10/22 Speed Loaders-What's Good, What's Bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Finally own a Ruger 10/22 (Take Down Lite). :)

I know, I'm only 61, "what's the hurry?", you ask. :o

Anyway, loading .22 mags is a real PIA. So I'm needing a speed loader. What's good? What's bad? I'd like to get this right the first time. This shouldn't take long...

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick

Anyway, loading .22 mags is a real PIA. So I'm needing a speed loader. What's good? What's bad? I'd like to get this right the first time. This shouldn't take long...
    I kinds like the Maglula 10/22 BX lula loader.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I only have one Ruger 10/22 and I have only 10 round Ruger mags for it so loading them are no problem really. I assume you are talking about the higher capacity mags? I purchased one of these kits a few years ago at The Nations Gun Show for my 10/22 and it works excellent! https://hcmags.com/

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I only have one Ruger 10/22 and I have only 10 round Ruger mags for it so loading them are no problem really. I assume you are talking about the higher capacity mags? I purchased one of these kits a few years ago at The Nations Gun Show for my 10/22 and it works excellent! https://hcmags.com/

+1 for the HC Mags kit. These can be a bit quirky to use, but follow the instructions on several youtube videos and they work well. A great way to go through a brick in under 5 minutes :-)

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

You were patient enough to wait until you are 61 to buy one. What's the hurry to load it:lol2:

Seriously though, I just bought several mags for mine, didn't know they made speed loaders for 10/22

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Just picked up a Maglula one, works just as well as the rest of the Maglula loaders I have. Very well thought out.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yup,
    Black fingers and dents in my didgets.

Me, I'd rather more mags and that lula gadget than a bunch of stripper clips I have to load up and keep.
    I think I have 4 10 round mags and a 25. I just find the 25 a bit cumbersom but that is me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You were patient enough to wait until you are 61 to buy one. What's the hurry to load it:lol2:

Seriously though, I just bought several mags for mine, didn't know they made speed loaders for 10/22

I'm running out of time?

:D

Thanks guys. I'll start out with the Maglula. I use them on my 9mm mags, so no problem there. Hmmm, I wonder if they make one for my HK MP5 22? :rolleyes:

I also don't have a problem loading stripper clips either. I Put all my 5.56/.223 in strippers.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Yup,
    Black fingers and dents in my didgets.

Me, I'd rather more mags and that lula gadget than a bunch of stripper clips I have to load up and keep.
    I think I have 4 10 round mags and a 25. I just find the 25 a bit cumbersom but that is me.

Once you get the Maglula you’ll load the 25s as fast or faster than you would do a 10rd by hand. I have a 10/15 and about 10-BX25. Only one that ever gave me issue is the BX-25x2, I think the weight of it caused issues.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Once you get the Maglula you’ll load the 25s as fast or faster than you would do a 10rd by hand. I have a 10/15 and about 10-BX25. Only one that ever gave me issue is the BX-25x2, I think the weight of it caused issues.

IMHO the 25s are more awkward than they are worth for bench shooting or typical varmint work. Now if you were popping ground hogs or shooting off hand sure. Heck, I could see them being ridiculously fun for bowling pin shooting or busting clays on a berm (the later is usually when I am using my BX-25s). Otherwise I generally prefer the BX-10 with their flush fit.

I need to try a maglula BX loader. I’d been waiting for them to come out with one. Glad they finally did!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I agree with lazarus on two major points:

1) Bring dead sucks.

2) I generally prefer the BX-10 magazine.

That said and following the crowd, I really like the maglula. I've never had one of their products that didn't work well for me.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Aha! They even make an adapter for MP5 22s! Thanks! :)

This thing is a godsend. Works for my 22lr ar and m&p compact too. Only downside is that it doesn’t work with the ruger magazines. I ditched the ruger mags and went aftermarket just so that I could use this loader.

One other thing with the lightinin loader is that it's great for high volume shooting but I do not use it to load for any sort of precision shooting. Depending on the magazine type you are loading, it can scratch the side of the bullet. This is particularly true for the last couple rounds going into an cmmg ar 22lr mag.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    But it does not work with Ruger factory 10/22 magazines.

I know. What's up with that?? They have an "offset" and a "center feed" attachment. As far as I can tell, you click on their 10/22 adapter, there's no option of choice between the two options. looks like, once again, I'll be the guinea pig. That's why God invented 'returns', I guess. :shrug:

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    IMHO the 25s are more awkward than they are worth for bench shooting or typical varmint work. Now if you were popping ground hogs or shooting off hand sure. Heck, I could see them being ridiculously fun for bowling pin shooting or busting clays on a berm (the later is usually when I am using my BX-25s). Otherwise I generally prefer the BX-10 with their flush fit.

Agreed the 25s are kind of awkward for me too. Ruger now makes a BX15 that looks like it may be just the right compromise. I need to find one on my next trip down south

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Agreed the 25s are kind of awkward for me too. Ruger now makes a BX15 that looks like it may be just the right compromise. I need to find one on my next trip down south

I've been tempted to pick up a could for that reason. Just rubs me a bit wrong that they are basically the same price as the 25s. Maybe a couple of bucks less.

But won't stop me from getting some. I've mostly been prioritizing standard capacity mags (okay, for a 10/22 I'll admit 10 is standard) for other guns I own or are on my dream list. Like I don't own a Vz58 or 61 yet, but I damn well plan to eventually and it seems worth the ~$100 to get 2 or 3 mags for each as an umbrella policy. Actually those are probably the only two guns I don't own that I plan to get magazines for before I own them.

But I also need/want some more M1 carbine magazines, another Cz82 mag or two, etc. So 10/22 mags have been taking a back seat. Though I think I need to pick up a 3 pack of BX-10. I like to keep a spare in my range bag, because I so often forget to pack a magazine for my 10/22 and it often comes to the range with me. And single loading it is not really an option.

The other two BX-10 I have, one is loaded with segmented quiets and one with subsonic quiets for pests around here. I'd like to keep one loaded with either minimags or Velocitors in case I have a BIG pest I need to deal with (like a fox). Which would give me zero spares.

So 4 needed total. A 5th wouldn't be bad so when I take my kids they can be shooting, while I load the other one. And a spare in case one gets lost or broken. Can never have too many magazines for anything :-) (though I think I have 6 P1 mags. That seems rather sufficient).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom