• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repsolracer22

Nov 26, 2013
    Looking for a little advice here. Here's the scenario:

I recently purchased a house/property in Washington county MD. It has 45 acres and its a beautiful house. My wife and I have been saving our whole lives and we bought this dream home this past summer. There are not many neighbors, only about 5 of us total. Everyone is great. We bleed RED and are gun enthusiasts for sure. I have a shooting range setup on my property, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc etc etc. You get the idea. I wouldn't consider myself a "hunter" ... but I do go on hunting trips once a year out west. But not personally interested in the deer hunting "thing". However, I have friends that are, and that's cool. I have given permission to one friend to hunt on my property and to set up 2 tree stands. He has bagged a couple deer this year. No problems.

There happens to be an adjacent lot next to ours. Its 12 acres. Its vacant. Its just a lot. The guy who owns the lot lives in florida and isnt even around. He inherited the property so he doesn't even have much money in it. There is a realty company that represents the property as it is actively listed for sale. Its insanely overpriced and has been for sale for years with no price drop. The person representing it is a hunter and is a good ol boy from the old school and acts like he owns the property and he's "the boss". So he "supposedly" has permission from the owner of property to hunt there. He (the rep) has given permission to THREE of his buddies to hunt there. They have erected several tree stands extremely close to the property line that separates us. One of the stands was on my property and I told them they had to move it. So they move it JUST over the line onto their side. They have other tree stands that are on THEIR property but are literally aimed at and facing mine. So clearly they like my woods and would shoot something in a heartbeat on my property and run over and get it, then run back to their side. No doubt.

I know DNR exists. And Im contemplating what to do here. Even though they are on their property isnt there some issue with crowding my property lines? My kids are here, neices nephews etc etc playing out there and they are right there. They have LOTS more land on the other side but for some reason have chosen to set up shop on my side. WTF?

I dont want to be a complete dick and get the noise makers and scare off the deer everyday while they are out there etc etc ... but I will.

These people act like they run the place because they have had free reign for a couple years. But they own NO land or property here. I do. We have invested almost a million dollars into this property and these clowns come & go as they please and have nothing invested.

Again, Im all for hunting. But this is irresponsible and dangerous to be that close. And its clear that they only care about themselves and the best hunting spot for them. No consideration at all.

What can I do?

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Get a game camera and set it up on your side of the property covering their stands. Post no hunting/trespassing signs along your property line. If they shoot something on your side you will know and have the proof to prosecute them.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    How much is the 12 acres selling for? Might be worth it in the long run to try to talk the seller down in price.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Maryland law requires that anyone hunting on private land that they don't own have written permission on their person from landowner or the landowner's agent or lessee. I'd give DNR a call. I'd bet they don't.
    If they have written permission they can put tree stands up anywhere on that property. However they cannot shoot game on your land or come on to your land, even to retrieve game they shot on their property, without your permission.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Paint blue lines on the trees (at eye level) to signifiy your property boundary. It appears they do not know the boundary lines.

Deal with the trespassers how you feel you must.

How does the landowner handle trespass problems?
    Make sure that boundary lines are properly marked and maintained. Signs can be used to mark property boundaries. Signs may read "Hunting by Permission Only", "Posted: No Trespassing", or "Posted: Big Doe Hunting Club".

Maryland law also allows property owners to use bright blue oil base paint on trees to mark property boundaries. The paint mark must be a vertical mark at least 2 inches wide and at least 8 inches in length. The mark must be at least 3 feet from the ground but no more than 6 feet high. An observer should be able to see marks to his left and right when standing between marked trees. Your hunters can assist with boundary maintenance.

Issue a signed "Permission to Hunt" card to each hunter. All deer hunters must have written permission in order to deer hunt. Require hunters to provide you with tag numbers of their vehicles. Become familiar with the local Natural Resources Police Officer and prosecute all hunting and trespass violations. Members of the hunting club will be pleased to help you enforce trespass violations.
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/deer/deer_management/deermgmt.asp

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Plant some fast growing pines to block their view into your property. Fertilize them well to speed up growth.

Put up game cameras to watch them.

Get to know the local LEOs on a first name basis.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Put up cameras aimed on their stands and let them know that you did so. Post the property line and inform them that you will press trespass charges if you find them on your property. Make clear to them that that includes tracking a wounded animal onto your land.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Posting signs is costly and time consuming, only to be ripped down by the inconsiderate types.

Signs also requires periodic maintenance, as blue paint doesn't.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I like the fast growing tree idea but whatever you do, don't confront them with any type of firearms in you. That is a great way to catch an assault charge or two and it's not worth it .

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Posting signs is costly and time consuming, only to be ripped down by the inconsiderate types.

Signs also requires periodic maintenance, as blue paint doesn't.

quick and easy way. :)

instead of hauling signs an hammer in the woods.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    1st world problems. I think people skills and some verbal judo to get everyone mutually agreeing about your concern is the best course of action

Its been my experience that 99% of the time posting no trespassing signs gets your intention clear without saying a word if you that route.

I would like to believe that even jaghoff hunters who "aim" their tree stand at your property won't rip your signs down. It seems everyone automatically defaults to the most negative when the situations are usually a clear case of ignorance.

I've found that even the most inconsiderate law abiding people don't want trouble

repsolracer22

Nov 26, 2013
    But isnt there any type of law that they cant be hunting with WEAPONS that close to my property line when i have woman, children etc etc that either jog the property line(s) or play on the property in that areA? Seems pretty irresponsible to allow HUNTERS with guns and weapons to be using them that close to property lines

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    But isnt there any type of law that they cant be hunting with WEAPONS that close to my property line when i have woman, children etc etc that either jog the property line(s) or play on the property in that areA? Seems pretty irresponsible to allow HUNTERS with guns and weapons to be using them that close to property lines

The hunters have to remain 150 yards away from any occupied dwelling.

Otherwise get your family blaze orange attire (hats are the best choice), so they will be visible to hunters.

a word of warning: If you intentionally interupt the hunters on their side of the property line (where they are hunting legally), they can call DNR on you. You are now the law breaker.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

That's some real world stuff there.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Get a game camera and set it up on your side of the property covering their stands. Post no hunting/trespassing signs along your property line. If they shoot something on your side you will know and have the proof to prosecute them.
    :thumbsup:make sure you bolt them to the tree otherwise they will just come over and steal your cameras.

Plant some fast growing pines to block their view into your property. Fertilize them well to speed up growth.

Put up game cameras to watch them.

Get to know the local LEOs on a first name basis.
    or plant a patch of bamboo next to their stand on your side of the property:innocent0

Its hard to get trespassers to quit using your property once its been vacant for years...Im going through that now...I put a gate crossing my only way in to my property by vehicle, posted signs, fixed fences etc. The signs get ripped down periodically but you just put them back up.

Make yourself an atv path right by their stand on your property and drive by a couple times at the last hour of shooting light. If they cause you trouble tell them to move their stands somewhere else...

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Make yourself an atv path right by their stand on your property and drive by a couple times at the last hour of shooting light. If they cause you trouble tell them to move their stands somewhere else...

Interesting wording of the reg on interfering with hunting:

MD NAT RES § 10-422

Regulations to prohibit interference or disruptions
    Hunting on private land

(b) While on private land that is owned by another person or in a hunting area on land managed by the Department, a person may not:

(1) Interfere intentionally with the lawful taking of wildlife by another person; or

(2) Harass, drive, or disturb any game animal intentionally for the purpose of disrupting a lawful hunt.

The restriction against interfering with hunting only kicks in if you are on land owned by another person. It sounds like you can ride your ATV up and down your property line and shoo away game on your own land to your hearts content. Not sure I would want to have that discussion with a DNR officer....

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Interesting wording of the reg on interfering with hunting:

MD NAT RES § 10-422

Regulations to prohibit interference or disruptions
    Hunting on private land

(b) While on private land that is owned by another person or in a hunting area on land managed by the Department, a person may not:

(1) Interfere intentionally with the lawful taking of wildlife by another person; or

(2) Harass, drive, or disturb any game animal intentionally for the purpose of disrupting a lawful hunt.

The restriction against interfering with hunting only kicks in if you are on land owned by another person. It sounds like you can ride your ATV up and down your property line and shoo away game on your own land to your hearts content. Not sure I would want to have that discussion with a DNR officer....
    whats worse you driving on your property or them trespassing and or killing stuff on your property? Im sure they wouldnt have a leg to stand on in that situation. Its sad you have to be an A$$ to get the point across to those people...but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    whats worse you driving on your property or them trespassing and or killing stuff on your property? Im sure they wouldnt have a leg to stand on in that situation. Its sad you have to be an A$$ to get the point across to those people...but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Well, until they trespass, you dont really have a case against them. However, if you intentionally harass wildlife to interfere with their hunt, they have somewhat of a valid complaint about your actions. Driving up and down your property line just to drive away the animals would be kind of dickish behavior, I could see a DNR officer writing you a ticket that you then have to spend money fight in court. Arguing the finer points of wording in a regulation with a LEO rarely works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom