Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    more facebook

Michael Smigiel
    Another piece of good news I received late last night is that the State's Attorney's Association which had opposed HB-45 is supposed to now be taking a non opposition stance in light of the Woollard decision. Today I am asking that folks who have not called in or are willing to call in again please call the vice chair of the House Judiciary Committee, Kathleen Dumais. I will post her contact information when I get up to the State House. I had some long talks with her last night and she seems to be in a position where she could be helpful in moving HB-45 along.
    Like · · 24 minutes ago ·

paulstitz

Jun 19, 2010
    Cockeysville
    There is an article in The Sun this morning, Page 1 lower left, with the headline reads “Gun ruling likely to be upheld, say legal experts”. Not Bad pretty unbiased. The Sun’s website has the same article with the headline “Lawyers say gun ruling likely to withstand appeal”

But under the article on the web site is a link to the MDSP CCW application. I thought that was odd for the Sunpapers

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I've been debating all day, I guess I'm going to apply just to provide support. If this causes me legal headaches I'm going to be pissed. Can anyone reassure me that the MSI / Smigiel requests are honest and not politically manipulative?

Yes, I can be a little paranoid with some things.

Got my character references lined up, now its just fingerprints, notary and pictures.

Thanks.

No horseplay involved. We're giving you all the info we have:

- We do not know exactly what the MSP will do with your app

- If a stay is granted, the state can pretend Woollard did not happen up to the point someone rules (again) in our favor.

- If they stay is not granted, MSP may sit on the apps and do nothing

- There is a chance you'll get a permit, if the cards line up correctly

If the state requests a stay, we want to make sure they cannot claim "we have only a few dozen applicants, and this shows there is no interest from people in getting permits, so really no harm if you hold this decision." Applications prove intent and interest louder than phone calls. Granted, an application costs more, so we ask people to only do this if they can afford it. There will be other ways to help.

I cannot see how someone will get legal trouble for applying, unless someone is a wanted felon and hands over their prints and address to the state police. And if you think about it - that's probably a good thing. As suck-tastic as it is, we are applying for permission to exercise a fundamental constitutional right. The day that causes us "legal trouble", we will have bigger fish to fry.

Leroi

Feb 16, 2011

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Perhaps they are applying a different meeting to "permitted" in Legg's ruling. Could be construed to mean that one doesn't need a permit to exercise a right that already exists.

“A citizen may not be required to offer a `good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights, The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Nah....that was part of their discussion since the session started. I've voiced my objections to the inappropriate use of the term and was told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    How can I help? Can I call someone, write someone, I'm a broke kid (I'm 22 my dad still calls me a kid LoL) so I won't have any money to donate to MSI untill friday, is there any thing I can do.....?

Parents will call their kids "kids" even if you are both living in the same nursing home. I'll be calling my toddler, "kid" until I die. It's just our way of showing you who's boss. :)

There is a ton you can do. We're expecting some fun stuff to come down from the statehouse soon. When it does, get ready to tire out that finger making calls. Better yet, be ready to shine those sneakers and take an afternoon with some more people and go door to door in the statehouse. Think of it as Trick-or-Treating, except your smiling face will be their treat.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Jaybeez.....the thing that's being omitted from that post is that the States Attorney CAN'T oppose the bills because we are now under a court decision.

The either have a policy or it's in code somewhere. That was directly from the horse's mouth in discussions I had yesterday.

The lack of opposition is an administrative decision, not a change of heart in view of the ruling.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    After debating it for a while, I decided to put some money toward MSI rather than bother with the permit right now. I'll wait until the dust settles.

Update: Well, I decided to do the permit now, so everybody wins!

Last edited:

Cranky

Aug 2, 2010
    The Right side of the Bay
    Why doesn’t OweMalley sign on to this as a gold mine? Hell he can raise the permitting fee to $250 - $500 and build a few new schools in Baltimore city! Hell look what is he doing to hunters and boaters :-(

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    What doesn’t OweMalley sign on to this as a gold mine? Hell he can raise the permitting fee to $250 - $500 and build a few new schools in Baltimore city! Hell look what is he doing to hunters and boaters :-(

Those aren't recognized rights.

Onerous burdens that obstruct obtaining a permit will get struck down.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Where are you guys getting $127.25 fee? On the permit it says $75 to MSP and $37.25 for the prints to whomever takes them.

What am I missing?

the 20 dollars for the CJIS fee. If you go do your Live Scan, it is 37.25 + 20.00 for the CJIS portion for a total of 57.25 + the 75 dollar MSP fee = 127.25

It is a little confusing but on Page 1 of the MSP application, in the Note paragraph at the top of the page, it says if you use Live Scan, you only need to send in 75.00 app fee to the MSP. Make sure you get the receipt and attach it to the top left of the app package. Make a copy for your records as you must send in the original LiveScan receipt with your app.

"Fingerprints obtained through Live Scan Technology are paid for at the Live Scan site and do not require a payment to the Maryland State Police."

From one of the live scan vendor websites I am using (MARI in Annapolis):
    FEES (Including all State and FBI fees when applicable)

Full State and FBI check ...................................... $57.25

37.25 for the service and 20 CJIS for the check total $57.25

After March 19th the MSP will no longer accept paper/ink fingerprint cards based on new FBI procedures, so everything is going to LiveScan. MSP website has a list of LiveScan auth places and there are a crapload of them.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    the 20 dollars for the CJIS fee. If you go do your Live Scan, it is 37.25 + 20.00 for the CJIS portion for a total of 57.25 + the 75 dollar MSP fee = 127.25

It is a little confusing but on Page 1 of the MSP application, in the Note paragraph at the top of the page, it says if you use Live Scan, you only need to send in 75.00 app fee to the MSP. Make sure you get the receipt and attach it to the top left of the app package. Make a copy for your records as you must send in the original LiveScan receipt with your app.

"Fingerprints obtained through Live Scan Technology are paid for at the Live Scan site and do not require a payment to the Maryland State Police."

From one of the live scan vendor websites I am using (MARI in Annapolis):
    FEES (Including all State and FBI fees when applicable)

Full State and FBI check ...................................... $57.25

37.25 for the service and 20 CJIS for the check total $57.25

After March 19th the MSP will no longer accept paper/ink fingerprint cards based on new FBI procedures, so everything is going to LiveScan. MSP website has a list of LiveScan auth places and there are a crapload of them.

THAT is a great explanation! We need to start a thread on "How to Fill Out and Apply" and include all of this and a sample app.
    There are gongi to be a lot of question over the next few months, will be nice to have a place to point people to.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom