• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Anyone here have any first hand information about and/or experience with the SW76 guns built and offered by Jim Burgess? Not the original S&W 76 nor the SW760. SAR ran a story about them a few years ago.

Thanks,

Bryan

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The original 9mm Smith & Wesson Model 76 submachine gun was first manufactured in 1968 with production ending in 1974. 6,000 production guns were built during that period. There were other earlier clones of the S&W 76 made. One was the MK Arms Company model called the MK 760 and another was the Global Arms/Southern Tool’s M76A1. Production of these weapons were just starting up as the machine gun ban was being enacted, limiting production of these submachine guns.

Jim Burgess’ SW 76, a copy of the Smith & Wesson Model 76. The example shown here has the standard gray Parkerized finish.

Lack of magazines was always a problem with the Model 76, with originals being scarce and proportionately expensive. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, the easily adaptable Suomi M31 magazines appeared at bargain basement prices. Not only were the magazines cheap, most of them were in brand new condition. The magazines could be altered in seconds with a Dremel Tool to fit in the Smith Model 76 by simply removing a few thousands of metal from the front guide plate. Accordingly, with the magazine problem solved, the asking prices for the Model 76 began to increase.

The newest submachine gun on the market is the product of Ohio Class 2 manufacturer, and no stranger to the Class 3 world, Jim Burgess. Jim was a once a retail dealer
    for John Stemple’s original line of submachine guns, and also manufactured suppressors for them.

Jim’s new creation has been designated as the SW 76 (without the “&”). The SW 76 guns are manufactured from virgin tubes that were originally registered by John Stemple in 1986. Jim has enough parts and receiver tubes to assemble 100 guns. Jim said that he personally test fires each gun that he builds to insure proper functioning before shipping it off to the customer. All of the parts of the SW 76 will interchange with an original Smith & Wesson M76 except for the bolt. The bolt is not interchangeable due to the reorientation of the extractor and the Stemple receiver tubes have an inside diameter that is slightly larger than that of an original S&W M76, requiring two sleeves that act as bearing surfaces to be
    placed on the bolt to take up the extra space inside the receiver.

( From Small Arms Review)
    http://guns4u.info/?cat=196

I had one about 5 years ago. I never got to fire it. Traded for a Vector Uzi. My brother has an original S&W 76.. It runs Okay.. some jams once in a while. I think it is due to ammo and mag issues. He did not shoot it that much due to the lack of reliable mags. My Brother moved to Oklahoma a couple of years ago and I have not seen that SW76 since then.

IMHO, they are good entry level subguns, a bit better than Stens and up to par with the Gustavs/ Madsen/ Suomi.

Attachments

• sw-76-2.jpg
      sw-76-2.jpg
      11 KB · Views: 1,458

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Jim’s new creation has been designated as the SW 76 (without the “&”). The SW 76 guns are manufactured from virgin tubes that were originally registered by John Stemple in 1986. Jim has enough parts and receiver tubes to assemble 100 guns.

Very interesting SCAR. Do you know of any other manufacturers who have registered recievers that have yet to be built into full machine guns.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Thanks. I'm familiar with the Sten. I was thinking of something along the lines of a Swedish K (looks, function and reliability) but without the associated price tag. This one doesn't seem to have the problems with the extractor that the original S&W 76 has.

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom