramski’s
    elderly uncle decided he wanted a gun to protect himself
    inside his home. He went to petitioner for advice because
    petitioner was a former police officer and had experience
    with firearms. Petitioner told his uncle that he could obtain
    a law enforcement discount at gun stores and offered to
    buy the gun for his uncle to save him some money

After determining that the gun transfer would be
    legal, petitioner’s uncle sent him a check to cover the cost
    of the gun.
    Petitioner then went to a local gun store and
    bought the gun. As part of the necessary paperwork and
    background check, petitioner filled out ATF Form 4473,
    discussed supra at 8-10. Petitioner checked the “Yes” box
    in response to question 11.a, indicating that he was the
    actual buyer. SA-1.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/abramski-v-united-states/

Gift?

The OP is helping someone else to buy the gun nothing said about the OP buying.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Abramson bought the gun with the intent to give to his father or uncle, and even thought they transferred the gun legally after the initial purchase he got busted for being a "straw man".

You really need to read the case.

In that case, the uncle PAID for the firearm. It was NOT a gift.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    As I recall, the damning evidence was the canceled check the son received from his father, on which the father had written the memo, "FOR GLOCK."

Lesson- do not write memos.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Took apart and put back together 3 of 6 M1's. Really not that difficult. I think disassembly and reassembly of a Ruger pistol is harder:innocent0:lol2: good news so far nothing is bent or broken. bad news is they rifles are in dire need of cleaning. I have to take apart the bolts on 2 because they are really gritty. I think thats the major problem with them not firing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom