Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Capital Region (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MD State Police Regulated Firearms Collector Application (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59626)

1969Vette June 10th, 2011 07:42 AM

MD State Police Regulated Firearms Collector Application

Hi All,

I am a new member of MD Shooters.

I found this form on the MD State Police site, named Form MSP 29-56 (MD State Police Regulated Firearms Collector Application) at http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/Collec..._Affidavit.pdf

From what I understand, this provides exemption from some of the waiting periods in MD. Is that correct? Does anyone know the process of completing this form (e.g., where to turn-in; the waiting period, etc)?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Ralph

fivepointstar June 10th, 2011 07:44 AM

Welcome Ralph

since you'll be a collector you're able to purchase as many "regulated" firearms as you wish otherwise you're limited to 1 regulated per month. you still have to wait 7 days and you can complete the Form 77 w/ multiple firearms on it.

waiting on the return application is usually 1 month

eruby June 10th, 2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Ensure that this application is notarized.
Submit the complete application by first class mail to the Firearms Registration Section. 1111 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, Maryland 21208.
Others may chime in if you can fax or email it, but I don't believe so.

And welcome aboard sir!

hvymax June 10th, 2011 08:16 AM

It has to be notarized so they probably need the original but you will want copies. My primary reason for getting one is so I can transport for "private display" instead of just to/ from the range.

Straightshooter June 10th, 2011 02:28 PM

One of the prerequisites is that you must have previously purchased 2 regulated firearms in your name.

The collector's status also gives you a bit more flexibility as to where and for what reason you are able to transport handguns.

Inigoes June 10th, 2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straightshooter (Post 1151774)
One of the prerequisites is that you must have previously purchased 2 regulated firearms in your name.

That is not true, If the MSP is stating that then they are not following their own regulations.

COMAR 29.03.01.04

Quote:

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

1969Vette June 10th, 2011 11:26 PM

Thanks for the welcomes and all the replies.

alpm4 June 11th, 2011 04:37 AM

I sent mine in about a month ago by fax. Called MSP Thursday they said I was approved (there is a "Y" next to my name she told me) but letter has not gone out yet. Not sure how long before letter shows up.

Engage Armament June 11th, 2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inigoes (Post 1151779)
That is not true, If the MSP is stating that then they are not following their own regulations.

COMAR 29.03.01.04

Agreed. However, the collector program does not cost anything and is also unfunded. The only reason it was started to begin with was because MD was concerned about the constitutionality of the one-gun-a-month rule so they made an exemption in case someone challenged it. The issue is that without funding they cannot run a background check on the applicant. Therefore they only approve a collector if he is in their system after passing a background check on a regulated firearm. That is the only way they will know if he not a prohibited person as per COMAR.

Inigoes June 11th, 2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engage Armament (Post 1152653)
Agreed. However, the collector program does not cost anything and is also unfunded. The only reason it was started to begin with was because MD was concerned about the constitutionality of the one-gun-a-month rule so they made an exemption in case someone challenged it. The issue is that without funding they cannot run a background check on the applicant. Therefore they only approve a collector if he is in their system after passing a background check on a regulated firearm. That is the only way they will know if he not a prohibited person as per COMAR.

Nothing is in the COMAR, for the MSP to know. The MSP needs to follow the rules, just like the rest of us ;)

There is something going on with the AGC, to get the MSP in compliance.