• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Actually, I believe technically they can legally bar you from purchasing something from within Maryland, even if the thing is never transported or received in the state.

It’s ********. But I don’t know that it violates any laws or the constitution for them to do that. This is seperate from 2A implications of this specific law of course.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I tried buying a SCAR 16 online from Cabelas & chose the having it picked up in Hamburg, PA store option. When I entered my billing address it rejected my order. Tried same thing with 30 rd PMags. Didn’t try to ship here, so to my (admiditly limited) knowledge having a MD based credit card & billing address won’t allow you to buy a MD banned/regulated item from even in cyber-MD. I now drive to PA & buy with cash money bills, no checks or credit cards that might somehow negate the transaction (paranoid I guess). BTW, I do make a point of telling the clerks that I’m from MD, as I don’t want any of them to get into a jam, or get fired for violation of store or PA policy. Trying to keep everything above board for all involved.

Gotta tell you, all of the PA stores I’ve dealt with know the laws and have told me they’re grateful for MD business, and ironically most of the clerks were former MD’ers that were happy as heck to have escaped. FWIW.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    You can buy from Midway and have them shipped to a neighboring state. Or so I've heard..... :innocent0

Mr.Smalls

Mar 24, 2017
    Queen Anne's
    Thank you everyone for your input on this. I do most of my mag buying out in the free American States but it was a curiosity. Im sorry I haven't answered sooner but I've working 12hr shifts this week. Thanks again

Last edited:

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I tried buying a SCAR 16 online from Cabelas & chose the having it picked up in Hamburg, PA store option. When I entered my billing address it rejected my order. Tried same thing with 30 rd PMags. Didn’t try to ship here, so to my (admiditly limited) knowledge having a MD based credit card & billing address won’t allow you to buy a MD banned/regulated item from even in cyber-MD. I now drive to PA & buy with cash money bills, no checks or credit cards that might somehow negate the transaction (paranoid I guess). BTW, I do make a point of telling the clerks that I’m from MD, as I don’t want any of them to get into a jam, or get fired for violation of store or PA policy. Trying to keep everything above board for all involved.

Gotta tell you, all of the PA stores I’ve dealt with know the laws and have told me they’re grateful for MD business, and ironically most of the clerks were former MD’ers that were happy as heck to have escaped. FWIW.

You must be doing something wrong when you place the order. I've done it with the DE store. I wanted to buy some D60 mags but no one ever had them. I found out Cabela's carried them but DE was out of stock. I ordered online with ship to store and picked them up with zero issues.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You must be doing something wrong when you place the order. I've done it with the DE store. I wanted to buy some D60 mags but no one ever had them. I found out Cabela's carried them but DE was out of stock. I ordered online with ship to store and picked them up with zero issues.

Cabela's is as nuts as MD.

They will gladly sell you all the over 10 round magazines you want to buy.

BUT, they will not sell you a rifle or pistol that comes with an over 10 round magazine. Even if you ask them to remove and keep the magazine.

MAKES NO SENSE.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Cabela's is as nuts as MD.

They will gladly sell you all the over 10 round magazines you want to buy.

BUT, they will not sell you a rifle or pistol that comes with an over 10 round magazine. Even if you ask them to remove and keep the magazine.

MAKES NO SENSE.

I actually argued one time just for fun. I happened to overhear a person from MD wanting to buy a Colt HBAR that he specifically came there for. The counter person said let me get (whateverhisnameis) because he's the "expert" on MD law. This person came out and said that it could not sell it because of the magazine. The customer said they could keep the magazine. Then the expert so no again. I could no linger bite my tongue when I spoke up. I told him that may in fact be your policy but in no way is that the law. He told me I was wrong. I reminded him that I could grab an armful of 30 round mags and walk up to the register to purchase them. He said yes, but he said this was different because he was doing a "transfer" when he sold the gone. I told him that's no different than the transfer when I purchase the magazines. He huffed and puffed and walked back into the back room.

If that's the store policy, fine. Just don't go around saying that's the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwJ1n7g1pM

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Cabelas Nightmare is that a Marylander uses one of their "out of state" ARs in a high-profile crime or shooting in MD, and the media latches onto that part of the story.

The flip side is no standard capacity mag ("Buy 'em by the bag!) purchased out of state and then used in a MD crime, would ever be connected back to Cabelas.

Juice/squeeze calculus...

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Good to know. Might be trying that soon in the DE store instead of PA. Coulda been a PA State or store specifice rule. Drive is roughly the same from Carroll County +/-. Gainesville/Manassas is just about the same too.

What I tried online killed my order on step 2 of my order - “Billing Address”. Couldn’t go any further. Not sure how I coulda got that wrong?? If anyone could though it’s me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Good to know. Might be trying that soon in the DE store instead of PA. Coulda been a PA State or store specifice rule. Drive is roughly the same from Carroll County +/-. Gainesville/Manassas is just about the same too.

What I tried online killed my order on step 2 of my order - “Billing Address”. Couldn’t go any further. Not sure how I coulda got that wrong?? If anyone could though it’s me.

No, it is a Cabela's company policy.

It has been reported before for other stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom