• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    Does anyone have a favorite hand priming tool that lets you load a 100 primers at a time into a tray feeder? I think loading from strips or tubes is too much. I have a Dillon 550B but mainly use it to feed my 9mm. Or .357sig.

I recently got an RCBS 90200 hand priming tool and have used it to prime .223, .357sig, and 6.8SPC brass.

Two small items standout about this tool.

1) Changing shell holders is fiddly at best and mostly a nuisance so you have to make sure you load a lot of cases.
    a) the requirement to remove primer gate arm then plastic which has bushing inside the shellholder makes it tedious.
    b) the ram is two piece ball joint link which needs to be centered(has slip joint at opposite end to prevent side thrust) and lifted while extending it back up into plastic shellholder/primer chute.

2) Older RCBS shellholders don't fit.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    RCBS makes a universal hand priming tool that I use, works fine for me. No shell holders.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I prime on the Dillon, before that, I'd just swap shell plates and use the auto-prime on the Lee Pro1000.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...MIp57fpbaP2QIVA0CGCh2ghQVbEAQYASABEgLVjPD_BwE

here's the link to the RCBS from Midway. I started using this about 6 months ago. Overall I'm happy with it. .308 and 30'06 cases prime easily. .223 / 300BLK sometimes miss align. You can feel it when it happens, usually just a 1/4 turn and the tool centers the case and all is fine. Just need to pay attention and ensure the case centers before putting much pressure on the primer to start seating. This happens more frequently in prior crimped primer pocket military brass that was swaged (according to the seller). Running the cases through my Dillon super swager solved ALMOST all of the issue. I actually do believe they were swaged by the seller, as my old lee hand primer doesn't have the same issue (it has other issues).

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    well I sent note to RCBS and they are replacing my shellholder that doesn't work. I like the shellholder single primer tool but adding the tray feed is so much less trouble and keeps the primers from ever being touched. My only concern with the Dillon was the lack of primer pocket cleaning although it never seems to be an issue.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I mostly hate Lee stuff but I like their hand primer. It takes special shell holders but a complete set is cheap as is the tool itself.
    I load on a Dillon 550 that I have had for about 20 years but hate changing out from small to large primers and my other press is an old Lyman All American turret which just isnt great for priming period.
    I like the Lee Hand primer and their dies...the rest is pot metal crap

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I've always used an RCBS hand primer. Ensures reliable seating, you can feel the seat. Never has another squib because of the primer seating. I cannot say the same thing for the presses tube feed and prime on the upstroke. I got it in 86 been using it since.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I have used the Lee Hand Priming tool for eons. Wore one out. Never an issue.

The only issue I had was that the unique shell holder for .223 was too tight / didn’t work for about 1/4 of the military brass I primed. Never had an issue with commercial brass, just military. I’m guessing the rim was just a touch thicker?

Anyway, got me frustrated enough to get the RCBS model

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    The ole Lee auto prime with the "round" trays not one problem except when it wears out. Have been fortunate to pick up a few on Fleabay, and whatever parts for them. Got the RCBS universal one, don't use it that much though.

-Rock

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My favorite so far...... you can screw it to a board if you dont want to bench mount,
    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/9...MIz7W7oP2P2QIVEFmGCh1YGAvAEAQYAiABEgKq-PD_BwE
    This, can really stamp them out fast, grab a couple peices of brass and slip them into the holder, work the handle with the other hand. The Lee hand prime will wear your hand out after a couple hundred. I usually prime on my LNL AP though, with a case feeder, I can run 100 through in a couple minutes, chamfering a couple things makes it reliable, a vibra prime fills tubes in a few seconds.

tony b

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2012
    Joppa
    Just used my Lee auto prime last night to prime 250 223 cases while watching the news. No issues ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom