• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    Being new to buying guns in this state, I didn't think there would be a big deal to purchase CZ P01 online and have it sent here to Maryland. Well..... come to find out from my FFL that this particular model of CZ isn't on the handgun roster. So, I either have the choice of returning the pistol, or submitting the pistol for review and be without it for 4 months or longer. Lesson learned I guess. Just shaking my head at the lengths we have to go through to get new models of pistols. It seems pretty apparent that there isn't anything "special" that would require a denial, so not sure what the deal is with the 4 month review. Can someone explain this to me?

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    Welcome to Maryland, don't even try and understand the laws. But if you really want it have your FFL submit to the roster board. You missed the deadline for the 3/10/21 meeting, but the deadline for submissions for the 6/9/21 meeting is 5/19/21. All paperwork is online. The review board reviews handguns for special criteria (I read it somewhere online) to make sure every handgun is safe for sale here, it's just the process. The handgun review board only meets 4 times a year. Good luck.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    It's under BRNO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-235204_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
      Screenshot_20210306-235204_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
      26.6 KB · Views: 239

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    What dontpanic said. There are some CZ pistols that appear under 'BRNO or CZ', others listed under 'CZ USA'. I guess it depends upon which trooper was adding things to the list that day. :)

Your FFL seems to be not very well versed in reading the roster. Several FFL's routinely stock PO1's and have for years.

Well... at least they did before the panic started. They don't stay on the shelves for long now.

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    It doesn't say P-01 specifically the way I read it. There is a P-01 which is different than the CZ-75 SP01, the P-01 is listed after CZ-75.
    When you look at the roster under the "Model" column it does not list P-01 anywhere. Only under "model number". So yes confusing. Best bet is to call Rachel at MSP or email here.
    ​rachel.rosenberg@maryland.gov

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    It doesn't say P-01 specifically the way I read it. There is a P-01 which is different than the CZ-75 SP01, the P-01 is listed after CZ-75.

It specifically says CZ75 P-01 in the snapshot of the list posted above, closer to the top of the list. The SP01 is at the bottom.

When you look at the roster under the "Model" column it does not list P-01 anywhere. Only under "model number". So yes confusing. Best bet is to call Rachel at MSP or email here.
    ​rachel.rosenberg@maryland.gov

That's because the P-01 is a compact variant of the CZ75, not a separate model. It is engraved CZ75 P-01 on the slide, it is written that way on the box, and it is written that way on the roster.

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    I am looking at the Maryland State Police website, not someone's screen shot. The MSP roster is what counts. Check it out for yourself. Again, just call or email Rachel. I have before, she's very helpful.

The P-01 is a different model (SKU) than a CZ-75 SP-01. I can't even find a CZ-75 P-01.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I am looking at the Maryland State Police website, not someone's screen shot. The MSP roster is what counts. Check it out for yourself. Again, just call or email Rachel. I have before, she's very helpful.

The P-01 is a different model (SKU) than a CZ-75 SP-01. I can't even find a CZ-75 P-01.

Yeah, we all know its a different sku. The SP-01 is a full size variant and the P-01 is a compact.

I understand wanting to find it on the list yourself, but you seem to be having issues with that if you can find the SP-01 and not the P-01, because it's listed the same way as the SP-01.

Open roster, filter by manufacturer, choose 'BRNO or CZ', scroll down. This is how it looks from a mobile browser.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-07-00-28-19-1.jpg
      Screenshot_2021-03-07-00-28-19-1.jpg
      38.2 KB · Views: 207
    Last edited:

MD Shooter Envy

Nov 18, 2018
    Towson
    Bullfrog, I was referring to a search of handguns listed on CZ's website. The OP asked about a CZ P01. That's a specific model.
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/

The roster per your own screen lists model as "CZ-75" with variants. What I cannot locate on CZ website is a CZ-75 P-01, only a CZ-75 SP-01 but I did see it on wiki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75

So the P-01 variant of the CZ-75 is on the roster, but not (that I see) is the specific CZ P-01 model itself.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Bullfrog, I was referring to a search of handguns listed on CZ's website. The OP asked about a CZ P01. That's a specific model.
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/

The roster per your own screen lists model as "CZ-75" with variants. What I cannot locate on CZ website is a CZ-75 P-01, only a CZ-75 SP-01 but I did see it on wiki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_75

Ok, so you're saying you found found the CZ P-01 on the company site, but not the CZ 75 P-01 that is listed on the roster. The confusion is coming from CZ's inconsistent marketing.

Look at the first link that you said shows the CZ P-01. Zoom in on the pic and look at the slide. It is engraved CZ 75 P-01. The box will also be marked CZ 75 P-01. What you are saying is the CZ P-01 is the same item that is listed on the roster as the CZ 75 P-01.

So the P-01 variant of the CZ-75 is on the roster, but not (that I see) is the specific CZ P-01 model itself.

There is no other CZ P-01 model out there that isn't a compact 75. For whatever reason, CZ just dropped the '75' from the description on the web site, but it is there in the paperwork and on the actual firearm.

They do have other models like the P-07 which are not 75 variants. This one is, even if they don't always include 75 in the text.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Btw, if this is confusing try looking for the PCR :).

You'll find it on the CZ web site.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-d-pcr-compact-black-alloy-9mm-14-rd-mags/

It's also listed in the wiki article you referenced.

But if you look at the firearm, it says CZ 75 D Compact. It doesn't say PCR, there is no PCR listed on the MD roster, but it is sold in MD. Why?

Probably because it is just a CZ 75 compact with a specific set of features: LCI, serrated trigger surface, different sights and sight cut, and no rail. It has a different SKU from other CZ 75 compacts but doesn't get its own mention on the roster.

:shrug:

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    2A Sales sold me a P-01, so maybe check with them. I intended to sell that gun, I guess I should list it in the classifieds.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    CZ's products have really been growing on me. But their naming/numbering schemes are bordering on pathological - especially on the "tac," "shadow," and colored-grips-mean-it's-the-same-but-it's-really-different variants. I'm sure it all makes sense if you live inside the walls at CZ, but from out here (especially when we have a roster to deal with!) it's a little bonkers. It makes the Glock 45 that's really a 9 downright simple to remember.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have purchased TWO CZ P-01s (and a PCR) here in the state of Maryland from Maryland FFLs.

If your FFL cannot get this done for you right now, you simply need a new FFL.

Yes, CZ's marketing site (which doesn't actually affect on this issue anyway) isn't perfectly precise in nomenclature, but as Bullfrog and others have already pointed out, the CZ75 variant, known as the P-01, IS indeed on the roster and barring being intentionally obtuse, both the OP and their FFL should be able to see and understand this.

bam-az

Nov 30, 2015
    I looked at the roster myself. As pointed out by previous users, it's apparent to me the P01 is indeed on the roster. I will contact them and bring this to their attention.

Another question however is if the FFL won't transfer it to me, how do I get another FFL to transfer it for me? Do I have to get the old FFL to ship it to the new FFL?

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I looked at the roster myself. As pointed out by previous users, it's apparent to me the P01 is indeed on the roster. I will contact them and bring this to their attention.

Another question however is if the FFL won't transfer it to me, how do I get another FFL to transfer it for me? Do I have to get the old FFL to ship it to the new FFL?

Yes. If your FFL won't transfer it to you, time to put any future business elsewhere anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom