• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Another vote for the Savage Rascal. We used Crickets for a while in Hunter safety. They weren't all that accurate and also prone to failure over time.. Triggers kinda crappy. The Rascal has a pretty decent accutrigger-type trigger. No experience yet with longevity. One really nice thing about bolt rifles: they will basically shoot anything you put in them...short, longs, long rifle and in any flavor....standard velocity, high velocity and even CB caps or CCI Quiet.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I’ve looked into all the ones mentioned, I think I’m going with the ruger compact. Something that can grow with him

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I’ve looked into all the ones mentioned, I think I’m going with the ruger compact. Something that can grow with him

Late to the thread.

You and your kid will love it.
    Got one several years ago for my son.
    Now he's 6'1" and he still uses it for most plinking.
    Accurate and great trigger.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

Good choice. The one thing I learned quickly having 3 kids, teaching at youth shoots and the scouts is that kids grow FAST. So that cricket that fits him now, wont next year. Definitely a smart move

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Good choice. The one thing I learned quickly having 3 kids, teaching at youth shoots and the scouts is that kids grow FAST. So that cricket that fits him now, wont next year. Definitely a smart move

We've made mention of the Ruger American's modular stock for "growing into", but need to add the availability of the "Monte Carlo" raised comb stock if you want to use an optic. It is a very versatile gun!!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

I think you'll be quite happy.

It's quite simple (a single allen screw) to adjust the weight of the trigger, too. I've got mine right down around 3# or so and with good ammo that rifle will one-hole a five round group at 25m off of a rest.

The barrel *should* be free-floated from the factory, but occasionally you might need to use some sandpaper on the inside of the stock if there are contact points. You can do the old "slide a piece of paper in there" test to check.

mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    Savage Rascal

Have several 22's at home. None fit my youngest Grandchildren. After looking at different models I purchased the Savage Rascal for them. It a great training rifle. By being a single shot, you can teach them range safety by making sure they use the Safety between shots. The sights on the Rascal have a rear peep so it is easy to teach proper sight alignment . You can't go wrong with the Rascal as their first rifle.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    As someone suggested earlier I would go with t Henry lever action. They are great rifles and will last forever. You will be teaching your grandchildren how to shoot with it and your son his grandchildren (your great grandchildren). I have one and all three of my kids enjoy shooting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom