• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    So I pickup my first handgun this upcoming Tuesday. I filled out and mailed in my notarized DC on Thursday (yesterday). Is their a stipulation that I have to wait until I receive my gun before I am eligible for a DC? Has anyone gotten their DC before purchasing their first gun? I’ve been getting conflicting answers. Guy at Engage told me that is wouldn’t be approved, but I’ve been told by people with a DC, that it shouldn’t effect me getting approved.

Looking for some experienced answers on this...

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Mine was not approved when I first applied. I called to find out why and was told it was because I have not made a regulated purchase since 1983. Once I told them that I had an 03FFL, it was approved and received within a few days.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    So I pickup my first handgun this upcoming Tuesday. I filled out and mailed in my notarized DC on Thursday (yesterday). Is their a stipulation that I have to wait until I receive my gun before I am eligible for a DC? Has anyone gotten their DC before purchasing their first gun? I’ve been getting conflicting answers. Guy at Engage told me that is wouldn’t be approved, but I’ve been told by people with a DC, that it shouldn’t effect me getting approved.

As it was explained to me, they want you to have a background check done before granting the DC status. They also do not want to pay additional expenses in order to approve the DC, so if you have never purchased a regulated firearm in MD the letter is on hold until your first 'Not disapproved' is granted. They will then use that as a basis to grant the DC status.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They used to grant them without a purchase.

But they changed a number of years ago, that you cannot be a collector before you buy at least one regulated firearm.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Explanation of MD firearm policy is an exercise in idiocy.

The bottom line is that they will spare no effort to make your effort to arm yourself confusing, complicated, expensive, time-consuming and frustrating. If that fails, they'll make it (whatever it may be) illegal.

The advantage of the "illegal" ploy is that is potentially eliminates you from the pool of armed ̶c̶i̶t̶i̶z̶e̶n̶s̶ subjects.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

If your app is already in the mail, there isn't much you can do now anyway. :shrug: Before too long, you will be the experienced answerer :innocent0

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So applying for my DC too soon is illegal??

I don't think they'll kick down your door, shoot your dog, and drag you off to jail for it (although maybe we shouldn't give them any ideas:innocent0). It might just be denied it delayed.

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    I couldn’t read the tone of your response well. I’ve never been good at that. New gun owner here so I want to make sure they can’t use anything against me.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So applying for my DC too soon is illegal??

Not illegal at all, just might be delayed or denied. If it's denied after you receive your first handgun, call them and they will probably approve it at that point.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I couldn’t read the tone of your response well. I’ve never been good at that. New gun owner here so I want to make sure they can’t use anything against me.

LOL...you're doing just fine...

Wait until we rope you into going to Annapolis and testifying on bills they propose. Then we will really rub off on you.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    LOL...you're doing just fine...

Wait until we rope you into going to Annapolis and testifying on bills they propose. Then we will really rub off on you.

Shhh!! Don't tell him! I've been dropping subtle hints to try to make it feel like it's his idea to join us in Annapolis:innocent0

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Guess what, that makes you "on their list."

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Who do y’all go with? MSI? I’ve never been to one but I would like to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally most people go on their own, but invite the new guys (you) and hold their hand the first couple of times.

Don't fall into the trap I did. Go on your own, do your own thing, testify, testify some more, say yes to being a board member on some "part time" organization and end up becoming the President of MSI when you aren't looking.

(At least that's how I think it happened), now I am back to being Joe Citizen and able to run my mouth a little more when I testify.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Absolutely , anyone may and can exercise their Rights , and make their views heard entirely on their own .

That said , MSI does indeed reach out and assist anyone interested in doing so , members or not . And unless you are an Officer , Board Member , or otherwise offical spokesperson for MSI , you may indeed express whatever views and opinions you consider best and appropriate .

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    Who do I call or email about my DC app? I don’t see a direct contact or the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom