Maryland Shooters

Maryland Shooters (https://www.mdshooters.com/forum.php)
-   Rimfire (https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Which .22 pistol cycles subsonic rounds best? (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=20570)

ATTYSHOOTER June 4th, 2009 08:39 PM

Which .22 pistol cycles subsonic rounds best?

I am interested in a target/plinker semi-auto .22 pistol that cycles subsonic ammo well to keep peace with the neighbors. Any suggestions?

rrrrrrkevin June 4th, 2009 11:35 PM

you know you still need a suppressor right? and in a pistol the barrel isnt really long enough for subsonic ammo to make any noticeable difference(when using a suppressor)

ATTYSHOOTER June 5th, 2009 08:02 AM

I don't need it that quiet, I just want to be able to say I am doing my best (without paying the tax stamp for a suppressor).

You might have a point about barrel length in a pistol, but I have a rifle with a 20 inch barrel and there is a pretty significant difference between subsonic and ordinary ammo even without a suppressor. The subsonic rounds don't have the loud "crack" as the bullet breaks the sound barrier.

Some target pistols (Ruger, Buckmark) come in 6 and 7 inch barrel lengths. Is this long enough to hear a difference? I don't have any experience with subsonics in a pistol, so I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Half-cocked June 5th, 2009 08:10 AM

You might want to ask over at www.rimfirecentral.com

FWIW, I haven't found any .22 subsonic ammo that will cycle either a S&W 22A, Walther P22, or Ruger 22/45.

I suspect it might be possible to "tune" a .22 pistol to cycle with subsonics, by changing the recoil spring, but that's just speculation on my part.

mike_in_md June 5th, 2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-cocked (Post 319932)
You might want to ask over at www.rimfirecentral.com

FWIW, I haven't found any .22 subsonic ammo that will cycle either a S&W 22A, Walther P22, or Ruger 22/45.

I suspect it might be possible to "tune" a .22 pistol to cycle with subsonics, by changing the recoil spring, but that's just speculation on my part.

I agree that changing the recoil spring will be the solution. I recommend that you call the manufacturer and confirm this. They might even tell you what spring weight works best for a certain ammo brand.

mch28 June 5th, 2009 08:21 AM

On the Browning Buckmark I took 2 coils off the main spring to help it cycle some standard velocity Federal ammo I have. It helped it cycle them correctly, but I was getting a lot of light firing pin strikes. Had to get a new spring for it. I just use the high velocity ammo in it now and save the standard velocity for my internally suppressed 10/22. I have already tuned it to cycle them correctly.

The Walthers won't cycle correctly on anything less than high velocity either. I haven't tried any spring mods yet.

leroygibbs June 5th, 2009 09:26 AM

Go the revolver route, and shoot anything you want.... You can even get them with 7.5inch barrel, but for what it's worth I can definately hear the difference between HV and sub-sonic in my single six with the 5.5 inch barrel....

dwnthehatch June 5th, 2009 10:15 AM

I had a ruger MKIII with 6 7/8" barrel. I never found any subsonic ammo that would cycle it. They were still pretty loud too.

simplegreen June 5th, 2009 10:48 AM

never have any problems with my Walther p22 using Remington subsonic ammo

Mark C June 5th, 2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroygibbs (Post 319978)
Go the revolver route, and shoot anything you want.... You can even get them with 7.5inch barrel, but for what it's worth I can definately hear the difference between HV and sub-sonic in my single six with the 5.5 inch barrel....

I was going to suggest revolver also. Ruger Single Six comes in models up to 9" barrel length.