• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    also tired of getting stung...Im up to 5 stings this month alone!! Ive gone through about 6-7 cans of spray killer. emptied traps numerous times. I was weed eating around my apple trees yesterday and "found" another yellow jacket nest! It got me good right behind the ear. Hurt like hell till early this morning...I have to go up and find them later to eradicate them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I get bachelor groups on game camera when they have velvet, then when they start shredding velvet they disappear till late december:sad20:

What about does? If you can hold does on your property, bucks will come.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    What about does? If you can hold does on your property, bucks will come.

I get a group of six or so does, but Im guessing theres much more around I dont see thats where the bucks head to. But theres some logging operations and some people are moving/building in a normally open field so I think the dynamic is going to change some.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh crap, bow season starts next Friday!!!

Just got my central MD permit this morning. Got my license this past Saturday.

I almost brushed off sighting in my crossbow as I figured I might have time before next Friday and if I didn’t, well it is probably okay.

Glad I didn’t. Damn thing was about 5 inches high at 19 yards. Yikes!

I guess that last day of the season when I got home, decocked it and then had it promptly fall over and land upside down on the scope...on concrete upset my zero a bit. Windage was still perfect, but man.

I need more time at the range to see about the other hash marks, but I was at least able to rezero it and confirm the 19 and 26yd hashmarks are dead on. Or at least that is the ranges I tested it at. It was zero on the first hash at 19yds and it was about an inch or so high on the 2nd hashmark at 26yds. That should mean the others are good also, but I’d really like to confirm. Since the hashes are supposed to be 15-23, 26-32, 34-38, 42-46 and 48-53.

I don’t think I’d trust it passed 40. Not without a lot more testing.

My son also managed to sail one right over the target and killed a really large tree branch.

Good with a 22, crossbow might be a little much for him still.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

No way..... that's awesome I have a decent 8pt that's been hanging around every 2-3 days that I'd like to take a shot at!

Time to get the crossbow out!

Attachments

• 20180826_194451.jpg
      20180826_194451.jpg
      74.9 KB · Views: 347

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I saw a very nice 8-pointer walking along River Road in MoCo between Potomac and Poolesville (or whatever you call that area) at about 3pm yesterday. He was panting from the heat. I wonder what made him get up and move around in the sun when it was 90 degrees out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I saw a very nice 8-pointer walking along River Road in MoCo between Potomac and Poolesville (or whatever you call that area) at about 3pm yesterday. He was panting from the heat. I wonder what made him get up and move around in the sun when it was 90 degrees out.

I got excited when you said river road. Then you had to ruin it by saying in MoCo. I hunt off River road hunting area in Potapsco state park. The river road in HoCo :sad20:

Though I’ve seen a metric F ton of deer down along the pipeline next to the hunting area. So I suspect if I setup along my “usual” trail something will walk along in range next week.

They tend to migrate from the neighborhood back in to the park early morning and then back out from the woods towards the neighborhood come dusk. They know where all of the tasty bushes and gardens are.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Just got my central MD permit this morning. Got my license this past Saturday.

I almost brushed off sighting in my crossbow as I figured I might have time before next Friday and if I didn’t, well it is probably okay.

Glad I didn’t. Damn thing was about 5 inches high at 19 yards. Yikes!

I guess that last day of the season when I got home, decocked it and then had it promptly fall over and land upside down on the scope...on concrete upset my zero a bit. Windage was still perfect, but man.

I need more time at the range to see about the other hash marks, but I was at least able to rezero it and confirm the 19 and 26yd hashmarks are dead on. Or at least that is the ranges I tested it at. It was zero on the first hash at 19yds and it was about an inch or so high on the 2nd hashmark at 26yds. That should mean the others are good also, but I’d really like to confirm. Since the hashes are supposed to be 15-23, 26-32, 34-38, 42-46 and 48-53.

I don’t think I’d trust it passed 40. Not without a lot more testing.

My son also managed to sail one right over the target and killed a really large tree branch.

Good with a 22, crossbow might be a little much for him still.
    Curious, what kind of x-bow scope are you shooting??? Those are some weird range hash increments. Not 15, 20, 25, 30, etc...? Never saw scope increments like what you’re describing. Usually 10 yard increments too. 20 yds, 30 yds, 40 yds..... Crossbows are so fast and flat shooting typically to about 30 or 35 yds they shouldn’t be having few yard increments until after 40 or so yds where the bolt slows down enough to start dropping that arc more severely.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Barnett 4x32. I haven’t tested it much at the longer range hash marks. Why I need to get it back to the range this weekend for some more testing. At 19yds it was spot on and about 1.5” high at 26yds.

But since I was in the middle of one of the ranges and at the start of the other I figured that was good.

But I want to check the 35 and 42yd hashes to see where the bolts are “falling”

I suspect I can get it adjusted with the velocity it has (320fps claimed) and hash distances to get it so it is really a 20yd, 30yd, 40yd, 45yd and 50yd hashes. At least and be minute of pie plate at all of those distances and hashes.

With the arrows I am using and off hand kneeling it is accurate to within an inch at 26yrds. I am actually a little worried one of these times I’ll split/hit a bolt with another one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay, I got it back to the archery range today. It is dead on at 20, 30, 40 and 50yds with one more hashmark to go. Maybe 60? I am not comfortable shooting that far. Beyond rainbow curve, at 320fps claimed I am not comfortable giving a deer that much time to react to the shot and move before the bolt gets there.

I am very comfortable sighing 40yds and okay with the right shot out to 50yds. So yay!

When I did my part and known ranges with lining up on the bull at the appropriate hashmarks it was holding under a 3” group at 50yds and it was all windage. The elevation was within half an inch on every bolt (I shot 9 at 50yds, though 3x3 groups as I only have the 3 arrows of the same type). I am very impressed by the crossbow. Accuracy problems are completely on me. I was shooting sitting off hand. Kneeling off hand my groups are more like 3” at 40yds. Standing off hand it is more like 4” at 30yds. Darn thing is just really front heavy.

From my stand I should be able to keep those groups small.

Less than a week!

Time to go scout my stand location.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Lazarus - I wouldn't worry about that 60 mark. I know you're a careful hunter and will never want to take a low percentage shot. Where we hunt, most shots are under 40 yards anyway.

I'm thinking about getting out for the opener but not at my usual location. All of the rain has made the mosquitoes absolutely unbearable there. I went to check it out on Sunday and I had a swarm on my face the moment I opened the truck door. I might wait a week to give the weather a chance to cool down. Sitting in 95 degree weather with mosquitoes on my face is not appealing this year.

Side note: if any of you go out this weekend and have trouble finding your deer, PM me. If it's within a reasonable drive and you think you got a good hit, I'll come with my tracking dog. I can make it to anywhere in MoCo, HoCo, Frederick, PG, St. Mary's, maybe Baltimore depending on how far and the time of day you call. I want to get my dog plenty of experience and also want to help make sure no deer go to waste, so don't feel guilty calling on me. I want to do it if I can make it out.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Its going to be wayyy too hot for me this weekend. My stand isn't even up yet. I'm thinking of just sitting out til morning weather at least requires long sleeves.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Gonna try to get out there Friday morning since I'll be out of town after that. It's going to be warm for sure but as long as the rain holds out I'll be out there!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Gonna try to get out there Friday morning since I'll be out of town after that. It's going to be warm for sure but as long as the rain holds out I'll be out there!

That’s my thinking. But it depends on how humid it is. My spot means close to a half my hike including about 100ft up a very steep hill. After that I am down and out till the next weekend. If I am lucky, but I think my wife wants us to go camping that weekend or something. Or maybe that is the weekend after.

I might be able to take an afternoon or two on days I work from home, take a few hours off and get out there after lunch. But not next week. To much “the kids are back in school” crap that needs doing the thas been out off the last 11 weeks.

On the marginal shots...I wouldn’t intentionally take one, but the spot in Potapsco I really like of the 6 sits I had last year 5 of the times I saw deer. One big spike I harvested and 4 that we’re out of range of my crossbow, but would have been easy shots with a muzzleloader. Valley isn’t super wide, but maybe 60yds of visibility on the one side and 100yds on the other from the tree I was putting my stand. About 5 deer trails run through that section.

So that means a lot of deer, but a fair number that end up being just out of reach.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve figured out my stand location for tomorrow. Same place I put it for last year’s opener where I got one. Except this time I am hunting only the morning instead of only the evening.

Fingers crossed.

Damn it is hot out. If it looks like it’ll probably rain I am out. Otherwise I’ll try to hunt till 9:30am, then pack it up, go home changes and head to work.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Okay, I got it back to the archery range today. It is dead on at 20, 30, 40 and 50yds with one more hashmark to go. Maybe 60? I am not comfortable shooting that far. Beyond rainbow curve, at 320fps claimed I am not comfortable giving a deer that much time to react to the shot and move before the bolt gets there.

I am very comfortable sighing 40yds and okay with the right shot out to 50yds. So yay!

When I did my part and known ranges with lining up on the bull at the appropriate hashmarks it was holding under a 3” group at 50yds and it was all windage. The elevation was within half an inch on every bolt (I shot 9 at 50yds, though 3x3 groups as I only have the 3 arrows of the same type). I am very impressed by the crossbow. Accuracy problems are completely on me. I was shooting sitting off hand. Kneeling off hand my groups are more like 3” at 40yds. Standing off hand it is more like 4” at 30yds. Darn thing is just really front heavy.

From my stand I should be able to keep those groups small.

Less than a week!

Time to go scout my stand location.
    Its not bad shooting at a target at 60yds its good practice to make the shorter range shots super easy! but as far as shooting a deer that far I prob wouldnt take that shot. Not that my arrow couldnt reach it, I just dont want to risk wounding a deer. 40 and under is best for me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I always have this paralyzing indecision that where I am going to hang my stand is t as good as the place 5 trees over. Or what about the one over there? Or over there? Archery makes it worse due to the shorter range and inability to shoot in to any kind of cover.

I do the same thing with muzzleloader and even rifle, but so much less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom