• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I bought some of the 115 gr. Berry's Bullets to use in my 9MM loads last week but they shot too low in both my S&W M&P9 Pro and M&P9 pistols. I thought I had wasted my money but I wanted to see how they shot in my Ruger LC9S so I took that to the range today.

They were right on the money and I probably could shoot near bulls-eyes with them if I used a benchrest. :thumbsup:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Walther and CZ both use 124gr to test-fire and sight their pistols in at the factory. 115gr bullets tend to shoot at a slightly lower POI so when I order bulk ammo online, I usually get 124gr because it impacts more closely to factory preset point-of-aim.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have a CZ P-01 that only likes Winchester 124g NATO. Everything else seems slightly low and left. Occasional ftf with 147g self defense loads. My CZ SP-01 Tactical likes to eat anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Walther and CZ both use 124gr to test-fire and sight their pistols in at the factory. 115gr bullets tend to shoot at a slightly lower POI so when I order bulk ammo online, I usually get 124gr because it impacts more closely to factory preset point-of-aim.

Good to know. I'll try them in my M&Ps to see how they shoot. Thanks!

What does Walther use to sight in the PK380? I just got one of those.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How low is too low ? I've found typical POI shift between 124 vs 115 to be 1.5-2.0 in at 25yds .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

I made up 10 rounds of 124 gr. ammo last night and fired them today in my M&P9 Pro Series pistol. They were very accurate at 15 yards but I used the minimum load and had a couple of FTF/FTEs. I'll load up a mid-range load and that should solve that problem.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I made up 10 rounds of 124 gr. ammo last night and fired them today in my M&P9 Pro Series pistol. They were very accurate at 15 yards but I used the minimum load and had a couple of FTF/FTEs. I'll load up a mid-range load and that should solve that problem.

Cool! I don't know what S&W uses to sight them in at the factory with but it seems like most manufacturers are using a 124gr FMJ loaded to NATO specs. Heck, I wish I was set-up to load 9mm, like yourself. You'll be able to tweak your powder charge just to the right amount to achieve the best accuracy possible.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I loaded the mid range charge and had no FTE/FTFs. The load was Uber-accurate even at 25 yards shooting freehand.

I think I'm set with this pistol! Thanks again!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Cool! I don't know what S&W uses to sight them in at the factory with but it seems like most manufacturers are using a 124gr FMJ loaded to NATO specs. Heck, I wish I was set-up to load 9mm, like yourself. You'll be able to tweak your powder charge just to the right amount to achieve the best accuracy possible.
    There's not much involved in getting set up for loading your own 9MM.

I use:
    a Lee Breech Lock hand Press,

Lee 9MM Reloading dies ( the kit and also a separate Lee Crimp die),

a RCBS Chargemaster Powder Dispenser,

and a hand priming tool.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not an odd thing at all: more like the expected thing.

Pistol Point of Impact is strongly influenced by the muzzle rising while the bullet is still in the barrel. Lighter bullets mean less recoil and thus less muzzle rise, and so will hit lower in many guns. Full sized guns with a lower bore axis will rise less also. I know both of my M&P 9mms shoot low with 115gr. bullets.

A little subcompact like the LC9s probably has a LOT more muzzle rise than does an M&P, thus it's not surprising at all that 115gr. bullets hit higher out of the smaller gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom