• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Aluminum foil is not an ingredient. Very fine mesh aluminum powder is.

And cold packs don’t guarantee that you have ammonium nitrate since a fair percentage of them are urea.

And that mix is missing the other things that make it actually detonate.

Go to the Boomer Shoot pages and see what they went through to develop the compound they use.

Yes, ammonium nitrate and Al powder will detonate, but what does it take to initiate that detonation??

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri

Go to the Boomer Shoot pages and see what they went through to develop the compound they use.

Yes, ammonium nitrate and Al powder will detonate, but what does it take to initiate that detonation??

All of the relevant information about ingredients is in the patent applications. Wikipedia was nice enough to summarize.

Also, the trick to Tannerite is not getting the detonation to initiate. The trick is getting it to initiate by impact, but still be reasonably safe to handle after mixing.

Also, I don’t need to go to the Boomer Shoot pages since my formal education and job are in the chemistry of energetic materials. Now, go put on your tin foil hat and figure that out. :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    All of the relevant information about ingredients is in the patent applications. Wikipedia was nice enough to summarize.

Also, the trick to Tannerite is not getting the detonation to initiate. The trick is getting it to initiate by impact, but still be reasonably safe to handle after mixing.

Also, I don’t need to go to the Boomer Shoot pages since my formal education and job are in the chemistry of energetic materials. Now, go put on your tin foil hat and figure that out. :lol2:

I understand that.

And that is why I was commenting that my house did not have everything to make it.

And yes, it not the detonation, that is easy. It is the initiation, under the desired conditions, ONLY.

I don't need a tin foil hat.

And yes, I understand what you are saying.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Ask MD owners of binary triggers. Yes, they can, and without compensation, until and unless a court disagrees.

Wait. I haven’t had an interest but... are binary/echo triggers illegal in MD? By that I mean not able to be grandfathered in...?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Not legal to purchase or possess a binary trigger in MD any longer. They had to be destroyed or moved out of the state as of 10/1/18 (or 10/1/19 depending on if you took an intermediate step to jump through a non-existing regulatory hoop with the ATF). But bottom line... they are now contraband in the formerly free state of Maryland.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

From my experience from before the law was passed in MD, 30cal is sufficient

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I happened to be in South Carolina over the weekend and found myself at Academy Sports + Outdoors. I saw that they had tannerite on sale there. Thankfully, I remembered that it is a "no-no" in Maryland and didn't buy any of it. However, the "standard capacity" items in the next aisle were fair game. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom