• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Gen 2. Oh and timing the gas tube through one of the 4 slots on the barrel nut was a bitch
    Eh? The barrel nut is castellated. Gas tube fits in any position.

FWIW, I really like the new Gen2 (and prior Quantum) hand guards. I dig the Aero COP and E1 families.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Look at the M5 gen 2 barrel nut. It had 4 slots that the gas tube can go through.

(goes and looks up what one looks like...) Ahhhh, you didn't use a M5E1 upper but put a G2 handguard on a regular M5 upper. The MxE1 uppers don't have that issue.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    My upper is the enhanced model. The rail mount is machined into the upper. No need to worry about the timing. I love this thing.

That's all well and good, but I lean towards lapping the upper, during the build process. Can't do that with the enhanced upper with the barrel nut thing already installed.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Depends on the lapping tool. If it isn't much larger diameter than the barrel flange spec it should fit.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Lapping tools as they are designed won't fit most monolithic or certain enhanced uppers.

They often need an extension attached to the device to reach into a monolithic rail, or the lapping face journal needs to be turned down to fit into the receiver face recess.

I now have 5 that are modified in some way for various uppers.

Monolithic uppers often DO require lapping if you want it to be right and not "good enough". The anodizing process can create a non uniform surface in itself.

The whole "my upper is billet, it dont need lapping" is wrong 8/10 times.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Lapping tools as they are designed won't fit most monolithic or certain enhanced uppers.

They often need an extension attached to the device to reach into a monolithic rail, or the lapping face journal needs to be turned down to fit into the receiver face recess.

I now have 5 that are modified in some way for various uppers.

Monolithic uppers often DO require lapping if you want it to be right and not "good enough". The anodizing process can create a non uniform surface in itself.

The whole "my upper is billet, it dont need lapping" is wrong 8/10 times.
    You stated precisely why I don't get monolithic or enhanced uppers. I get the regular old upper and lap it myself, so I know the job is done.

moose&squirrel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 25, 2018
    I just finished a .308 built from all all Aero Precision parts. Everything went together easily and properly. Chose an 18" barrel. Only fired two 10-round mags of good ammo through it. Damned thing is heavy...going to have to go to the gym a lot more. :)

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    My AP has been 100% reliable but I have to admit I'm not finding the .300 barrel to be very accurate.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Aero makes solid mid-tier stuff. No issues so far. I have heard their AR10 lowers/uppers aren't quite DPMS pattern and can have compatibility issues with other brands.

My AP has been 100% reliable but I have to admit I'm not finding the .300 barrel to be very accurate.

I think their barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage. Decent, but not quite up there with Krieger or Criterion.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Aero makes solid mid-tier stuff. No issues so far. I have heard their AR10 lowers/uppers aren't quite DPMS pattern and can have compatibility issues with other brands.

I think their barrels are made by Ballistic Advantage. Decent, but not quite up there with Krieger or Criterion.

Man I have to test again, but the group's at 50y looked awful. I still ring steel at 100 easily, but I'm hitting about 50% less at 200 compared to my .223, which isn't the most accurate barrel either.

I still love the gun though. Accuracy wasn't my top priority for this.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

The only thing I noticed was that the front pivot pins were different. (DPMS pin is too short for the M5 lower)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    You stated precisely why I don't get monolithic or enhanced uppers. I get the regular old upper and lap it myself, so I know the job is done.

This popped up and meant to ask. Do you have lapping tools/supplies you recommend? I've got several uppers I'd like to do in one sitting so they are ready to roll.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Are all M4E1 complete uppers “enhanced” or is that something totally different? What’s enhanced ?
    there are 2 types of M4E1 uppers,
    enhanced=
    815421022339.jpg

threaded=
    download (1).jpg

the enhanced basically has the mount for their gen 2 handguards forged into the upper, you just torque the barrel nut, no shims or timing needed, but it ONLY works with those guards. The other option is to get the gen 2 barrel nut and use shims to time it for any upper, of course you can use any other handguard with the threaded upper. I like the ATLAS series, makes for a sleek rifle, but the gen 2s are large enough to allow clearance for a 1.5" suppressor under the guards. The M4E1 is my go-to for most builds, I really like their handuards too. The middle is a 9" gen 2 on a 9" 300BO, right is a 7" gen 2 on a 7" 9mm, my can is recessed about an inch in those handguards, the left is a 9" ATLAS S-1 with 10.5" 5.56 barrel.

20200828_145943.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom