• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MMartini1969

NRA Member
    Jun 15, 2013
    Frederick
    Frederick Co. CLEO ????

Can anyone confirm that Sheriff Charles A. Jenkins is our CLEO for Frederick Co.

110 Airport drive east
    Frederick, Md 21701

Thanks for any help!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This has been reviewed by the forum members several times in other posts so I'm putting it here:

For Handguns:

Handgun must be on the MD handgun roster (or be older than 1985)
    Unless specifically banned by MD or Federal laws (automatic pistol), a C&R handgun typically passes the 1985 date rule and does not need to be on the handgun roster.

Buying a C&R handgun from outside MD seller by a C&R holder in MD (buyer has C&R).
    Buyer is a C&R holder and also an FFL03 (which is which is what C&R holder is). They can receive shipments of C&R items which are not deemed to be illegal within the state. Seller must be willing to deal with C&R holders in MD (some don't). Seller ships C&R item to C&R holder. No MSP form needed as transfer is not done within the state. C&R holder logs item in his/her log book. You need Seller's C&R or FFL number or name/address per log book requirements. No Waiting period. YOU are the FFL doing an interstate transfer per BATFE rules and as long as you follow the rules, you are fully compliant here. If you are out of state, you may do the transfer there in their shop or at a show. You should have your Drivers license and an unsigned copy of your C&R and sign it there. Some Shops, dealers, FFLs etc may not accept this method due to policy or ignorance of the law, That is their discretion. you can not force them to accept your FFL03. FFL03 was CREATED for this purpose. Interstate purchasing of C&R items. It was created before the internet where people went out of state to purchase C&R items at shows and estate sales. You are operating within the law when doing this.

Buying a new handgun (or any used NON C&R) in MD from FFL
    Buyer needs an HQL and show it to FFL to start the transfer.(FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a new (or any used NON C&R) handgun from outside of MD
    Buyer must have it shipped to an FFL and buyer must to show that FFL your HQL to start the tranfer process. FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with them prior to sale/shipping. Handgun stays with FFL during waiting period. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a new (or any used NON C&R) handgun from anyone individual (not FFL)
    Seller needs to bring it to an FFL to do the transfer or an MSP barracks at which time the buyer must show his HQL. Transfer can happen after 7 days if FFL agrees to it (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)(If using MSP barracs, seller decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a C&R handgun from an FFL within MD,
    Buyer need not have a C&R and there is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. Buyer holding a C&R in this case has no bearing on the transfer. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a C&R handgun from an individual within MD,
    Buyer need not have C&R, Buyer and seller go to either an FFL or MSP barracks to do the transfer. There is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. MSP is $10 FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with seller prior to sale. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)(If using MSP barracs, seller decides waiting period of 7+ days)

Buying a C&R handgun from outside MD by a non-C&R holder.
    Buyer must have it shipped to MD FFL, there is a check box on the MSP form for C&R, Buyer need not have HQL. Buyer Need not have a C&R. FFL will charge you a fee to do this. Set it up with them prior to sale/shipping. (FFL decides waiting period of 7+ days)

(edited from a post by SxS)
    10 round Mag limit. This is a MD law and pertains to any transfers within the state. Shipping to someone from out of state to in MD constitutes a transfer within the state of said magazines. (as apposed to shipping of a firearm from out of state to in state which is a federal law and follows FFL rules as mentioned above)
    If the firearm is purchased within Maryland, OR purchased outside the state and sent to you, the 10 round limit must be adhered to. If you are outside the state, you can purchase a C&R with a > 10 round magazine (provided that state does not have a >10 round limit also). The purchase and transfer happened out of state, you can then bring it back to your home in MD.

If you purchase a handgun say that is Non C&R from an out of state 01 FFL, took the > 10 round mags at time of sale into your possession and had the 01 FFL send the handgun it to a MD state FFL. Then you are good because the transfer did not happen in MD for the mags.

NOTE: If you need to go through an FFL to purchase or xfer a C&R, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THE LAW!!!!
    Confirm the procedure as stated here with them and verify they know the law BEFORE you do any sort of transfer.
    Don't just list their FFL on a purchases without calling and talking to them. If you need to find a C&R knowledgeable FFL, just ask here in a post with your location.

Last edited:

Squad40

$240 worth of pudding
    Mar 28, 2009
    Anyone know the process for letting the ATF know your last name has legally changed?

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Can anyone confirm that Sheriff Charles A. Jenkins is our CLEO for Frederick Co.

110 Airport drive east
    Frederick, Md 21701

Thanks for any help!
    Wondering why the CLEO used for NFA items is the ( as far as I know ) MDSP but the CLEO for the C and R is the local County Sherrif or Chief of police.

Any advice on this?

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    That's about the same interval as I experienced. You are as special as am I. :)

I was excitedly checking the mail everyday, and I finally told myself, "Dude, it's only been two weeks. It won't be here that fast." And then as soon as I accept the idea that I won't see it for a while, it's waiting for me in the mailbox. What a pleasant surprise.

firemanrh

Feb 1, 2013
    I received my forms today I know what to do with the green forms but what is this white form I got with it "requisition for firearms" what do I do with it

Atf form 1370.2 thanks

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    I received my forms today I know what to do with the green forms but what is this white form I got with it "requisition for firearms" what do I do with it

Atf form 1370.2 thanks

Did this come in your big envelope of forms that arrives a few weeks after your license? You should be able to set that aside.... Only thing in that big packet I've ever used is the list of C&R eligible firearms book. Assuming of course you know the basics of what you can and can't do with your C&R and understand how to maintain your bound book.

Specific to 1370.2, I believe that is a form to order more forms. I doubt you'll ever need it.

firemanrh

Feb 1, 2013
    Did this come in your big envelope of forms that arrives a few weeks after your license? You should be able to set that aside.... Only thing in that big packet I've ever used is the list of C&R eligible firearms book. Assuming of course you know the basics of what you can and can't do with your C&R and understand how to maintain your bound book.

Specific to 1370.2, I believe that is a form to order more forms. I doubt you'll ever need it.

This came with the application forms

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD

Atf form 1370.2 thanks

That should be a Requisition for Firearms Forms. You can use it to order any forms you might need. Not sure what you would need to order, though. It's mostly for FFL 01s. C&R licensees have it far easier by comparison.

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    So excuse my silly question, because I am very, very new to the thought of buying C&R firearms.

The way I see it is, because it only costs $30 to get your 03 FFL, and most FFL transfers are in the $50 range....even if you only plan on buying ONE C&R firearm, it makes financial sense to get your 03 FFL?

Seems too easy...missing something?

Last edited:

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    So excuse my silly question, because I am very, very new to the thought of buying C&R firearms.

The way I see it is, because it only costs $30 to get your 03 FFL, and most FFL transfers are in the $50 range....even if you only plan on buying ONE C&R firearm, it makes financial sense to get your 03 FFL?

Seems too easy...missing something?

No, you aren't missing anything. However, since it is so easy to get C&R weapons delivered right to your door, there is a tendancy for most of us to buy A LOT more then we would if we didn't have a FFL03.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom