• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Sat all day Sunday with my son for junior hunt and saw absolutely nothing but turkeys- only deer we saw was driving home (central Carroll county).

Bumped three Saturday afternoon going out for light goose in Caroline.

I am really bummed for my son, he was really excited and to just see nothing sucked.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Only had two days to hunt this year and got one I’m happy with.

Attachments

• 1FC31E60-1EFE-42AF-B1AF-A1EAFC6626B5.jpg
      1FC31E60-1EFE-42AF-B1AF-A1EAFC6626B5.jpg
      217.4 KB · Views: 422

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Had a big hoot this year at deer camp. Everyone in the group did well, getting at least 1 each. I got a bico that measured .... maybe a 2. It was a 1 point (almost slick head, with one nub breaking surface )

2 fair bucks too, by some of our driver crew

Attachments

• 561066D6-48BD-41C1-A816-5374273EB488.jpeg
      561066D6-48BD-41C1-A816-5374273EB488.jpeg
      30.7 KB · Views: 392

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So we are going to hunt the second week of gun season in md. Our lease is 2.5 hours away and we do not get down there to manage it too much. We usually put corn out the day before muzzle loader and the weekend before thanksgiving for gun season. If the property were closer or I had more time to get down there, I would bait more often but it is what it is. We usually hunt the first week of gun, this year we are hunting the second. Most of our club will still be there the first week.

My question is, should we put some corn out this weekend November 23rd for Hunting starting Dec 7th, my thoughts are that it takes a little while for the deer to find the corn so if we bait Dec 6th it will take them a few days to find it, plus there will most likely be corn piles from other club members they are already going to. Also my thoughts that if we put the corn out and no one is hunting our section of the property, there will be no pressure on them the two weeks we are not there and that lets them get comfortable. Thoughts?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    If there’s anymore than just a little pressure from other club members already then more than likely the deer are already nocturnal to the corn piles.
    If your spot happens to be a travel route to the other bait sites you may not have to bait at all. Let them do the work for you.
    Sometimes guys will bitch if you bait and don’t hunt because they think your stealing the deer off of their established site. Depends on whose in there and how often they hunt.
    If others are hunting a field and you bait in the woods they get mad because they’re not seeing anything but really deer don’t like getting shot at where they feed or it’s stunk up but some don’t get it.
    If your keen to hunt over a corn pile till you get there just put twice as much out than you normally would and sit in twice as long.
    You’ll get one with time in the woods or when someone pushes one to you.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Deer can find a corn pile very quickly -I put out a homemade feeder -5gal bucket with a small hole in the bottom and a broom handle hanging down to knock corn out-deer found it the next day I was on my stand-they figured out how it worked immediately. google is your friend for plans.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Deer can find a corn pile very quickly -I put out a homemade feeder -5gal bucket with a small hole in the bottom and a broom handle hanging down to knock corn out-deer found it the next day I was on my stand-they figured out how it worked immediately. google is your friend for plans.

coons don't empty you out?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay

Deer are stupid. I put two of these out and the coons and squirrels figured out how to move the sticks to get corn and the deer never figured it out.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    If there’s anymore than just a little pressure from other club members already then more than likely the deer are already nocturnal to the corn piles.
    If your spot happens to be a travel route to the other bait sites you may not have to bait at all. Let them do the work for you.
    Sometimes guys will bitch if you bait and don’t hunt because they think your stealing the deer off of their established site. Depends on whose in there and how often they hunt.
    If others are hunting a field and you bait in the woods they get mad because they’re not seeing anything but really deer don’t like getting shot at where they feed or it’s stunk up but some don’t get it.
    If your keen to hunt over a corn pile till you get there just put twice as much out than you normally would and sit in twice as long.
    You’ll get one with time in the woods or when someone pushes one to you.

I don't think many of the club members bait on a regular basis. I would imagine they bait the week before rifle. We are not a close knit club and kind of just have our own small groups with own areas of the lease. I am not worried about baiting and taking away from other club members, its not like they are going to take their corn out when they leave after the first weekend of rifle. That is actually my real worry, if they have a whole club of corn piles, they won't need to look for our fresh corn pile if we wait until Dec 6th. my plan is to bait heavy this weekend or early next week and see how that works out.

In a perfect world, I would have more control over where I hunt, I think we have a decent spot as far as travel but I inherited a permanent stand when I got in the club a few years ago and in our groups spot there is not much free space to put a new stand up.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Deer are stupid. I put two of these out and the coons and squirrels figured out how to move the sticks to get corn and the deer never figured it out.

This is exactly what I was worried about when saw this bucket idea.
    The racoons hang on my timed feeder sometimes to get some more corn out but at least they don't empty them out.

I used fox urine around my feeder one year and that helped. (man that fox was not happy with what I was doing with it but was happy once I let him go)

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    This is exactly what I was worried about when saw this bucket idea.

The racoons hang on my timed feeder sometimes to get some more corn out but at least they don't empty them out.

I used fox urine around my feeder one year and that helped. (man that fox was not happy with what I was doing with it but was happy once I let him go)
    I just got a picture of the coons hanging with the fox at the feeder....so that's not gonna work for me..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Anyone else hardly seeing anything? Since the last full moon when it was up all night the deer have changed patterns and I can't find many at all. Even huntined 9 - 2 and see some, but not a lot.

Feeling bad about all the does I passed up waiting for the rut action which seems to never have heated up at our place. Some deer walking about with tails out, forks and spike following does lightly, not chasing. No big bucks seen and no swollen necks noticed. This "rut" doesn't even seem like one at our place.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    A nice doe walked through my front yard. Passed by the security camera on driveway at 5:30am.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Anyone else hardly seeing anything? Since the last full moon when it was up all night the deer have changed patterns and I can't find many at all. Even huntined 9 - 2 and see some, but not a lot.

Feeling bad about all the does I passed up waiting for the rut action which seems to never have heated up at our place. Some deer walking about with tails out, forks and spike following does lightly, not chasing. No big bucks seen and no swollen necks noticed. This "rut" doesn't even seem like one at our place.

I haven't been out since the youth hunt but had an emergency call in for a tree across a road early Sunday am. On my way in to work about 4:30 - 4:45 I saw 4 does standing on the the edge of the road where I've seen them crossing before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom