• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Personal experience, bias, opinions, and a shameless plug follow. These are not the opinions of the forum, but meant to spark conversation and serve as a reference point and directions for other buyers in the central MD area.

-----

After reading in another thread about all the gun shops on the Rt 2 corridor, I decided to see what's out there. Since the girlfriend and I both had short days today, we drove through Glen Burnie to see what's available. Here's a short synopsis of what we found.

Headed southbound from 695 onto Rt 2, just as 2 and 3 split, Bart's Sports World (6814 Ritchie Hwy) :D is the first building in the median area. They were pretty busy (~4 guys behind the counter, one on the showroom floor, and ~8 customers). They have a surprisingly large selection of O/U and side-by-side shotguns, they have several dozen handguns under glass and a healthy supply of rifles, too. Some new, some used. I'd never seen or handled an FN FS2000 before (same unique FN style, but chambered in .223, and safe for lefties to use!), but they were able to speak intelligently about it.

A bit further south from Bart's is A&D Pawn (706 Crain Hwy). :thumbsup: Again, a pleasant experience with talkative and knowledgable staff. Obviously salesmen, but they weren't pushy at all - just ready to put a gun in your hands and tell you all the wonderful things about it. There were a few other shoppers in the store, about an even mix of one customer for each of the three guys that I saw behind the counters.

Continuing south from A&D is Otto's Police Supply (514 Crain Hwy), or so I'm led to believe. I couldn't find it. :tdown: The 514 building is actually a series of buildings off of the main drag and I didn't see anything to indicate which was Otto's. While cruising the road that connects all the 514 buildings, I asked one guy where Otto's was and he didn't know, but suggested "further back" and when I get to the end without seeing it, I ask another fellow who suggests "first building back up at Crain, but be careful stepping over the homeless guys." So I went back up to that first building, stepped over a homeless guy (carefully!) and still didn't find it.

Continuing south, and a right turn later - Arundel Firearm and Pawn (7427 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd) :party29: was my best experience of the day. (Well, best firearm-related experience, that is!) Once you find the correct door into the place, there's about a 70/30 mix of firearms to other, more typical, pawn shop stuff. The man who greeted us was friendly and chatty, and after a few minutes of telling him about MDShooters, he pointed out that they have plenty of other weapons in the back if I had something in mind. "What do you have for someone interested in making some long-range shots... maybe in a .50?" I asked, expecting to be scoffed at, or given the typical "Barrett's the only one that can do that" line since I can't imagine a pawn shop gets many of those in. I was wrong. He brought out a true beast of a rifle (McMillan bolt action) and was able to discuss its details as if he'd built it himself. I'm going to start calling this place Mecca. :)

Back down Crain for a bit, then right on Quarterfield is Scott's Gunsmithing at the corner of Quarterfield and Thelma (231 Thelma Ave.) It was another pleasant experience, but a small shop. I gathered that they do more gunsmithing than selling (good name for the company, then, eh?) but they have a few dozen rifles on the back wall and a good handful under glass, too. Most of what I saw were show pieces (paired and sequentially numbered third-generation Colts - a 1972 Colt 1911 commemorating the end of WWII hostilities in Europe, etc) but they were helpful with honest answers to a few newbie questions that I threw their way. I got the warm fuzzies when I saw the owner was carrying (but not concealing well at all) but then again, it's a gun shop, it's to be expected. A small shop, we were the only patrons I saw at the time, but they had some good, straightforward answers.

Accurate Pawn (from Hwy 100, turn north on 1 and it's on your right near Duckett's Rd.) probably had the best deals on firearms but I didn't get very good service while there (or see many firearms):sad20:. Two salespeople (one newbie, one probable owner) were working, but the more senior salesperson was busy showing the newbie how to unpack boxes and display items while simultaneously getting ready for a large show this weekend and trying to answer our questions. Between all the tasks he was trying to accomplish, and add us to the mix ... we got the short end of his attention. Short answers, a little bit of sales pitch (November's sale is on Kimber and some other manufacturer that slips my mind at the moment - just $50 over their price) but I didn't see more than a dozen handguns in the shop. He pointed at a couple rifle cases that had been sold as an example of the rifles he usually carries but most of his inventory had already been boxed up for the show. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was busy with a new salesperson, it was ~30 minutes before closing, and he's got a big show this weekend ... so he's allowed being a little short on chattiness with two customers coming in just to ask questions.

At the end of the day, I'm looking forward to spending my money at Arundel Firearm and Pawn. Most of the places I went to were courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful (except Otto's that I couldn't find and Accurate Pawn who was just too busy while I was there). I'm glad we still have these kind of mom-and-pops kind of pawn shops and gun stores. You wouldn't get this kind of attention and customer service from some big box store.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Good informative post.
    I've only been to Bart's (didn't like) and A&D (love them and have purchased a few pistols over the years- but not in the last six or seven-glad to see they still treat people well).
    I will visit the others as I get a chance.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    My experience with A&D went something like this:

(we were approached by two salesmen): "Can we help you find something?"
    Me: "We're mostly looking, might have some questions in a bit."
    (second salesman, speaking to my girlfriend): "We've got a lot of jewelry on the other side."
    Girlfriend: "No, thanks, I'm here for the guns, too."
    Salesman: "Oh, well we have some great home-defense weapons..."
    Girlfriend: "That's nice, may I see that short AR over there?"

They pulled it out, showed her some of the basics, and everyone was happy.

That's my kinda girl and my kinda shop. :)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Pretty fair assessment of the shops. Between Spot77 and I, I think we've done at least one major purchase from each of those shops except Otto's

The guys at Arundel must have like the fact that you brought your girlfrined with you, because they are usually a little reserved with new folks. Once I got to talking politics with the guy last year we developed a great rapport and they were very supportive of our information distirbution efforts.

Otto's is for lack of a better term a boutique shop. Of course, being more easy to find would help him to expand the business should he choose to do so.

If I were looking for a high end trap gun, Bart's would be the first place I'd go without a doubt. Jack is a serious trap competitor and would be able to pick out a gun for you that would fit perfectly.

Scott is the man, as are his employees. I know that they are planning on expanding their retail operation, but they are swamped with smithing work right now. The retail prices are a tad on the high side there, but I figure Scott has done enough little freebie work on my guns when I've jacked something up that I'd still be ahead if I got something else from him.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Everyone forgets to mention Select Fire over near the Glen Burnie Mall. Small firearms selection, but at least you can shoot your guns there (pistols, shotguns w/ slugs only, rifles with pistol calibers, machine guns with pistol calibers) If you don't own a machine gun you can rent one of theirs!! I know they have a Tommy Gun and an MP5 for rent. There are more to rent but I don't remember what they were. I think it was around $50 for 3 mags depending on the gun. Sure the guys usually have a holier-than-thou attitude, but at least you can pop a few caps in the range! :lol2:

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Dont know if this was said or not, but Otto is a LEO. I called him before about some things and his shop hours are all over the place.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Everyone forgets to mention Select Fire over near the Glen Burnie Mall. Small firearms selection, but at least you can shoot your guns there (pistols, shotguns w/ slugs only, rifles with pistol calibers, machine guns with pistol calibers) If you don't own a machine gun you can rent one of theirs!! I know they have a Tommy Gun and an MP5 for rent. There are more to rent but I don't remember what they were. I think it was around $50 for 3 mags depending on the gun. Sure the guys usually have a holier-than-thou attitude, but at least you can pop a few caps in the range! :lol2:

I've rented the mp5 there a couple of times.

The first experience was ....um...interesting. Years ago, Norton gave me a gift certificate to Select Fire to shoot the mp5. So my wife and I went in there one afternoon/evening and told the fella working about it. He was nice, and we went through the paperwork crap real fast. I said, "we'll need some instruction; we're not gun owners (I wasn't at the time) and I've certainly never shot anything like this before." He looked at me with a friendly face and said, "sure....Just stand with your feet square to the target and shoot it on semiauto until you get used to it."
    :innocent0

Yeah...I was looking more for mag release, how to chamber the gun....where the safety was.....newbie kinda' things.

I smiled and said thanks and walked onto the range and figured ut out.

That was the best service I ever had in there, and that's not saying much. It gets far worse with subsequent visits.

Anyway....

Otto's is in the first building as you pull into the business complex. Look for the vans and the building door that say,"Whatta Blast" (a painting and powerwashing company.) Use that door and walk upstairs. Otto's has odd hours....I've posted them here before but I'm too lazy to look up the info now :)

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

My momma told me that if I can't say something nice about someone that I shouldn't say anything so I won't comment on Select Fire.

I will say, however, that I've dealt with every other shop in AA County with the exception of Otto's (because of his weird hours) and have good things to say about all of the others.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I used to deal with Bart's a LOT, but will NOT go in there again. I'm not going to say anything not nice, but will state a few facts. They charge $50 for any transfer, plus any MSP fees, and do not send out 77Rs in a timely manner (waiting until they get a few). My last (ever) transfer with them sat in back for a week while they denied having received it until confronted with shipper tracking info, then it took almost two weeks to get the 77R back, which, contrary to the safeguards built into the law, MUST take place before they'll let one have their property.

I did transfer a suppressor there **once**, but my momma wouldn't want me talking about Select Fire either. :innocent0

I've been using Clayton Otto for my transfers, and he IS a good guy, but his shop hours are definitely a little odd. He has been open pretty regularly on Saturday afternoons, and whenever I have had a transfer with him, he has called me and arranged to meet me at the shop ASAP. He has been working on getting retired from the sheriff's dept and will be open much more when that occurs. Clayton's shop is on the second floor, and accessed by a ground-level door in the first building off Crain Hwy. His fee was very cheap, but, IIRC, he's recently gone up (too). He is also a C-III dealer with a few items in stock and my C-III of choice for my next device.

A&D has always been a positive experience, but, my own expectation of saving big money by going to a pawn shop must have been unreasonable and they were as much as anyone on new stuff. I bought a .17 Remington there a few years ago and they were good to deal with then.

Arundel Pawn? I guess I'll need to give Phil Griffith another chance, been years since I've dealt with him . . .

Clyde's in Landsdown is another local shop, but I would define them more as a hunting/fishing store than a place to buy black rifles. . .

I haven't been to Scott's since he just got started and had less stuff on his shelves than I did (not as bad as it might sound) and sharing space with that weenie of a 'taxidermist' (sorry Ma), Glen Jenkins. As close as it is and with all the positive comments I see lately, I really should stop in there.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Wow Ed....I had forgotten about the taxidermist being there...I remember seeing all of the leftovers piled up out back behind the building. :sad20:

And I too forget about Clyde's a lot.....They're pretty far from where I live now, soit's rare that I'm in that area. They usually have some handguns in there too. I think they might be a Kimber dealer??

During this year's legislative session they were very receptive to the anti-awb literature I took by and they kept it right on the front counter for all to see and take. Good people, and I like finding some old obsolete fishing lures in there every once in a while. :)

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    I've dealt with all these shops except Otto's for over 30 years. I've had two bad experiences with A&D, with my only two visits, and won't go back. Arundel Firearm and Pawn used to be Colonial Arms years ago, nice place except for one guy that was there years ago. Bart's is a nice shop with a friendly staff. I usually went to Select Fire when purchasing, got the best prices and usually had to order, but wasn't much of a wait. Handguns were always in before the end of the waiting period. Scott's is great. Yes it's small but he has a variety and different types every time I go in. He and everyone in the shop is pleasant and knowledgable. Clydes is pretty friendly and has a varied selection.

I made a drive around trip like you did a couple of weeks ago. I needed a .30 caliber cleaning jag. I went to Outdoor World, Barts, Select Fire, Dicks, Arundel Firearms and Pawn, Clydes and Scotts. Believe it or not, not one of the places had a .30 cal cleaning jag. Select Fire had a 9mm and 45 only. I guess I should have paid 6 dollars shipping instead of 20 dollars in gas for a futile search.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    Do any of these shops have anything in the way of C&R long guns at half decent prices?[Not the $150 beater 91/30 Mosin, minus cleaning rod.]

DorGunR

R.I.P.
    Mar 7, 2007
    Severn
    I admit that I'm biased as hell..........I shop only at Scott's, because I happen to appreciate the service I get there and I think that Scott and Tony are great guys.

sniper350

Oct 18, 2007
    Maryland
    Otto's is for lack of a better term a boutique shop. [Norton ]

Norton -have you been there lately ?? ........ drop by Otto's any Saturday afternoon you have free .......things change and you need to know where to look :thumbsup: True his hours "suck" .........but I can't complain with the deals I have gotten.

He is now a Stocking SIG dealer and Glock dealer and Oh yes a Wilson Dealer and the Only Nighthawk dealer in this State [ last I checked ] Nighthawk seems to have dropped MD from their distribution list this year as Otto says no guns have been submitted to him to take to the review Board. Don't know why, unless Nighthawk has found another dealer ?? He also has a good working relationship with Rock River Arms. Sold a bunch of custom "Black Rifles" and being a classIII dealer you can outfit yours with a silencer for $375 +tax stamp

His *new* on the market SIG P-226 20 round pistol [9mm] with fiber optic & tritium front sight - flew out the door ! He tries to stock the high end unusual stuff ....like threaded barrels, special Navy editions Etc.

Since he takes things on consignement .......unless you visit every Saturday you will miss out on some special buys [ I try to be there every Saturday to look over what came in during the week ] From a beautiful $2,000 Mauser to the Norinco Winchester copy of the "Terminator" lever Action 12 ga. Shotgun. You will find almost anything come in there.

I don't mind sharing this location with a few Members here -- but don't everyone rush to this shop -- I want to continue to grab great "used" pistol deals as they come in the door. :party29: -- 15 over the past 3 years.
    The money I have saved allows for more ammo buys :D

Discloser : I have no financial connection to this best kept secret in Glen Burnie.

JF.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Norton -have you been there lately ?? ........ drop by Otto's any Saturday afternoon you have free .......things change and you need to know where to look :thumbsup: True his hours "suck" .........but I can't complain with the deals I have gotten.

Believe me, it wasn't a negative criticism. :D

I know the guy has his day job and has to work around that and I know he stocks great stuff. I was just contrasting it to a place, say, like On Target that has huge visibility, long hours and does a huge volume of business.

The flip side is that a lot of the busier places don't have the same level of personal service as a place like Otto's. Further, as you point out, he has lots of cool stuff that others don't stock.

I talked to Clayton at a gun show or two and he was a great guy. I'd definitely do business with him if I could make the hours work out. I'm usually so busy on Saturdays that I can't make it up ther.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I started using Gideon Gun Sales in Bel Air for my transfers. His prices are reasonable and he works out of home. I don't believe he stocks much of anything, and mostly does transfers. This is a good thing since you can avoid the uncomfortable situation with a stocking FFL of asking them to transfer in a gun that they currently have on the shelf for 200 bucks above the going rate. :rolleyes:

sniper350

Oct 18, 2007
    Maryland
    This is a good thing since you can avoid the uncomfortable situation with a stocking FFL of asking them to transfer in a gun that they currently have on the shelf for 200 bucks above the going rate.

trbon8r brings up a good point .......so its best to mention that at Otto's [ don't know about other dealers in the area ] he WON'T transfer a weapon that he stocks or can order. He will transfer a specialty item, if he can't get it for you.

Makes good business sense .......... why transfer a Glock from an Internet sale, when you have 6 Glocks sitting inside your counter. At $525 new .......by the time the buyer pays for shipping and insurance and transfer fees, he is usually within a few bucks of the new price anyhow - but some people don't seem to understand the dealers need to keep the lights on. It is great if you don't have a store front requiring rent, insurance, heating, electric & security.

JF.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    i have bought a few guns from arundel firearms and pawn. both of the gentlemen (if you can call them that) have been VERY helpful and knowledgeable. They also have a decent fll transfer fee (35 bux)

I have purchased a used sigpro 2340 and a new remington 870 tactical 12 guage from them. I have plans to go back and take another look at the sks they have sitting on the rack.

I alternate between arundel and the gun center which is in frederick md. both are good, both are friendly and both have average prices. I would take good service over price anyday, when i have questions i need answers to.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    i have bought a few guns from arundel firearms and pawn. both of the gentlemen (if you can call them that) have been VERY helpful and knowledgeable. They also have a decent fll transfer fee (35 bux)

I have purchased a used sigpro 2340 and a new remington 870 tactical 12 guage from them. I have plans to go back and take another look at the sks they have sitting on the rack.

I alternate between arundel and the gun center which is in frederick md. both are good, both are friendly and both have average prices. I would take good service over price anyday, when i have questions i need answers to.

When I went to Arundel Firearms and Pawn to do a transfer on an AK-47 they wanted to charge me the $35 plus $10 for a regulated gun. Then they wanted to charge me tax on the ENTIRE cost of the gun! :sad20: I was outta there. Went to Jessup Pawn he did it for $35 FLAT! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom