• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blasting

Feb 12, 2020
    Hi:

I have a nice looking knife, not really a weapon, but suspect some BS and maybe somebody can tell me what's really going on.

It is a kitchen knife, Shun Kaji KDM0048 Western Chef 6". Oh WOW, I never looked it up until now:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...aji|4293827963:4294951836&sku=5967831&group=1

This was way more then I expected - it was a gift. It better not be BS at that price but it does not look like the real Japanese blades I have seen on TV shows where they show traditional Japanese sword making The description talks of old world traditions and says something about layers. This blade however looks like it just has a pattern rolled into the blade.

I have about 30 minutes of History Channel blade knowledge so maybe some more knowledgeable folks can tell me about this knife.

Thanks,
    Blasting

...I have been lurking for months and finally signed up to inquire about ammo and my first post on a shooters site has me asking about a knife.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You really aren't going to see old-school Damascus techniques in a kitchen knife that isn't WAY more expensive than the Shuns that WS is selling. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. What you have there IS a layered steel knife, but it's done in the modern style called Damascus Cladding. So there's an interior core, and then a multi-layer cladding of outer stainless that helps with corrosion in your every-day kitchen tool. It gets bead blasted to a high polish, which is why that layered stainless steel seems more like just a textured skin. It's not. Presuming you have a real one from Shun's private WS line, that's a pretty nice kitchen knife. Keep it sharp! Use it!

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Blasting, you may want to post in the Introduction section of the forum. The Shun series of knives ate good, but they are made with modern methods. They traditional styles available, but you'll need to hunt for them.

Q

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    Shun is a good and known brand chef knife. Like others have said, it is not real Damascus, likely laser etched or some other similar process. Shuns are known for being very hard steel and therefore a little easy to chip if you abuse them. Use it for slicing and chopping food only, with decent technique and it will be a great knife.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Shun makes top notch knives. With knives, the price is usually a direct correlation to the type of steel used.

As far as I know, it is manufactured in true Damascus form, albeit with modern manufacturing technology. Shun blades are known for being exceptionally sharp out of the box with a very low angle edge - making it perform very well, but will likely require more periodic sharpening relative to a heavier duty edge.

Definitely purchase and use a honing tool to use between uses. Honing steel is not meant to sharpen the blade, but merely realign the edge of the blade as it will inevitably fold under use as it contacts the cutting board and other hard surfaces. This will keep your knife sharp for a long time. Generally I will sharpen my knives with a wet stone kit about once per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom