• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    UPSguy, are you a younger guy about the same age as the counter people at these stores? Maybe it's my imagination but it seems to me that as I got older people like your gun store employees have shown me more respect. Like I say, it may be my imagination but since I've become an old fart I feel like I get more respect from employees like that. Rarely do I have a bad experience like you described and that l have also experienced when I was younger. Any of you older gentlemen feel this way?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    UPSguy, are you a younger guy about the same age as the counter people at these stores? Maybe it's my imagination but it seems to me that as I got older people like your gun store employees have shown me more respect. Like I say, it may be my imagination but since I've become an old fart I feel like I get more respect from employees like that. Rarely do I have a bad experience like you described and that l have also experienced when I was younger. Any of you older gentlemen feel this way?

I think there is something to that; you get pegged as someone with money. When I was a bald faced boy 40 years ago, I did not receive much attention at a gun shop. You are right on.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Yep! And what OP describes has been a reality since Moses worked the gun counter, and carved tablets in stone between customers.

OP, what is truly noteworthy about your observation is this. The more shops you visit, the more striking the personality differences and the business processes and approaches you'll see. Enjoy the visits. It's your money, ultimately to spend where you choose.

There are a couple of shops that I won't set foot in. There are others where attitude on display toward a customer is a career ending move. I'd notably want to emulate aspects of one or two others as absolute business models, were I to open my own shop.

Find a few good shops, and stick with them. You and they both will benefit from the relationships built.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

To some extant, They know I'm there to buy and not dick around or look at plastic holsters and other assorted ******** set out to take a bunch of wall space up.
    Often times they completely overlook the sales opportunity in unfamiliar shops becuase they're all balled up like a can of worms talking to their buddy or frequent patron who they think is going to buy something in the next 20 minutes but rarely ever does.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    United seemed like good people the 2 times I went in. I buy Yamaha outboard parts from a place where the owner is known for yelling at customers, including me. They’re knowledgeable and have lots of parts in stock. I just yell back when necessary.

Benny

Feb 20, 2019
    I’ve had very good experiences at the three Mogo county/Rockville gun shops, which begs the question - at what point is middle-age really just early old age?!?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I start off each gun shop visit by looking the guy behind the counter right in the eye, and saying "I know more than you about what I am looking for and I have a pocket full of money" They like that.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    I have dealt with Engage many a time in 2 years.
    I have only bought a few handguns from them, mostly using them as my FFL to receive and ship .
    My experience has been nothing but higher the my expectations. Maybe it is a age thing, I am 62 .

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I start off each gun shop visit by looking the guy behind the counter right in the eye, and saying "I know more than you about what I am looking for and I have a pocket full of money" They like that.

I heard your standard opening line was "I got a pocket full of rubbers and my homeboys do too... So turn off the lights and close the doors."

;)

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    OP you also have to remember not all customers like being asked every five minutes if they want help.

I hate it when I'm approached by a series of employees one after the other when I'm trying to look around or think over my options. If I want help or have a question, I prefer to just speak up myself rather than being interrupted all the time.

The person behind the counter has to find a balance between helpful and annoying, and has to guess where that line is for each customer.

Jun 17, 2014

We are currently running a special deal... Buy 5 guns and we'll donate a Black Aces Tactical shotgun to SkiPatrolDude.
    Our hours are listed below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom