• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    I am a man (> 16 y.o.). As such, I am prohibited from hunting deer this Saturday (Junior Hunt Day).

Question: May I legally hunt other species (e.g. small game) on Jr. Hunt Day?

MD hunting regs state that only deer may be hunted on the first day of firearms season, but what about Junior Deer Hunt Day?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Who says you can't hunt deer? Archery season is open state wide for normal hunting this weekend.

Veblen

Feb 16, 2018
    MoCo
    Who says you can't hunt deer? Archery season is open state wide for normal hunting this weekend.

According to page 18 of the 2019-2020 hunting guide:

"Junior Deer Hunt Days are for hunters age 16 or younger only."

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County

From page 26.

"Archery equipment may be used to hunt deer during all of the deer hunting
    seasons. This includes the Archery Season, Muzzleloader Season, Firearms Season and Junior Deer Hunt Days."

There is more info on that page also.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't think that adults are prohibited. It's just that juniors can hunt those days with fewer restrictions.

The next page of that guide states archery season is open October 21st through November 29th.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    You can hunt bow this weekend, but clearly not rifle.

I'm glad there is still a youth hunting day, there isn't enough young people interested and always seems to be one of the best weekends to hunt.

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    As others have shown, you can bow hunt this Saturday. The youth get to use firearms ( before edit - forearms ) for deer, so you need to wear orange.

From the Hunting Guide: Those who hunt with archery equipment during the Junior Deer Hunting Days, Deer Firearms and Deer Muzzleloader Seasons are required to wear fluorescent orange and/or pink.

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Junior Firearms Hunt day. You can still archery hunt. You still need to wear blaze orange though, which sucks when trying to get within 20 yds of a deer. And yes, even if you’re on your own private property, thems’ the rules.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Junior Firearms Hunt day. You can still archery hunt. You still need to wear blaze orange though, which sucks when trying to get within 20 yds of a deer. And yes, even if you’re on your own private property, thems’ the rules.

Honestly that requirement is going to make me wear the smallest piece of orange allowable under the regs (a hat) and position myself so I am more behind a tree than normal on my property. It’s fairly small and my neighbors are okay with me hunting it...but I don’t need to be making a statement of them seeing orange up in a tree when they glance out a window.

Leaves off the trees and neighbors 200+yds away can see that blaze orange. I don’t need their permission, but I also don’t need them taking a disliking to me either.

If it was a bigger property I wouldn’t care, but since I do need permission for 90% of my 4.4 acres for safety zone reasons in HoCo for archery and frankly most bow kills for retrieval isn’t likely to stay on my property (so far 2 have and 2 went 15-50yds off my property) I want to keep the neighbors as happy as I can. Maybe some day in retirement if I get 15+ acres I’ll care a bit less. Till then...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I hear a few of those 7mm new bows they have right around dark around here. They seem to be identifying as bow when they report their kills

It can be nuisance permit for a farm. They can use what ever firearms is legal for the county while others are restricted to archery.
    or maybe its those "sharp shooters" we about in the news sent into parkland to cull a herd. Must be cool to be a "sharp shooter".

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It can be nuisance permit for a farm. They can use what ever firearms is legal for the county while others are restricted to archery.
    or maybe its those "sharp shooters" we about in the news sent into parkland to cull a herd. Must be cool to be a "sharp shooter".

I've seen some of the park officials rifles, the ones I saw were 223 bolts, suppressed and use 40gr black hills ammo. Report wouldn't be god awful loud, but you'd hear the crack for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom