• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How Do you Rate the MAK-90 (stamped Receiver)?

Votes: 6 26.1%

Votes: 2 8.7%

Votes: 8 34.8%

Votes: 3 13.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 2 8.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    On a scale from 1-10 (1= Trash, 10=Excellent Battle Rifle)

How Do you Rate the Norinco MAK-90 (stamped Receiver)?

I guess the 10 is a Pre-Ban Top of the line like the PolyTech Legend. and a 1 is a crappy worst build you've ever seen.

Please elaborate!!! Appreciate feedback

Attachments

• Mak 90.jpg
      Mak 90.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 2,210

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    8 on a general rating. 9.5 on function. Age and time of import radically affect the rating. Assume this is early squared reciever. Add bonus points for milled

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    The Mak-90 is one of my favorites.

If i could ever get my hands on a milled Mak, I'd trade a kidney...

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I paid $179 for mine back in the early 90s, haven't shot it in at least ten years. I used to shoot that crappy yellow box flame throwing NORINCO ammo in it all the time until they banned it from being imported. :rolleyes:

The question doesn't clearly identify what we are rating it against. Other AKs? ARs? Cheese sticks? Individually hand crafted figurines suitable as investment grade art?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I am far from an AK guru, but I will say this for the Norinco MAK90. A friend has had one for many years and I have personally witnessed him put probably 10K rounds through it and the whole time he never cleaned the thing once outside of an occasional patch down the barrel. I'm talking maybe 3 - 4 times. Thing has run without so much as a hiccup. I opened it up the other day to do break it all down and clean it for him and I couldn't believe the amount of crap in that thing and it just kept on running.

Edit: For the record, this is a square cut receiver.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    those who rated 7 and below. please elaborate!!!!

I'm not mad, i just want feedback good or bad. if rated 8-10 thats pretty good in itself but 7 and below I'm interested to know why??

I have a chance to pick up a Mak 90 I just want to make sure!!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i would rate the mak90 as only good.
    i have one it, it had hammer mushrooming after a few hundred rounds.
    the chinese did there one thiing as far as ak specs are concerned.
    while other ak makers, romanian,yugo etc parts will interchange for the most part, chinese parts seem slightly out of mspec.
    your results may vary.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Love my Mak and Polytech . The Mak has had 1000s of rounds through it and never a hiccup . If you have the chance to get one I would . I love all my Norincos.

Attachments

• poly1.JPG
      poly1.JPG
      50 KB · Views: 321
    • mak90.JPG
      mak90.JPG
      46.8 KB · Views: 299
    • norincos.JPG
      norincos.JPG
      119.4 KB · Views: 274

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The norinco mak90 is really an offspring of the chinese type56 assault rifle . Compared to other akm type rifles, it is one of the best. I really like the stamped receiver as compared to the milled versions. This is due to the ability of stamped receivers to flex a bit, making them more durable as compared to Chinese milled receivers. The trigger on the mak 90 is also very good for a military type weapon. I would rate the type 56 second only to true russian made ams. In fact, US special forces prefer the akm type 56 over any other akm copies. This weapon and it's variants can be seen in all areas of conflict in the world. When people refer to the AKs legendary reliability, they are actually talking about the AKM type 56. Or it's civilian legal counterpart, the norinco Mak 90.

If 10 is best, I would rate the norinco Mac 90 in pre ban configuration a solid 8. Only drawback is that parts will not interchange with European akm variants. But on the other hand, the out of spec parts are beefier. The receiver is also 1.5mm thick . Other variants use a 1mm receiver.

My akm type 56 -1 is my favorite akm. It has the under fold stock and deep blue finish. This is the only one in my collection that has bragging rights of not a single jam. This only applies to rifles that I shoot and have owned for more than 10 years. Even with a steady diet of Chinese and Russian steel cased ammo.

My Dad has a akm type 56 rewet from the Vietnam war. This is a good as it gets. I have several akm variants and the mak 90 is closest to a true military akm. Again, when Vietnam vets talk about the ak.. It's the type 56 .. These were very prolific and still in use today.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The Chinese make great AKs, though they took the original Russian design and tweaked it to their preferences.

The MAK and the older pre-bans are a unique blend of original AK-47 milled parts on a beefier stamped AKM-style receiver--50% thicker more like the RPK light machine gun. IMO the fit and finish on Chinese parts is impeccable and they have some of the best factory fire control groups (replacing with a Tapco G2 is a real shame). The only thing I don't like about them is the hooded front sight.

Both the stamped and milled versions are great buys, although they've almost doubled in price since I bought mine a few years ago. Wish I'd bought more... :D The milled MAK-91s are basically just neutered Polytech Legends at less than half the cost.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I gave it an 8. Its one of my favorites and they are still affordable. I just finished one today and it reaffirmed why the Chinese AK's are my favorite.

I only give them an 8 because of the blued finish. Once a refinish is done its a solid 9.5

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Love mine. Only drawbacks were already stated here. Mine is a post-ban, neutered, slant cut, BTW. It's never failed on me. Excellent trigger for an off the shelf AK. Smooooth.:)

I like the HK style sight hood. Thick receiver, fat barrel, what's not to love? ...oh, yeah, the factory thumbhole stock cut from a 2x6.:sad20:
    Can't win 'em all.;)

I replaced mine with a Fiberforce thumbhole and I actually like it better than a pistol grip. To each, their own.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OK....What would you say is a REALLY Good price for a MAK90?

Stamped Slant Cut MAK $400-$500

Stamped Square Cut MAK $500-700

Milled $800-$1200

I like the NHM91 because they can be had for a little less than a MAK abd the barrel is thicker. They can be chopped and shortened and almost all have a square cut receiver. I only suggest a NHM if you plan to make a RPK Clone or chop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom