• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I just picked up a Winchester 1895 Saddle Ring Carbine in .30-40 Krag tht I am looking to "restore". It's 1914 manufacture. I haven't taken it apart yet to see what it needs, but as a minimum it needs a carbine butt plate and new wood. The upper handguard is particularly bad. I know original wood is probably unobtainable. The barrel is serviceable forth time being, but was shortened about 1/4 inch and recrowned sometime in the past, so eventually I would like to find a replacement barrel. The finish is actually not too bad -- about 80% original bluing.

The regular sources like Numrich don't have much in the way of 1895 parts. I've located one source for a replacement carbine stock (requires some fitting) but not the handguard or buttplate. From what I understand Winchester used the same basic butt plate screws on both the 94 and 95 carbines so they should not be a problem.

Any suggestions on sources? I'm going to the Baltimore show tomorrow so will probably ask around there.

Also, does anyone have any experience disassembling (and probably more importantly, reassembling) the 1895 with any advice or cautions?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You might want to contact Winchester.

They have been making new 1895 carbines recently. I don't know if they are to the specs of the old ones but it might be a source for a new butt stock and butt plate.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Thanks for the pointers. I knew of a couple of these. A couple were new to me. Ordered a reproduction handguard, which will do until a miracle occurs and I run across an original. Now to find a carbine buttplate.

Any other suggestions are certainly appreciated.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    You might want to contact Winchester.

They have been making new 1895 carbines recently. I don't know if they are to the specs of the old ones but it might be a source for a new butt stock and butt plate.

Wrote them a letter and got a nice phone call from them. Unfortunately all they had was flat butt plates, and the original 1895 SRC had a curved butt. She did give me another lead for parts, which I thought was above and beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom