• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally I would look for one that also can do the FL live fire to get that CCW also.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I have had my Virginia permit for thirteen years and I carry daily, But I go through Georgia once and a while so I needed the Utah permit because Virginia doesn't have reciprocity with Georgia, I took the class with James Reynolds at ProactiveShooters, It was a very good class not boring at all, But if your worried about being bored I guess concealed carry and the responsiblity that goes with it is not for you.

It also gets you a few other states that the Fla. permit doesn't cover such as Pa.if that's relevant

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    For our students that want to apply for the Florida permit we will gladly schedule a live fire qualification.

We do the qualifications on a regular basis.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    ........ I took the class with James Reynolds at Proactive Shooters, It was a very good class not boring at all, But if your worried about being bored I guess concealed carry and the responsiblity that goes with it is not for you.

Thank you for the kind words! I try hard to keep the material fresh and offer the best Utah class around. I can understand how gun safety can be boring at times. I've taught the class regularly since 2008 and always enjoy teaching it because the students really want to learn, and they seem to enjoy my teaching style and the way our class is presented.. Its a pleasure to offer the class to everyone here at MD Shooters.

To the OP - A number of students not only take the Utah class, but they also get the Florida permit to add a few states. Some also get the Virginia non resident permit, too. They are also good ones to have. We do the live fire qualification for Florida as well.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Proshooter,

Do you offer any classes in MD? I am on the shore and was curious of classroom locations.

Thanks

We don't have anything currently scheduled for Maryland, but we've done quite a number of classes in Maryland over the years. If you have a few people interested in the class, I'd be happy to look at scheduling one near you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If a provider doesn't offer all included , it generally mean that THEY will have hidden charges , it means that they don't offer all of the services.

The scheduling worked out for my friend to have most convienet class from an IP that offered the Fingerprint service only. But that is the difficult one to find. For a price difference of $25 minimum under a one stop. With $12-ish passport photos , and Notary usually free, it's a personal coin toss how much an hours convience is worth.

Not slamming anyone, both aproaches are viable ( as long as provider offers printing ). The location and timing will probably be deciding.

Way back when UT first started Non Res , my Instructor expanded it into 2 days , with one day at the range. Remember Minimum standards exist , but the Instructor can add an unlimited amount of extra training.

But nowdays most providers keep close to the Official Cirriculum , and compete on price and comvience.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dadgum Edit button still hates me. The first sentance of my above post was supposed to say " not have add on fees ".

But way back at last years OP , if one's primary foucous is developing additional skills rather a specific piece of plastic issued by the State of Utah , you want a basic pistol class , followed by an intermeadate level one featuring draw techniques , movement contingencies , etc. Jim ( ProShooter) offers regularly scheduled classes in such , and if or other IP's don't have fixed offerings like that , they can offer personalized training for what you wish.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    I have had my Virginia permit for thirteen years and I carry daily, But I go through Georgia once and a while so I needed the Utah permit because Virginia doesn't have reciprocity with Georgia, I took the class with James Reynolds at ProactiveShooters, It was a very good class not boring at all, But if your worried about being bored I guess concealed carry and the responsiblity that goes with it is not for you.

What do u use for S.C.?

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    I just took it, good info and the instructors wree great. Took it at DPS in La Plata.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Constitutional Firearms in Laurel area offers a Utah class on the second Saturday of every month. It is on the MD Shooters calendar. Class starts at 2:30PM and ends about 7PM.

The cost is $75.00 ($80.00 if paying by credit card) and includes fingerprints, photos and FedEx shipment of your application. The only additional cost is the $51.00 fee to the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification for the processing of the fingerprints and issuing the permit.

Nimrod

"NOT DISAPPROVED"
    Mar 22, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I just took the Utah class by Genesis Firearms at Engage Armament yesterday. I thought the class was very well presented and worthy of recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom